The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I stand corrected, I myself have mentioned it enough times that even the average guys are getting above average pay.  Someone will likley pay him and we can get a 3rd round comp pick (before offsets). Hofefully we can get one of the two good RT propsects in round 1. 

There's a limit of 6 3rd round comp picks. The 3rd rounders given out for developing minority candidates are in addition. I doubt Jonah gets a top 6 contract though it depends on who else re-signs or is tagged. If we don't tag Tee, he may get a top 6 contract. 

• Upvote 1

We don't necessarily need a cover LB, we need someone who can cover TEs. We had such a player a couple years ago so he left and took a paycut on a 1 year deal with the Falcons. We could probably bring Tre Flowers back for 2 mil per year and fill that need. We should at least tag Tee so we have 2 top WRs for defenses to worry about. Adding a legitimate TE would be nice. There are quite a few free agent TEs who won't break the bank but are a lot better than Irv Smith. Assuming Boyd leaves but Irwin re-signs, we should be ok at WR for next season. We'd save 5.7 mil by cutting Mixon and could probably sign D'Andre Swift or a similar back for that amount. Or draft a rookie on day 3 and use the money elsewhere.

Assuming Jonah leaves and Reader isn't ready to go for week 1, we have immediate needs at RT and DT. My view is that our RT shouldn't be a guy like Latham or Fuaga because he'll be facing TJ Watt and Myles Garrett regularly plus the Ravens lead the league in sacks. He should be able to play LT if possible. So guys like Mims, Paul, Morgan, or maybe Sumataia. For DT guys like Newton or Mike Hall are 3Ts, more of a BJ Hill replacement than a Reader replacement. Sweat in round 2 would be an obvious candidate. 

Once we have RT and NT covered, then we can look for talent at TE, RB, C, CB. We're going to need all 9 picks this year. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We don't necessarily need a cover LB, we need someone who can cover TEs. We had such a player a couple years ago so he left and took a paycut on a 1 year deal with the Falcons. We could probably bring Tre Flowers back for 2 mil per year and fill that need. We should at least tag Tee so we have 2 top WRs for defenses to worry about. Adding a legitimate TE would be nice. There are quite a few free agent TEs who won't break the bank but are a lot better than Irv Smith. Assuming Boyd leaves but Irwin re-signs, we should be ok at WR for next season. We'd save 5.7 mil by cutting Mixon and could probably sign D'Andre Swift or a similar back for that amount. Or draft a rookie on day 3 and use the money elsewhere.

Assuming Jonah leaves and Reader isn't ready to go for week 1, we have immediate needs at RT and DT. My view is that our RT shouldn't be a guy like Latham or Fuaga because he'll be facing TJ Watt and Myles Garrett regularly plus the Ravens lead the league in sacks. He should be able to play LT if possible. So guys like Mims, Paul, Morgan, or maybe Sumataia. For DT guys like Newton or Mike Hall are 3Ts, more of a BJ Hill replacement than a Reader replacement. Sweat in round 2 would be an obvious candidate. 

Once we have RT and NT covered, then we can look for talent at TE, RB, C, CB. We're going to need all 9 picks this year. 

Mims intrigues me, he has the tools, just not a lot of playing time compared to the other guys.

20 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Remembered the name and looked it up, he used to play here from 2008-10.

Wonder who is responsible for TEs there before him? A number of the guys I listed were there before Hodge was the coach. Iowa seems to be TE-U.

Couldn't find a historical list of Iowa TE coaches but found this article interesting?

https://magazine.foriowa.org/story.php?ed=true&storyid=2354

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Good stuff. Gonna have to start doing some research and tape watching on Luke Lachey

On PFF Big Board he is prospect #64 and the 3rd TE. 

6' 6" 253 lbs. He must have been injured for part of this year as it shows only 10 catches but 28 catches in 2022. Over 13 yards per catch in both 2022 and 2023. 

Edit - use this for the 2025 draft LOL

• Upvote 1

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On PFF Big Board he is prospect #64 and the 3rd TE. 

6' 6" 253 lbs. He must have been injured for part of this year as it shows only 10 catches but 28 catches in 2022. Over 13 yards per catch in both 2022 and 2023. 

Looks like it. 

Iowa's Lachey likely out for season after right ankle surgery - ESPN

Crazy you can get hurt and still be considered the #3 TE. Wonder if this draft is just weak of if he is just that good?

55 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Looks like it. 

Iowa's Lachey likely out for season after right ankle surgery - ESPN

Crazy you can get hurt and still be considered the #3 TE. Wonder if this draft is just weak of if he is just that good?

Last year's draft at TE was packed, Dane Brugler only has 1 TE in his last Top 50 and called the TE class weak.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

This isn't a great TE class. There is 1 great TE prospect in Bowers, then a bunch of guys probably led by Sanders. 

The Ole Miss TE that owned Penn St the other day looked really good… at least, as a pass catcher. Forget his name but he was a transfer from U of Memphis. Had a great game. 

Michael Trigg.

He reminds me of Hudson really….who btw, I’m perfectly happy with. I think he could put up some pretty good numbers with Burrow throwing to him. He’s growing into a weapon, IMO. Bring back Sample, add a mid-round upside guy and call it a day at that spot. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Michael Trigg.

He reminds me of Hudson really….who btw, I’m perfectly happy with. I think he could put up some pretty good numbers with Burrow throwing to him. He’s growing into a weapon, IMO. Bring back Sample, add a mid-round upside guy and call it a day at that spot. 

I think he's referring to Prieskorn. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I think he's referring to Prieskorn. 

Yes, that's him. Forgot his name, thanks. He didn't look like a speed demon but he had good size and great hands. But I read somewhere where he announced his intention to go back to Ole Miss next season. 

One other guy I liked that has had bad injury luck - Erick All. He was at U of Michigan, and looked like the real deal to me. Then he got hurt and ended up transferring to Iowa. He got hurt again (knee, in mid-October, after Lachey got hurt)... so I'm sure he won't get a lot of draft love - but he's talented. Might be worth a flier as a late pick or UDFA. 

• Upvote 1