RB Offseason 2023

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That doesn't really argue for taking a running back though. Yes, the draft is a crapshoot. Yes, Bijan Robinson looks like one of the better players in this year's class. But also yes, he's still a running back and they aren't hard to find. Using pick 28 on a RB has a high opportunity cost.  The difference between Robinson and a 3rd or 4th round back are probably less than the differences at other positions. 

I dont disagree, but I think King makes a valid point; at least something to consider. 

• Upvote 1

How is a bonafide weapon that defenses have to fear and game plan for over the next 5 years not worth the 28th pick in the draft? 

I don’t get it. 

Bijon Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs in this offense with Burrow would be absolutely lethal. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

How is a bonafide weapon that defenses have to fear and game plan for over the next 5 years not worth the 28th pick in the draft? 

I don’t get it. 

Bijon Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs in this offense with Burrow would be absolutely lethal. 

Both worthy backs.

Question is overall priority with 1st pick...

16 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don’t get it. 

The same could be said for Devon Achane or Tyjae Spears and they can be drafted after round 1. It's the opportunity cost that discourages teams from taking RBs in the first round. 

• Like 1

This draft is deep at CB, TE, and RB. All positions of need imho. How the team prioritizes things is anyone's guess. Their buckets may not look like what we or others think they should. The only position I worry about that we may or may not get a guy is at RT, at every other position I think there will be a player available to us.

My dream draft is 

Emmanual Forbes

Dawan Jones

Sam LaPorta

Israel Abanikanda

The top Nose Tackle left

• Upvote 1

I don’t get it. 

Because they're just rookie running backs. They may be pretty good, but they're not the massive game-changer OMG the other team will cry themselves to sleep guaranteed HoF Superbowl MVPs you're expecting.

They're rookie RBs potentially going to a team that runs the ball less than all but a few & mostly needs them to block. They may blow out a knee in camp. They may even plain old suck at the NFL level, crazy I know but that does happen.

While I guess it's possible these guys end up the clear BPA at 28, that seems unlikely. Given the current roster holes and the style of offense, their value to this team is questionable 

• Upvote 1

I don’t get it. 

Who's running between the tackles? Prob not Gibbs for long

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The same could be said for Devon Achane or Tyjae Spears and they can be drafted after round 1. It's the opportunity cost that discourages teams from taking RBs in the first round. 

When was the last time the Bengals drafted a RB in the first round...KiJana Carter comes to my mind without doing any research. It ain't happening, 2nd round at the most but we have more pressing needs like TE, CB, OT, WR, DE, and DT before RB. We have 3 guys that were drafted on the roster that have proven capable when given opportunities, the Bengals need to improve the offensive line, not RB room IMO. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

When was the last time the Bengals drafted a RB in the first round...KiJana Carter comes to my mind without doing any research. It ain't happening, 2nd round at the most but we have more pressing needs like TE, CB, OT, WR, DE, and DT before RB. We have 3 guys that were drafted on the roster that have proven capable when given opportunities, the Bengals need to improve the offensive line, not RB room IMO. 

Chris Perry was a first rounder wasn't he?

I really like Gibbs from Bama, I hope we can get him somehow   

21 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don’t get it. 

I feel you. Pick #28 is practically the 2nd round anyway.  The Jets took Breece Hall with the 4th pick of the 2nd round last year, got widely praised for it. Was probably the best offensive player on the team until he got hurt. 

But can you imagine the blowback if the Jets had taken Hall at the back end of the 1st round instead? You can't take a RB with a 1st round pick! The horror, the horror!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Yes he was and how did that play out... oft-injured and didn't see a 2nd contract.

If Gibbs is around in the 2nd maybe, but I doubt it. 

Yeah, I actually meant in the second.   Maybe even trade up a little if needed. 

3 hours ago, dex said:

I feel you. Pick #28 is practically the 2nd round anyway.  The Jets took Breece Hall with the 4th pick of the 2nd round last year, got widely praised for it. Was probably the best offensive player on the team until he got hurt. 

But can you imagine the blowback if the Jets had taken Hall at the back end of the 1st round instead? You can't take a RB with a 1st round pick! The horror, the horror!

Concur. I love how everybody seems to know which positions you can and can't take in the 1st round. LaDainian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, and Christian McCaffrey are just a few 1st round RBs who made massive impacts. Heck, Ja'Marr Chase practically turned this franchise around and we (almost) all wanted Sewell. Most of us were pretty happy to get a much needed O linemen in the form of Jonah Williams and well.....  The draft is a gamble. The trick is to balance the team's needs with DILIGENT research into who's available. The team seems MUCH better at this lately, and it's fun to be so excited every draft now. All that said, I'd take Wright or Jones, LOL.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

He's lucky they even want him back.

Fuck the cut..release him and get fresh legs..

I agree, they must really like him because most teams would have cut his ass with the high salary, average production, and off the field issues.

He better take the pay cut and play like a man possessed. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Prefer to cut him and replace him with someone younger and faster. Even if he agrees to a pay cut we still need to draft a good RB. 

I'd be ok to cut him and replace him with an exact copy that isn't an off field liability. A guy that can pick up a blitz would be awesome. Catching and running with the ball are just a bonus at this point.

• Upvote 3