RB Offseason 2023

On 4/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Jamie_B said:

This draft is deep at CB, TE, and RB. All positions of need imho. How the team prioritizes things is anyone's guess. Their buckets may not look like what we or others think they should. The only position I worry about that we may or may not get a guy is at RT, at every other position I think there will be a player available to us.

My dream draft is 

Emmanual Forbes

Dawan Jones

Sam LaPorta

Israel Abanikanda

The top Nose Tackle left

Laporta is going early to mid 2nd, that would be great but it ain't happening 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, sparky151 said:

Gibbs is explosive but not great running between the tackles.

I'm not sure this is exactly true.  I thought he ran just fine between the tackles.  He's not going run people over, but he hits the hole quickly and gets what's there and a lot of times more.

PFF isn't perfect, but averaging over 6 yards per carry b/w the tackles.

image.thumb.png.9942dfd41235d17166bd930281939970.png

18 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

With the Bengals besides Brown what other tackle will any RB run between?

Go back and read one of the main reasons folks were saying Mixon was sucking.....it was the Oline.

To me its simple, it needs to be OT at 28. 

Brian Callahan did a podcast yesterday. He may not be the one who makes the decision, but he all but dismissed taking OT at #28. He said the position was extremely weak this year. Reminded people that they already have a lot of OTs with experience on the team. Callahan is all about getting Burrow more weapons in the passing game. TE/RB early-to-mid then a "4th WR" later on. If they take an OL at all in the draft, Callahan made it sound like it would more likely be an interior guy for depth.

1 minute ago, dex said:

Brian Callahan did a podcast yesterday. He may not be the one who makes the decision, but he all but dismissed taking OT at #28. He said the position was extremely weak this year. Reminded people that they already have a lot of OTs with experience on the team. Callahan is all about getting Burrow more weapons in the passing game. TE/RB early-to-mid then a "4th WR" later on. If they take an OL at all in the draft, Callahan made it sound like it would more likely be an interior guy for depth.

We have heard that same crap about the OL is fixed since Whitworth left.  How has that worked out for them?

1 hour ago, dex said:

Smoke.... 

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Go back and read one of the main reasons folks were saying Mixon was sucking.....it was the Oline.

Maybe if there’s one there worth taking but it’s not likely. Once Wright goes off the board before we pick, that’s pretty much it for first round OTs. 

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I dunno.  This is shaping up to be a 2017 type draft for tackles.  They all sucked.  Definitely a crap shoot position in the draft.  

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I dunno.  This is shaping up to be a 2017 type draft for tackles.  They all sucked.  Definitely a crap shoot position in the draft.  

If you are talking about LT I do not disagree.  But I think several of those guys would be an improvement on what the Bengals plan to throw out on the right side.

At least they would be better than the backups on the team.

40 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I do not disagree that the OT class is weak.  I do not mean just take anyone.  But if either Wright-Jones-Jones-Harrison falls to 28 it would be very hard not to take one of them.

Dwand Jones would be a monumental reach at 28. No way they’re doing that. 

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Dwand Jones would be a monumental reach at 28. No way they’re doing that. 

Dawand might be a reach, but I do not know if it would be monumental or not.  Sometimes when you are picking at the bottom of a round its is either hoping a better player falls to you or reaching for a player below but close to your slot.  Dawand might fall out of the first round.  But does he fall to 60?  I am not sure about that?

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

We have heard that same crap about the OL is fixed since Whitworth left.  How has that worked out for them?

It was fine last year until losing 3 OL starters in 3 consecutive games in January. Do you think any team in the league is deep enough to survive that and win the Super Bowl? I certainly don't. This offseason Cincinnati made maybe their biggest free agency signing ever at the OT position. They actually brought in 2 free agent OTs even though they didn't lose any of their own tackles to FA. They chose to address the position with experienced guys.

If the OT draft is viewed as very weak to the team's OC, do you want them to draft one in the 1st round anyway? Do you think the prospect will play like a 1st rounder just because he's drafted in the first round?

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Saying this is a very weak OT class is most definitely not smoke. It’s 100% truth. 

OK 

But if at 28 there is an ORT there who is better than the crap we have,

should we take him and upgrade?

Certainly who is there at the end of the second round will be a lot worse than

perhaps what we already have.

Is Jones > Collins/Carman/Adeniji/Joe Baggadonuts?

Keeping Joe upright and (gotta say it) heathy is the main key to the season.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

Dawand might be a reach, but I do not know if it would be monumental or not.  Sometimes when you are picking at the bottom of a round its is either hoping a better player falls to you or reaching for a player below but close to your slot.  Dawand might fall out of the first round.  But does he fall to 60?  I am not sure about that?

He’s likely there at 60 and the Bengals likely pass on him there too. He’s essentially a mid-round OT that MIGHT get lucky and go a little higher than he should just because the class is so weak. I’d pick him in the 3rd probably but definitely not in rounds 1 or 2. 

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Keeping Joe upright and (gotta say it) heathy is the main key to the season

That may be but you don’t take lesser players just to fill a need. That is the absolute surefire way to end up with a bust as a first round pick. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He’s likely there at 60 and the Bengals likely pass on him there too. He’s essentially a mid-round OT that MIGHT get lucky and go a little higher than he should just because the class is so weak. I’d pick him in the 3rd probably but definitely not in rounds 1 or 2. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. 

He may not be a first-rounder, and he has some issues with his not testing that bother me, but I would be shocked if he's there at 60 and we pass. 

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Saying that the OT class is weak is taking into consideration the group as a whole.  It does not necessarily mean that there aren’t a couple of OTs that are worthy of being selected in the first round.   

Yeah I feel like there will be 4 maybe 5 taken in the first round

The NFL is in general need of good O-linemen. There are 4 OTs who will certainly go in round 1. Skoronski may end up at guard in the NFL, but Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones are good prospects as is Darnell Wright. Dawand Jones and Anton Harrison have a good chance of going in round 1. Maybe Schmitz or Torrence goes in round 1 as well. If only the top 4 tackles go in round 1, that would be a historically low number. The last 4 guys I listed should be off the board by pick 40 or so. If we don't take a tackle in round 1, our choices would be guys like Bergeron, Freeland, or Morris later on and some of them may not make it to us.

Even if you think Dawand Jones is the 50th best overall player, he's still a great value add for the Bengals at 28. He has good tape and physical qualities and makes it possible to shed a lot of unneeded cap in guys like Jonah and Collins. If Wright or B Jones fall to 28, I'd be fine taking them instead. Protecting Burrow is the key to our postseason success and upgrading the running game would be nice too. It's more important than any positional need on defense and given the depth at TE and RB, it should be fairly simple. 

Archived