Do we really know what we want as fans of the Bengals?

The one "down" side to the Bengals winning the Super Bowl is one that I've thought of more than once in the past few decades. In my area of Kentucky, I can count on one hand (well, okay, maybe two if I think hard enough) the number of true Bengals fans I know.  The majority are for either the Cowboys or Stealers.  If the Bengals won one, "fans" would all of a sudden come crawling out of the woodwork, and they'd surely get on my nerves, as all bandwagon fans do.

I do hope they win one (or three) though.

Being a Lakers fan I'll say it is kind of weird.  The moment they win championship it's great...they you realize you don't get anything as a fan and it's kind of weird when people congratulate you b/c you really didn't do anything.  Then when next season rolls around you forget everything and start rooting for the team like they've never won anything.

It's one of those things where I hate my team losing more than I enjoy them winning...if that makes sense.  For me it's more of a relief when they win

as for the topic(well kinda)..

as a fan  you get a year of bragging rights, cool gear to wear the next year, a place in history forever that you were the best team in the world that year..

and you then have a reasonable assumption that you can be that good again the next year, etc..lots of excitement.. 

not to mention free agents might give you the time of day..

OFFTOPIC ticket sales/fanbase evaluation:

having season tickets for the last 10 years+ has taught me that cincinnati, being the size market that it is, has about 20,000 die hard no matter what bengals fans.

so worst team in the league, 20k people are still going to show up.

the next group is the "team good enough to win/reason to watch(includes opposing teams fans in ohio)" crowd, which is 20-40k crowd, the reason it can double is based on my next group, which when activated, doubled the previous group.

so the 20k die hards come no matter what.

20k more come if they win early, or if they draft a decent name in college, or play a good team(broncos, pats, etc), etc. 

Lastly is the showstopper/big name/flashy palyer crowd, this group is also about 20k fans, if you have a Palmer, heisman big arm guy, a ocho cinco, big name, flashy guy, makes predictions, etc.

when you are winning, have a flashy player, and obviously have the die hards, there is a crowd of 75-80,000 fans in cincinnati area wanting tickets..

any combination of the two, and you are going to have trouble selling out games, lowering TV expectations so you dont need kroger and 5/3 bank to bail you out, etc..

we only have two of those..currently.. while we have some vast talent, none of them are flashy, except hill, and only kinda flashy, green is a top WR, but quiet, same with dunlap, peko, etc.. burfict is flashy, but defense is a different beast.. nfl is an offensive game, QB's fill seats..

Most of the fans on here are happy as it is.  The current situation allows them to bitch incessantly, and that is the way they like it.

present company especially.

Most of the fans on here are happy as it is.  The current situation allows them to bitch incessantly, and that is the way they like it.

Yeah and those very same guys are talking about making changes, what are they thinking? Doesn't make any sense. ;)

I've always wanted to attend an AFC Championship game with a rockin home crowd.   AFC Championship tailgate the whole works.

Then if fortune would have it see if I could chase them down and follow them to a Superbowl. 

Relating to Go's assessment: that seems like a reasonable break down. 

Explaining the hype and the feeling of the hype can only be explained if you lived through the 1988 season and the subsequent runs.   Then recreated when the Bengals beat the Chiefs and that continued through winning the division in 2005.

If you think about how consistent winners these past few teams have been then compare to 03-05 it's shameful.   03-05 had everything Burger King bobble heads, enquirer coins, special news segments.    1988 era was even more hype.       2011-2014, IMO, has been met with a collective yawn.

Archived