RB Offseason 2023

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mixon struggles in pass protection but banking on any rookie to be significantly better in that area seems like a stretch to me.  Typically rookie RB do not play on third down for exactly that reason.  It takes time to learn and adjust to the speed and blitz schemes in the NFL.  That’s not to say I want Mixon to stay at his current salary.  Ideally, I want him to take a pay cut and develop his replacement behind him.  I just don’t think trusting a rookie to be the lead back is a good move.  

Yeah one of our scouts was on the locked on podcast about a month ago saying that blocking for rookies doesn't happen right away. 

11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah one of our scouts was on the locked on podcast about a month ago saying that blocking for rookies doesn't happen right away. 

Understandable..

This is the "Bigtime" for rooks and 

how quickly they learn all aspects of their position helps the team in the long run..

This is why they draft so many former captains and high football IQ players..

Good formula ..

This is where I landed

(Round I'd take him)

Orange-Favorites

V-Visit

I think the sweet spot to take a RB is the end of round 3 based on the number of RBs I thin can be bonafide starters (9) and previous drafts. I doubt 9 go before our 3rd rounder. 

RB
Bijan Robinson-Texas (1)

Jahmyr Gibbs-Bama (2)

Zach Charbonet-UCLA (2)
Tank Bigsby-Auburn (3)
Sean Tucker-Syracuse (4)
Kendre Miller-TCU (4)

Tyjae Spears-Tulane (4)

Dwayne McBride-UAB (4)
Roschon Johnson-Texas (4)

Israel Abanikanda-Pitt (4)
Kenny McIntosh-Georgia (4)

Zach Evans-Ole Miss (5) V

Devon Achane-Texas AnM (5) KR
Keaton Mitchell-E Carolina (5) V
Deuce Vaughn-K State (5)

Sarodorick Thompson-T Tech (U) 3C
Denereic Prince-Tulsa (7) JH
Chris Rodriguez-Kentucky (7) 2C LC

Xazavian Valladay-Az St (U) V

This team throws the ball 70% of the time, and the throws to the RB position guy last year were leaving yards on the table as neither Mixon nor Perine had any explosiveness left.

If Gibbs is taken, which, I would be all for, he's getting 20+ touches a game as a rookie - a lot of that in the passing game - and would bring a missing element to this offense and punish teams for two high safeties. 

51 minutes ago, membengal said:

This team throws the ball 70% of the time, and the throws to the RB position guy last year were leaving yards on the table as neither Mixon nor Perine had any explosiveness left.

If Gibbs is taken, which, I would be all for, he's getting 20+ touches a game as a rookie - a lot of that in the passing game - and would bring a missing element to this offense and punish teams for two high safeties. 

Yep. Gibbs would help more than just the passing game directly, he would punish teams on quick handoffs out of the shotgun for always trying to defend Burrow and the WRs with light boxes. JaMarr & Jahmyr would become the most explosive duo in the NFL.

With all that said, I'm still expecting either DL or CB at #28.

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

What would you think of Gibbs as the future slot receiver?

Chase Higgins and Gibbs...

Gibbs can run routes like a WR, but I don't know why you wouldn't want him doing that out of the backfield in the shotgun. Teams never know who to put on him or where/when he will be used as a receiver. Hard to cover a player like that.

45 minutes ago, dex said:

Gibbs can run routes like a WR, but I don't know why you wouldn't want him doing that out of the backfield in the shotgun. Teams never know who to put on him or where/when he will be used as a receiver. Hard to cover a player like that.

Agree..

Another Deebo or McCaffery..

Niners love that type of back..

Watch them draft him and cut or trade McCaffery's contract..😎

As I have said before, Gibbs likely has the biggest impact of any player, unless it's a starting RT. 

I would celebrate a Gibbs pick as I think he puts this offense over the edge and into Vegas come February. 

I would say it's likely a 51% chance Gibbs is the Bengals pick if he's on the board at 28 ... next highest % is probably Forbes at 33% 

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

As I have said before, Gibbs likely has the biggest impact of any player, unless it's a starting RT. 

I would celebrate a Gibbs pick as I think he puts this offense over the edge and into Vegas come February. 

I would say it's likely a 51% chance Gibbs is the Bengals pick if he's on the board at 28 ... next highest % is probably Forbes at 33% 

Completely agree. As badly as we need a RT, it looks like starting caliber ones will be long gone at 28. If this guy's still there I hope they grab him. The tape on him shows instinctual stop/start and cut skills that were very impressive, making guys right in front of him miss badly. Jerick McKinnon was a large part of why the Chiefs made it to, and won, the Super Bowl last year. Gibbs could fill that role, only he looks like a much better pure runner.

Archived