6’ 5’’
WEIGHT
244 lbs
ARM
31 5/8’’
HAND
9 3/8’’

Overview

McLachlan is a slightly challenging evaluation, as his measurables and traits don't really match the intangibles and effort he puts on tape. He plays with the spirit of an in-line tight end and flashes what it takes to execute blocks, but he's missing the mass and play strength for one to confidently project him as a pro blocker at this point. While McLachlan has short arms and average speed, he still finds ways to go get the football outside his frame and does whatever it takes to add yards after catch. There are boxes that go unchecked, but his "whatever it takes" mentality is the kind of intangible that often turns prospects into pros.

Strengths

• Plays with a competitive spirit that jumps off the tape.
  • Active hand work after contact to extend his block sustain.
  • Puts in the work to get backside cut-offs and climb to the linebacker.
  • Finished catches through explosive strikes.
  • Flashes build-up speed on the move and after the catch.
  • Hurdles, pulls, spins and stiff-arms to find the extra yards after the catch.

I had the strongest feeling they were going to do this. Take the swing for the fences guy who will at least go on Pup and then one more. Now if only we would take a IOL guy. And a LB. And another corner. And a safety. And a RB….

Tanner McLachlan TE, ARIZ

Height: 6-5, Weight: 245

Older TE prospect with reasonable separation skill and consistent YAC production. Athleticism is solid overall. Project as a blocker but the receiving skill makes this worthwhile. (Chris Trapasso)

Summary

Tanner McLachlan is a reasonable athlete for the TE spot who has to come a long way as a blocker to be remotely proficient in that regard but makes up for that with impressive power/balance after the catch. He has deceptive seam-stretching speed, but he's not a quick starter yet covers plenty of ground with his long strides. VHe has very natural, reliable hands. He will consistently make grabs outside his frame, and somewhat steady in that regard in traffic. Real speciality is after the catch, where he routinely absorbs contact and stays on his feet. He won't be a major separator at the next level but did demonstrate a knack of adjusting his routes to make himself more available in zone. Not much wiggle after the catch but enough to not allow defenders to always square him up. Small-ish hands and a frame in which he could add some weight to it. Developmental TE2/3 type.

About
  • 2023: 528 receiving yards (most among Pac-12 TEs)
  • 2023: 45 receptions (most by Arizona TE since Rob Gronkowski's 47 in 2008)
Strengths
  • Sneaky good power/balance after the catch
  • Plus overall athlete for the position
  • Soft hands
Combine Data
  • 40-yard dash: 4.61 seconds
  • Vertical jump: 35 inches
  • Broad jump: 9 feet, 9 inches

17 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Two TEs.  NICE! Well Done Reaction GIF

Maybe the happiest position coach in the draft was James Casey. Even Pitcher noted how excited Casey was after they picked All. Casey may have needed to be revived with smelting salts after they chose to add McLachlan to the room too...

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, texbengal said:

You can tell he’s Canadian, since he is glad to be part of the organ-eye-zation. 

And to be more specific..listen if he ever says “they can be tough in their building”. 

Or “Toronno”

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

And to be more specific..listen if he ever says “they can be tough in their building”. 

Or “Toronno”

lmao. I had a roommate back in school and since then, I’ve always said “Tron-no. “ And I like Poutine and ketchup potato chips, and I love hockey, and the McKenzie Brothers are funny, and the Guess Who and Rush are/were good…. so I guess I’m part Canadian? I don’t like Nickelback, though. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, texbengal said:

lmao. I had a roommate back in school and since then, I’ve always said “Tron-no. “ And I like Poutine and ketchup potato chips, and I love hockey, and the McKenzie Brothers are funny, and the Guess Who and Rush are/were good…. so I guess I’m part Canadian? I don’t like Nickelback, though. 

Actually you are a full Canadian if you don't like Nickelback.. (or should I finish the sentence with 'eh"?)

20 hours ago, texbengal said:

You will partially transform into a Canadian once you source and consume a single maple-cream cookie.

Make it happen. 👍

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

You will partially transform into a Canadian once you source and consume a single maple-cream cookie.

Make it happen. 👍

Oh yeah, growing up in New England, I had them lots of times. Awesome! Maple *anything* rocks. 

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Actually you are a full Canadian if you don't like Nickelback.. (or should I finish the sentence with 'eh"?)

I was also going to say that when referring to folks from Muntreeall, say "Kebekker". 

• Upvote 1