Jump to content

The rest of Free Agency


Recommended Posts

because you have to build and develop from your own roster, you can not rely only on FA . and alot of rookies train  for the combine for tee shirt and gym short track times, which is just a number that rarely translates into football conditions.  give them an off season to focus on true football conditioning and training and see how they respond.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd go for a significant signing like Tretter to complete the line because yes, it's just that damned important. But there's no reason not to sign inexpensive veterans for depth at S, 3T, WR, TE, or RB. Sign guys on 1 year deals with not a lot of signing bonus. If some rookie beats them out, great. If not, we have better depth. At CB, we should re-sign Flowers and still use an early pick for a future starter. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Personally, I'd go for a significant signing like Tretter to complete the line because yes, it's just that damned important. But there's no reason not to sign inexpensive veterans for depth at S, 3T, WR, TE, or RB. Sign guys on 1 year deals with not a lot of signing bonus. If some rookie beats them out, great. If not, we have better depth. At CB, we should re-sign Flowers and still use an early pick for a future starter. 

Ive read where Tretter may have knee issues..

He still hasnt signed..

He may not get a big contract due to it..

 

A one year deal would do at a team friendly price (7mil ?)....

 

Do the Bengals want to chance it?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Ive read where Tretter may have knee issues..hey

He still hasnt signed..

He may not get a big contract due to it..

 

A one year deal would do at a team friendly price (7mil ?)....

 

Do the Bengals want to chance it?

at this point in free agency, it depends on who they draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes..

Linderbaum???

that's who Mcshay has us picking at 31.

I any of you have doubts (as I did - honestly, it was reading some of the "short arms" talk here) go to the draft thread and find the video on page 23 and watch the "locked on Bengals" podcast.

It changed my mind.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

that's who Mcshay has us picking at 31.

I any of you have doubts (as I did - honestly, it was reading some of the "short arms" talk here) go to the draft thread and find the video on page 23 and watch the "locked on Bengals" podcast.

It changed my mind.

 

If he's that good I doubt he makes it to 31. Plus we signed 3 OL in free agency this year and drafted 3 last year, how many do we need? Plus we do have other holes FFS, lets try plugging them now.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gupps said:

 

If he's that good I doubt he makes it to 31. Plus we signed 3 OL in free agency this year and drafted 3 last year, how many do we need? Plus we do have other holes FFS, lets try plugging them now.

 

well.....that's the thing - you never know who's going to go early and who might fall.

If they would take Linderbaum, you kick Karras out to left guard and you've entirely fixed your O-line.

Believe me, I'm with you though - I'd rather them bolster the defense.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched some film on Linderbaum.
 

Granted, All-Big 10/Rimington Award winning Billy Price also looked great on film, but I was amazed at the sheer strength and agility this guy has. His experience as a wrestler speaks volumes as well. 
 

In all honesty, this would be a very logical choice, if available. Karras has played more LG in his career than center. If Carman is all that, he’ll push Karras out…but he’ll have to go up more than a few notches to do it. 
 

The most critical piece of the puzzle fixed in one offseason….that would be absolutely amazing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

We had this discussion last year are we really going to rehash it?

 

You take the best player on the board and you figure out the rest later. 

Well if available that would be Linderbaum and teams probably willing to draft the llil phenom..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I just watched some film on Linderbaum.
 

Granted, All-Big 10/Rimington Award winning Billy Price also looked great on film, but I was amazed at the sheer strength and agility this guy has. His experience as a wrestler speaks volumes as well. 
 

In all honesty, this would be a very logical choice, if available. Karras has played more LG in his career than center. If Carman is all that, he’ll push Karras out…but he’ll have to go up more than a few notches to do it. 
 

The most critical piece of the puzzle fixed in one offseason….that would be absolutely amazing.

 

I honestly don’t remember anything special about Billy Price at OSU other than his grit and leadership.  My memory may be foggy, but I seem to remember the OSU line struggling a being highly overrated.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

 

I honestly don’t remember anything special about Billy Price at OSU other than his grit and leadership.  My memory may be foggy, but I seem to remember the OSU line struggling a being highly overrated.

Yep..

Billy was hard nosed and a leader..

He wasn't athletic with short arms..

Linderbaum is a special talent regardless of size i.e. Aaron Donald on defense..

 

Aaron Donald said he learned the art of the sliver technique..

 

Maybe Linderbaum is the utmost protector on 3techs?..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

 

I honestly don’t remember anything special about Billy Price at OSU other than his grit and leadership.  My memory may be foggy, but I seem to remember the OSU line struggling a being highly overrated.

They may have been overrated…however did contribute to a National Championship. 
 

Picked this old Draft bio for Price off the interwebbzz (ignore the Vikings link). Pretty much what everyone saw:

 

https://www.vikings.com/news/prospect-profile-ohio-state-c-billy-price-20518659

 

Long, long, ago I stopped looking at the hype-driven “analyses” of prospects by the Kipers, etc of the media world. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

We had this discussion last year are we really going to rehash it?

 

You take the best player on the board and you figure out the rest later. 

yes........that's what we do here  😁

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Well if available that would be Linderbaum and teams probably willing to draft the llil phenom..

 

I dont think hell be available, in fact I worry most of the guys I like are not going to be available. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the worst case scenario for guys that they'd be interested in would be Trey McBride at TE.  It's not the "best" use of the 31st pick, but we're talking about a player that people (fans/media/etc...) would be "happy" with if they grabbed a handful of spots later via a trade-down.  So the question becomes, would the 5th year option be an acceptable trade-off if they can't trade back and somehow all of their other players are off the board by then?  If he ends up turning into a good TE and gets his 2nd contract and starts for 8-9 years, is it actually the failed / wasted pick that everyone will proclaim it to be?  Again, that's the likely worst case scenario that I see happening but I'm just another know-nothing, jackass fan.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

They may have been overrated…however did contribute to a National Championship. 
 

Picked this old Draft bio for Price off the interwebbzz (ignore the Vikings link). Pretty much what everyone saw:

 

https://www.vikings.com/news/prospect-profile-ohio-state-c-billy-price-20518659

 

Long, long, ago I stopped looking at the hype-driven “analyses” of prospects by the Kipers, etc of the media world. 


This is why Billy Price was drafted by the Bengals:

 

“…received the Rimington Trophy as the nation's outstanding center; named the Big Ten's Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year.”

 

The understaffed scouting department before and during the Marvin Lewis tenure was also a bit lazy (or maybe just spread too thin), and was easily distracted by shiny things (awards).  

 

🦗

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, membengal said:

They had Ragnow ranked above him. I don't think they were distracted by shiny things, I think they panicked when Ragnow went and reached based on need. It was a bad plan executed badly. 


There are other examples of the team picking players that had won awards that were picked earlier than they should have.  Travis Dorsch being the only one that comes to mind right now.

I’m too busy to look for other examples right now, but the pattern is there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, membengal said:

They had Ragnow ranked above him. I don't think they were distracted by shiny things, I think they panicked when Ragnow went and reached based on need. It was a bad plan executed badly. 

Thats the way I see it too.

Ragnow Price and James Daniels .

Pick one...they picked wrong with Price..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cricket said:


 

The understaffed scouting department before and during the Marvin Lewis tenure was also a bit lazy (or maybe just spread too thin), and was easily distracted by shiny things (awards).  

 

🦗

 

This.  A few years ago scouts with a few years of experience were only making ~$80k.  The Bengals never figured out that spending $200k on extra scouts was a lot less money than the $millions they were wasting on bad draft picks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...