Bengals FA News/Rumors

In looking at the Bengals FAs, I personally see a "Big 4" of Marvin Jones, Adam Jones, George Iloka and Reggie Nelson.

I can't see us keeping all four.

I'm hoping/expecting we keep 3 of 4 but won't be shocked/angry if a couple of them get huge contracts and the Bengals only go 2/4. 

Anything less than 2/4 and I'll join in on the meltdown with everyone else...

I'm on the same spectrum.  Less than 2 out of the 4 and I'll be pretty disappointed.  Would probably temper my expectations a little bit for next year.  That would be a whole hell of a lot of turnover.

I'm on the same spectrum.  Less than 2 out of the 4 and I'll be pretty disappointed.  Would probably temper my expectations a little bit for next year.  That would be a whole hell of a lot of turnover.

Yeah, I feel like one of the "holes" at Safety is pretty easy to fill with Williams. But we need to keep one of the two.

With one of the safeties and both of the Jones' back, we can really improve the Defense with BPA in the first round. If either Marvin or Adam leave, seems like we'd almost have to address their loss with our first rounder. That isn't ideal but also isn't the end of the world. 

Vikings expected to release Mike Wallace within the next two days.  I don't think he's much of an X receiver, but would probably be someone we take a hard look at if we lose Marvin.

I know money talks, but with Adam jones desire and fire- I don't see him going to Cleveland to be a total failure for his last contract. If Cincinnati offers him a fair deal I bet he stays where he knows they have a shot to win it all (once Marvin leaves)

I agree with happy's big 4 and I can't imagine that they don't keep at least one DB. Marvin Jones is gone. Iloka is probably gone. If they lose all 4, I will trust them to fill the holes, but they will have to draft players for this year. We won't be able to red shirt all of our draft picks as usual. WRs seems to be the most common position to make a big rookie impact. Even the mid-round sleeper picks.

I agree with happy's big 4 and I can't imagine that they don't keep at least one DB. Marvin Jones is gone. Iloka is probably gone. If they lose all 4, I will trust them to fill the holes, but they will have to draft players for this year. We won't be able to red shirt all of our draft picks as usual. WRs seems to be the most common position to make a big rookie impact. Even the mid-round sleeper picks.

I wouldn't count on that this year. This WR class is not nearly as deep as other recent drafts. 

In looking at the Bengals FAs, I personally see a "Big 4" of Marvin Jones, Adam Jones, George Iloka and Reggie Nelson.

I can't see us keeping all four.

I'm hoping/expecting we keep 3 of 4 but won't be shocked/angry if a couple of them get huge contracts and the Bengals only go 2/4. 

Anything less than 2/4 and I'll join in on the meltdown with everyone else...

We gonna whiff on all four? If we just keep Nelson that is still a fail. Not liking where this is headed.

Bottom line is we don't need a #1 receiver. Other teams do. They will pay him accordingly, and we will never pay him beyond a top level #2. So, he's as good as gone. We will draft our #2 this year, potentially in the same mold as him, and most likely not in the first round either. I'm looking at round 2 for his replacement. We should also get a good comp if he's signed to a #1 receiver contract, so I don't see as forgoing a 3rd round comp pick to re-sign him for outlandish money.

Iloka is a different story IMHO. He's young and quite possibly our #1 starter in that position. No way will we let him walk easily.

but our QB needs 3 #1 WR's 2 starting RB's and a top 5 TE to be effective.. not sure what the WR draft class looks like... but losing sanu and jones is concerning.

but our QB needs 3  a #1 WR's two capable support WRs, 2 starting RB's (one of whom was pretty mediocre outside the red zone) and a top 5 TE to be effective. an MVP candidate until his injury. not sure what the WR draft class looks like... but losing sanu and jones is concerning.

FIFY.  :)

We gonna whiff on all four? If we just keep Nelson that is still a fail. Not liking where this is headed.

I sure as hell hope not. 0 for 4 would be a disaster. We really need to keep at least two of them or things get tough.

Though I guess if we do miss out on 3 of the 4, that would free up money to go after some replacements. JC mentioned Mike Wallace who was cut and that's the type of guy I could see them going after. Jones is better but if Wallace costs 1/2 or 1/3rd and gets you a 3rd rounder next year, it's an okay option. 

Just guessing on things, but I've kind of felt like the Bengals budgeted ~$6M per year for Jones, Jones and one of the safeties ($18M total) and planned to get those 3 deals done. But, if all of a sudden those guys all become $8M per year guys due to the huge salary cap bump, I'm not sure how the Bengals respond...

Archived