Keeping our enemies close: 2024

23 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hate the Stealers as much as anyone but I have to say these were 2 good moves. Wilson is probably done but they are paying him nothing and as much as he is a locker room shithead, the Stoolers seem to actually like that. 

Fields is better than Pickett and I will give the Stoolers credit for realizing what most knew, Pickett was never going to develop. So they cut thier losses. 

neither of these guys or Burrow or Lamar obviously but they will keep the Stoolers in the mix. 

I dunno. There isn’t much history of a QB literally being given away or cut by 2 decent organizations then having a Renaissance and becoming good. Wilson is just weird and he has never been a great QB.   

Fields has been terrible in Chicago.  Sure, you can blame the organization to some extent but he really likes throwing the ball to the wrong colored jersey.   If you can’t do it by year 3 you simply can’t do it. 

I don’t see how taking on 2 marginal and cheap QBs can be a great move.  You are basically giving up on yet another season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I dunno. There isn’t much history of a QB literally being given away or cut by 2 decent organizations then having a Renaissance and becoming good. Wilson is just weird and he has never been a great QB.   

Fields has been terrible in Chicago.  Sure, you can blame the organization to some extent but he really likes throwing the ball to the wrong colored jersey.   If you can’t do it by year 3 you simply can’t do it. 

I don’t see how taking on 2 marginal and cheap QBs can be a great move.  You are basically giving up on yet another season. 

I think they hope that if Wilson (or Fields) can get them more points than Picket did that they will be fine.

Not unreasonable, but neither of those guys are championship QBs either so.....

19 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Maybe I should have said a good move for us? LOL.

I see these as good moves in the sense that they quickly recognized Pickett Mittens was not going to cut it so these moves are transitioanl to keep them 'competitive' or seen as such. Wilson is a head case but so was Jen and too many other Stealers to count. Fields is a cheap back-up shot in the dark type at this point. 

The problem for almost all teams in the AFC is theysee thier QB's compared to Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and it is bad enough with one of those types in the conference let alone 3. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think they hope that if Wilson (or Fields) can get them more points than Picket did that they will be fine.

Not unreasonable, but neither of those guys are championship QBs either so.....

I understand this reasoning but you are still basically putting yourself in draft purgatory.   You get 9 to 11 wins and what?   Another draft unable to get one of the top QB prospects?   One and done in the playoffs?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The impression I get is that Pickett is kind of an entitled chode. Thank kind of "I am not competing for a position that should be mine" stuff is locker room cancer.

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Well I thought you did earlier but couldn't find it lol.

Here ya go :049:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I understand this reasoning but you are still basically putting yourself in draft purgatory.   You get 9 to 11 wins and what?   Another draft unable to get one of the top QB prospects?   One and done in the playoffs?

No disagreement from me. Let them continue to not advance in the playoffs every year. Eventually all the talking heads can start making fun of them like they do Dallas.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

One can only hope.

Let's bow our heads and thank the Jets for taking Zach Wilson in 2021

1 - JAX - Trevor Lawrence (Pro Bowler)

2 - NYJ - Zach Wilson (Jets can't even give him away)

3 - SFF - Trey Lance (2nd or 3rd string in DAL)

4 - ATL - Kyle Pitts (Pro Bowler)

5 - CIN - Ja'Marr Chase (Pro Bowler)

6 - MIA - Jaylen Waddle (was really good on my fantasy team when Hill was down this year)

7 - DET - Penei Sewell (Pro Bowler)

8 - CAR - Jaycee Horn (played all of 4 games last year and 20 in the three seasons since drafted)

9 - DEN - Patrick Surtain II (Pro Bowler)

10 - PHI - DeVonta Smith (kicked my butt in the Fantasy Bowl this year - lost by a TD because of that fucker)

If NYJ had passed on Wilson and taken another QB, Lance, FIelds, and Mac Jones were the next three taken.  One washed up, one now a backup in PIT, and the last is a headcase.  And, as mentioned above, if Chase had gone before our pick, Sewell was our man.  He dosen't catch as well as Ja'Marr, but we might have been okay with him otherwise.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Then the Bengals would have drafted Penei Sewell...😎

Which does seem like kind of a big deal when they don't have a starting RT on the roster.  I'd still rather have Chase & will instead point to not making a single OL pick last year. 

• Upvote 2

Think how bad the Jets and 49ers feel for picking Wilson and Lance when they could have had Chase, Sewell, or Parsons.

Then think about the annual QB hype and how much it costs to trade up for a Bryce Young type. 

Fields isn't good but he's also pretty comparable to Lawrence. Jax doesn't have an alternative to Sunshine so they'll pick up his option. If Bears didn't have top pick this year, they'd be concentrating on building around Fields. He's never really had much of a chance. 

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Think how bad the Jets and 49ers feel for picking Wilson and Lance when they could have had Chase, Sewell, or Parsons.

Then think about the annual QB hype and how much it costs to trade up for a Bryce Young type. 

Fields isn't good but he's also pretty comparable to Lawrence. Jax doesn't have an alternative to Sunshine so they'll pick up his option. If Bears didn't have top pick this year, they'd be concentrating on building around Fields. He's never really had much of a chance. 

Agreed with everything you said about QB hype. However, not sure in what world Fields and Lawrence are comparable. Granted, Lawrence hasn't lived up to the hype he had as a generational type talent, but he's certainly been much better than Fields as a passer.

Eh, it's closer than you might think. Lawrence has higher volume numbers but for efficiency, Fields is in the neighborhood as a passer and a much better runner (though Lawrence is better than you might guess). In Lawrence's big year of 2022, his ESPN QBR was slightly lower than Fields (who ran for 1100 yards that year and got an MVP vote). Lawrence has a better NFL passer rating but not by a lot. Their PFR approximate value scores are equal.

Lawrence is a big upgrade for Jacksonville compared to what they had before him. So they regard him as their franchise QB and aren't looking for his replacement yet. If Chicago had Carolina's 2nd round this year and first next year instead of vice versa, they wouldn't be looking to replace Fields. They would give him a couple more weapons and a decent center so he has a chance. 

In draft hypeland, Lawrence was a "generational" prospect. Fields had a college career that compares favorably with Caleb Williams. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He did have a chance.

He didn't see the field well as was prone to holding the ball too long then running it.

He's a helluva runner but his fumbles hurt the team.

Off to a new start

Like the kid but hope he fails in Shit City