Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

Somewhere on here it shows Jake Browning is a Free Agent at the end of the season.

I brought this up on another board and got this reply:

"He’s set to be an exclusive rights free agent in 2024, meaning the Bengals have the upper hand in being able to retain him." Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

Does this sound right?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Somewhere on here it shows Jake Browning is a Free Agent at the end of the season.

I brought this up on another board and got this reply:

"He’s set to be an exclusive rights free agent in 2024, meaning the Bengals have the upper hand in being able to retain him." Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

Does this sound right?

Yes. He's technically a free agent since he's not under contract for 2024. But he's not really free to go to another team unless the Bengals decline to offer him a contract before the league year starts in March. They'll surely offer him a contract for next season so he's not going anywhere. He can refuse to sign it if he doesn't like the contract but isn't free to sign with another team.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes. He's technically a free agent since he's not under contract for 2024. But he's not really free to go to another team unless the Bengals decline to offer him a contract before the league year starts in March. They'll surely offer him a contract for next season so he's not going anywhere. He can refuse to sign it if he doesn't like the contract but isn't free to sign with another team.

image.gif.8ab76c779fcfdb22ad6fbb32f93cf330.gif

I'd still sign him and trade him if we could.

A.J. McCarron lurks and I think he is underrated and could

prove a solid back up.

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2023 at 7:47 AM, High School Harry said:

This will, of course, change but as of today we have the 17th pick in the draft.

No way we get the elite player we need here.

Have to trade up.

Because only elite players are selected in the first 16 picks?

We will not trade up, we so rarely do in round one becuse we value our other picks too much. If we land around the 15-20 spot we are far more likley to trade down than up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Because only elite players are selected in the first 16 picks?

We will not trade up, we so rarely do in round one becuse we value our other picks too much. If we land around the 15-20 spot we are far more likley to trade down than up. 

Come on, Icy... you stand a much better chance of getting a quality player in the first half dozen picks than at 17 where we stand now.

Esp if you are looking O line or Tight End (this year) because you know there will be a run on quarterbacks leaving the best at those positions

there untouched.

I know they traded up for Logan Wilson in a lower round and look how that worked out.

Last time that they traded up in the first round that I recall is for KiJana Carter.

Yes, they do value those draft picks and hoard them like Mike Brown does the coins in the Lumina's seat cushions.

Why?  Because we're Bengals, son.

Rather go for quality rather than quantity.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Come on, Icy... you stand a much better chance of getting a quality player in the first half dozen picks than at 17 where we stand now.

Esp if you are looking O line or Tight End (this year) because you know there will be a run on quarterbacks leaving the best at those positions

there untouched.

I know they traded up for Logan Wilson in a lower round and look how that worked out.

Last time that they traded up in the first round that I recall is for KiJana Carter.

Yes, they do value those draft picks and hoard them like Mike Brown does the coins in the Lumina's seat cushions.

Why?  Because we're Bengals, son.

Rather go for quality rather than quantity.

They will not give up a second rounder to move up in the first. In the second or thrird round they have been willing to move up and give up a lesser pick. I amd just going from thier history.

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:47 AM, High School Harry said:

This will, of course, change but as of today we have the 17th pick in the draft.

No way we get the elite player we need here.

Have to trade up.

Elite players are found throughout the draft. Expecting any of them to be a quick fix is setting yourself up for disappointment.

They've had pretty good luck drafting corners in that neighborhood, too.

10 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

He is a far better run blocker than he is a pass blocker.

He is built to move forward, not backward.

Same with Jackson Carman.

Play action let's linemen power forward opposed to Shotgun where they're on their heels..

May be a huge reason so many Olinemen haven't played well here 

• Like 2

Bengals' Ja'Marr Chase provides holiday shopping experience for elementary students

CINCINNATI —

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase gave 100 local elementary students a day to remember on Monday with an exclusive winter shopping experience.

One day after Cincinnati's win over the Indianapolis Colts last weekend, Chase visited Woodford Academy in Kennedy Heights for the shopping experience.

The 23-year-old Chase partnered with Integrity Express Logistics and Activities Beyond the Classroom for the event.

The shopping event is one of several outreach initiatives that Chase has participated in this year. In November, Chase visited Silverton Elementary School to pass out food for Thanksgiving.

Elsewhere in Cincinnati on Monday, other Bengals players, including quarterback Jake Browning, led a community event at the Boys & Girls Club in West Price Hill and cornerback Chidobe Awuzie held a holiday shopping spree with the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati and The Awuzie Kickstep Foundation.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/cincinnati-bengals-jamarr-chase-shopping-woodford-academy/46096301#

• Upvote 2