Welcome back Tate ( no April fools)

The reality is many excuse the playoff loss due to being depleted on offense.   Tate was available that day and I think had 0 catches.    If he lands on your roster due to return ability and is taking a game day spot this is just another area were they screwed the pooch.

It's all fun and games during April to mock the whining and gnashing of teeth but when your throwing to Rex Burhead in January shit gets real very quickly doesn't it? 

The only scenario in which I can think of were people wouldn't be upset is the one that they are just satisfied seeing the orange and black in the wildcard round.

I actually truly believe that Marvin is simply trolling everyone before he exits at the end of next year. Just bring back all the ghosts of past and present to piss everyone off before he takes a defensive coordinator job in Jacksonville or something in 2016.

Here's to the eventual re-arrival of Ohalete, Maurice Mann, and Carl Powell!

Bengals opt to re-sign WR/KR Brandon Tate

CINCINNATI -- In a move that seems to be all about establishing training-camp competition, the Cincinnati Bengals re-signed receiver and kick returner Brandon Tate on Wednesday.

It appears he will be inked to a one-year deal as the Bengals try to determine if the former unrestricted free agent can retain his job later this summer.

Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has said multiple times this offseason that he wants to draft one or two speedy, shifty, smaller receivers who can also factor into the Bengals' special teams as returners. While he never suggested Tate might be re-signed, it has been clear Jackson wants to take his receivers at the bottom of the Bengals' depth chart in a new direction.

Last season, Brandon Tate averaged 22.1 yards on his 18 kickoff returns for the Bengals.John Rieger/USA TODAY Sports

"He has to be a playmaker that is fast," Jackson said about possible draft targets at the combine in February. "I'm looking for a great football player, if we do decide to go that way, who can give us something we don't already have. We have some very talented players at the [receiver] spot, but again, I don't think you can ever have too many playmakers."

Head coach Marvin Lewis appeared to back up Jackson at the combine, suggesting it was time the Bengals look for playmakers in this draft class who had return ability.

Tate's return prowess has been in question for much of his three seasons in Cincinnati. Last season, he was no longer the team's dominant kick returner as cornerback Adam Jones split more time with him in that role than before. Among those with 20 or more returns last season, Jones led the NFL in kick-return average with 31.3 yards per return. His 27 kick returns were the second-most of his career, outpaced only by the 43 he had as a rookie in 2005.

Last season, Tate averaged 22.1 yards on his 18 kickoff returns. He also had 17 catches, his most since 2010. Tate also averaged 9.7 yards per punt return.

He ranks third on the Bengals' all-time list in kickoff returns (127) and punt returns (126). With just 20 kickoff returns and 15 punt returns, he could take over the franchise's all-time lead in both categories this season.

"Brandon has been a big contributor to the success of our team in qualifying for the playoffs the past four seasons," Lewis said in a news release. "We are happy he has decided to remain a Bengal."

Of speed receivers with return ability the Bengals could target in the draft, Miami (Florida) product Phillip Dorsett could be at the top of the list. At his pro day Wednesday, Dorsett ran 40-yard dash times of 4.25 and 4.27 seconds, according to ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker, who covered the event. Walker also reported that Jackson was in attendance for the Bengals.

Some draft insiders are projecting Dorsett to be available when the Bengals make their second-round pick at No. 53 overall.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/16469/bengals-brandon-tate-phillip-dorsett-miami-nfl-free-agency-re-sign-receiver

In a move that seems to be all about establishing training-camp competition, the Cincinnati Bengals re-signed receiver and kick returner Brandon Tate on Wednesday. It appears he will be inked to a one-year deal as the Bengals try to determine if the former unrestricted free agent can retain his job later this summer.

I don't understand why people on here act like any of these recent signings are more than this.  Sims, Still, Tate and just about anyone else that we sign between now and training camp are simply guys that will have an opportunity to make the roster, but have ZERO guarantee.  They have proven an ability to play in the NFL, but it doesn't mean they will make this team.

In a move that seems to be all about establishing training-camp competition, the Cincinnati Bengals re-signed receiver and kick returner Brandon Tate on Wednesday. It appears he will be inked to a one-year deal as the Bengals try to determine if the former unrestricted free agent can retain his job later this summer.

I don't understand why people on here act like any of these recent signings are more than this.  Sims, Still, Tate and just about anyone else that we sign between now and training camp are simply guys that will have an opportunity to make the roster, but have ZERO guarantee.  They have proven an ability to play in the NFL, but it doesn't mean they will make this team.

I heard that last year too.

All I know is that they had Jacoby Jones in for a visit early on.   He would have represented an upgrade in both return ability and receiving ability and also provide this training camp competition that supposedly Tate is only providing.

Jones counts 1.7m  against the Chargers cap this season.

So I hope this helps you understand.            

The reality is many excuse the playoff loss due to being depleted on offense.   Tate was available that day and I think had 0 catches.    If he lands on your roster due to return ability and is taking a game day spot this is just another area were they screwed the pooch.

It's all fun and games during April to mock the whining and gnashing of teeth but when your throwing to Rex Burhead in January shit gets real very quickly doesn't it? 

The only scenario in which I can think of were people wouldn't be upset is the one that they are just satisfied seeing the orange and black in the wildcard round.

"It appears he will be inked to a one-year deal as the Bengals try to determine if the former unrestricted free agent can retain his job later this summer."

All I know is that they had Jacoby Jones in for a visit early on.   He would have represented an upgrade in both return ability and receiving ability and also provide this training camp competition that supposedly Tate is only providing.

Jones counts 1.7m  against the Chargers cap this season.

So I hope this helps you understand.            

You helping me understand something is not anything that I need, but thanks anywho.

I'm sure those peoples' hearts go out to you...

tate was 29th in return yards.. adam jones was #1 in average return yards.

yeh but if they bring in someone new there's that whole uncomfortable getting-to-know-you phase. plus you dont know if the new guy will be active in the community or establish a charitable organization. stop talking about stats or whether someone makes the team better and focus on the important stuff!

It's a 1 year deal. It's insurance in case the draft doesn't fall the way they want. If they draft a better WR/KR who wins the job, Tate is gone.

Explain to me how this is insurance. The team lost Green and Wright for the playoff game. In came Tate as "insurance". He had 0 catches in 49 snaps.

if I have homeowners insurance, but they never pay out for a claim, whats the point in having it?

Archived