Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

$5 million a year for a blocking tight end?

For the best blocking TE in the NFL, yes

Ideally you get him for 3-4 mill but there is salary inflation at the moment and someone is going to offer him more than that if he reaches Free Agency. Hurst got 7 and he isn't top 10 in any particular skill. 

• Upvote 1

^ Drew Sample is the perfect example of why I hate 1 year deals. As they could have easily signed him to a 3 year deal this off season at 2 million a year. 

Now they will have to pay more as he stepped his game up in a big way. 

He's only making 1.2 million for this season, a huge bargain - but he's going to cash in next time. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Ideally you get him for 3-4, but there is salary inflation at the moment and someone is going to offer him more than that if he reaches Free Agency. Hurst got 7 and he isn't top 10 in any particular skill. 

Sample has been the best PASS BLOCKING TE so far this season according to that metric. No one has said he's the best blocking TE overall, although he certainly is the best among the Bengals TE group.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dex said:

Sample has been the best PASS BLOCKING TE so far this season according to that metric. No one has said he's the best blocking TE overall, although he certainly is the best among the Bengals TE group.

His agent will use that metric to argue he is.  Other teams overpay for average players on good teams all the time (see Hayden Hurst / CJ Uzomah, who Sample has the same number of touchdowns as in 2023).

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Drew Sample is the perfect example of why I hate 1 year deals. As they could have easily signed him to a 3 year deal this off season at 2 million a year. 

Now they will have to pay more as he stepped his game up in a big way. 

He's only making 1.2 million for this season, a huge bargain - but he's going to cash in next time. 

Was he not a FA this past offseason? No one is beating down any doors for this guy - servicable veteran. Blocking TE's are not exactly where you want to put cap money.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was he not a FA this past offseason? No one is beating down any doors for this guy - servicable veteran. Blocking TE's are not exactly where you want to put cap money.

Sample took a free agent visit to Arizona but the Cardinals passed on signing him. Ended up back in Cincinnati with a contract offer when the draft didn't go their way when it came to the TE position.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

And…for additional value…he has arguably the nicest-looking family members in attendance in lower section 104. 

Parents are tall/blonde/Nordic…sisters/girlfriend (spouse) tall/blonde/Nordic. Very friendly folks too. Although the girlfriend/spouse and a really drunk yo-yo had some words earlier in the year. I think he was trying to hit on her, but was insulting Drew at the same time. Bet he’s an ace in the bars. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikeslumina said:

Listening to volume pick games,
so they said our defense is just lucky with turnovers and factor that luck out they are 26th. 

49ers game Brock purdy was concused for two games and I guess we got lucky.

I hope we are lucky all way to Super Bowl win. 

The higher you get the more naysayers along the way.

Bengals touch alot of pases that wind up in our hands because of their awareness..

Fumbles do to hard hits or punchouts

make it happen..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mikeslumina said:

I am hoping stroud tries that throw back across defense like purdy did twice. Dax does a pick 6 like Ed reed.

Stroud doesn't  make mistakes in passing much.

He throws to his safest receiver..

Lou has to make sure it's the receiver of least resistance on drives..

Pressure on CJ to make mistakes 

us imperative 

That's where Lou's bag of tricks will be Strouds downfall Sunday..

• Upvote 1

This has to be a particularly frustrating call for Volson. The play wasn’t flagged. The play was chippy all the way around as Hyde joined the pile, tackling Joe Mixon after the whistle himself. The Bills did have a number of players do the same thing or slam players to the ground out of bounds. (***thought I saw some of this at the game... Bills piling on..hsh)

Sometimes, as a team dealing with that, you have to sort of answer the call without going over the edge. Volson did so by trying to insinuate to Hyde he should stay off finished piles.

*** At least he got his money's worth.

• Upvote 1