If Brown is such an obvious upgrade over Becton, who didn't want to play here...why did the Bengals not target Brown from the beginning of FA, like why waste time on a lesser player like Becton?

Is it purely because of the Frank Pollack connection, because if so that is a huge waste of time and misstep? This idea that Pollack was going to rehab Becton's career is hilarious because he hasn't been able to develop one decent starter out of the 7 draft picks the Bengals have used on the offensive line in the past 5 years. These are talented players who have all the tools to be successful but Pollack has only managed to get one to start, and he's the worst player on the offensive line, a legit liability that should be replaced. 

The Bengals wasted a whole week on Becton when they should have been targeting Brown from the beginning, but better late than never...I guess...let's hope they get a deal done with Brown. 

Just now, PatternMaster said:

If Brown is such an obvious upgrade over Becton, who didn't want to play here...why did the Bengals not target Brown from the beginning of FA, like why waste time on a lesser player like Becton?

Is it purely because of the Frank Pollack connection, because if so that is a huge waste of time and misstep? This idea that Pollack was going to rehab Becton's career is hilarious because he hasn't been able to develop one decent starter out of the 7 draft picks the Bengals have used on the offensive line in the past 5 years. These are talented players who have all the tools to be successful but Pollack has only managed to get one to start, and he's the worst player on the offensive line, a legit liability that should be replaced. 

The Bengals wasted a whole week on Becton when they should have been targeting Brown from the beginning, but better late than never...I guess...let's hope they get a deal done with Brown. 

That is interesting. I wonder if he wanted to play LT. I also wonder if he will cost more. 

Brown is pretty clearly much steadier in terms of play and even durability than Becton. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

That is interesting. I wonder if he wanted to play LT. I also wonder if he will cost more. 

Brown is pretty clearly much steadier in terms of play and even durability than Becton. 

I'm sure he wants more money than Becton, but with the increase in the cap and Jonah's salary coming off the books that shouldn't have been a factor.

The Bengals should be trying to get the absolute best 5 players they can get to play offensive line, not who the mediocre at best offensive line coach has a relationship with...seriously, what are they doing???

Brown is a much better player than Becton. PFF ranked him as the 11th best OT last year. Those grades above are from halfway through the season.

They probably thought Brown would want a better deal than Jonah since he's a better player. But if he only costs 8 mil per year, sign him up for a couple of seasons. 

14 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm sure he wants more money than Becton, but with the increase in the cap and Jonah's salary coming off the books that shouldn't have been a factor.

The Bengals should be trying to get the absolute best 5 players they can get to play offensive line, not who the mediocre at best offensive line coach has a relationship with...seriously, what are they doing???

In addition the salary would most likely only be for a year

45 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

And not just the best 5, we need some usefull depth. The Fords and Cartmans of the world are not exactly bench strength

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

That's a ton of supposition based on a hunch. 

How about Brown wanted to play LT, like Orlando Brown did? And after a week of FA and holding out for that, he didn't get any bites? So now he's open to playing RT?

There are a million of these possibilities, the most glaring of which is probably money. Again, perhaps he thought he was worth something, and after a week of not getting what he wanted realized he was closing his own window to get the best possible deal.

• Upvote 1

I'm not ready to say Bechton doesn't want to play in Cincinnati. Maybe he has other interest and is waiting to see how things shake out. Or maybe the Bengals decided that they didn't want Bechton. Bottom line, none of us know. 

That said, yes, - I agree with others that Brown is better than Bechton and would be a nice (2 years, max?) bridge guy to go along with a rookie T. But also as others have said, they need more OL help than T. Depth on the OL is lean, too. Beyond Ford, is there anyone who has shown anything? Smith? Nope... not Hill... Carman has had a few good games in the playoffs, but that's it. So they need help everywhere, especially since to assume no games missed by starters again... is likely not happening. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe Brown was getting one year offers but the Bengals showed with Rankins that they are now willing to give guys on either side of 30 a 2 year deal. I'd be all in for that, with the potential upside that you light his competitive fire playing for a winner with this culture and you hit the jackpot. Best case scenario is you take a G/T prospect in this draft who moves right into a G position if Brown turns into a guy we want to extend. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, texbengal said:

I'm not ready to say Bechton doesn't want to play in Cincinnati. Maybe he has other interest and is waiting to see how things shake out. Or maybe the Bengals decided that they didn't want Bechton. Bottom line, none of us know. 

That said, yes, - I agree with others that Brown is better than Bechton and would be a nice (2 years, max?) bridge guy to go along with a rookie T. But also as others have said, they need more OL help than T. Depth on the OL is lean, too. Beyond Ford, is there anyone who has shown anything? Smith? Nope... not Hill... Carman has had a few good games in the playoffs, but that's it. So they need help everywhere, especially since to assume no games missed by starters again... is likely not happening. 

Carmen is best at LT but I definitely think he lacks desire

34 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Maybe Brown was getting one year offers but the Bengals showed with Rankins that they are now willing to give guys on either side of 30 a 2 year deal. I'd be all in for that, with the potential upside that you light his competitive fire playing for a winner with this culture and you hit the jackpot. Best case scenario is you take a G/T prospect in this draft who moves right into a G position if Brown turns into a guy we want to extend. 

And, this time of year especially after the first week flurry, it is all about the coin/length of deal/guarantees. These guys—and especially their agents—no long care about “playing with Joe”. As long as the moolah is right, they couldn’t care less about the team. If it happens to be a contending one, icing on the cake. But neither Brown or Becton is demanding “I have to be here!”

• Upvote 1

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
·
52s
The #Bengals are adding a key piece on their O-Line, as #Patriots free agent OT Trent Brown plans to sign a 1-year with them, source said. He’s in Cincy on a visit today. A new home protecting Joe Burrow for Brown.
  • Like 1