Grading the 2024 Bengals Draft

Bengals 2024 Draft Class  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the Bengals draft overall?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Who are your 3 favorite picks? (choose 3)

• Amarius Mims
    • Kris Jenkins
    • Jermaine Burton
    • McKinnley Jackson
    • Erick All
    • Josh Newton
    • Tanner McLachlan
    • Cedric Johnson
    • Daijahn Anthony
    • Matt Lee
  3. 3. How happy are you with the Mims pick?

• I'm still erect
    • Very pleased
    • Happy, but cautious
    • Mixed emotions, preferred someone else
    • Didn't like the pick

Mixed.  Neither OL pick expected to contribute early.  More risk than really necessary.

On the plus side they probably got long-term starters at DT & TE.  Some of the riskier picks will work out but we'll all be taking a hard look at who else was available for the ones that don't.

Mims should elevate the OL play whenever he makes it on the field. 

• Upvote 1

Hard to judge on this one, as we have a few guys that are swing for the fences type picks. If they work out it's an A, if they don't it's not good. As T-Dub said it's likely to be  a mix of both, it's just a matter of which ones. If the high draft picks work out and the low ones don't that's a to be expected type of thing, if it's the opposite were in trouble.

• Upvote 1

I gave their draft a B grade. I really like their picks in the first 3 rounds.  Even though Jackson may be considered a "reach" he fills a gaping hole that was on the d line.  After round 3 I'm pretty disappointed overall with the picks.  Was expecting more OL help other than a 7th round center that will be lucky to make the team.  Didn't see the need for 2 TE's or another safety. 

Seems a lot of this draft depends on if players can keep away from injuries that plagued them in college which really worries me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Hard to judge on this one, as we have a few guys that are swing for the fences type picks. If they work out it's an A, if they don't it's not good. As T-Dub said it's likely to be  a mix of both, it's just a matter of which ones. If the high draft picks work out and the low ones don't that's a to be expected type of thing, if it's the opposite were in trouble.

Assuming he can avoid serious injuries, I think the floor for Mims is higher than we realize. He was considered an excellent practice player at Georgia, which is a sign of a good work ethic. He has some good game tape available, albeit in a limited sample size.. I think Dane Brugler said it best - Mims isn't raw he's just inexperienced. He doesn't have a lot of bad habits to be broken down and replaced. Just 340 pounds of spectacular clay to be molded into the type of linemen they want him to do. Seems to be a great kid who understands the importance of protecting the franchise QB.

• Like 2

They grabbed two really good pieces who should be in the rotation early in Burton and Jenkins. McKinley should probably be in some short yardage packages early. The rest I don’t expect much from.

I don’t think there is a glaring hole on the roster. Backup boundary corner and guard depth sticks out, but you’re bound to be weak in some areas. I’d expect a couple of vets to be signed to give them a better feeling at those spots.

Overall - I feel like the offense should be a top 5 unit this year with the new depth at pass catcher and better fit at right tackle. The defense may be a work in progress. Don’t like the lack of pass rushers. Where does it come from outside of Trey/Rankins? If the answer is Ossai/Hill, it’s not an answer I feel particularly comfortable with.

• Upvote 1

I'm expecting the offense to be significantly more explosive next year under Dan Pitcher. We have Moss replacing Mixon, Gesicki, replacing Irv Smith, Erick All replacing Wilcox, Jermaine Burton replacing Tyler Boyd. If we are only talking about explosiveness, those are significant upgrades if you want more big plays. And both offensive linemen drafted are known first and foremost as excellent pass protectors. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dex said:

Assuming he can avoid serious injuries, I think the floor for Mims is higher than we realize. He was considered an excellent practice player at Georgia, which is a sign of a good work ethic. He has some good game tape available, albeit in a limited sample size.. I think Dane Brugler said it best - Mims isn't raw he's just inexperienced. He doesn't have a lot of bad habits to be broken down and replaced. Just 340 pounds of spectacular clay to be molded into the type of linemen they want him to do. Seems to be a great kid who understands the importance of protecting the franchise QB.

It'll be a race to get him healthy & up to speed before Trent Brown gets hurt

• Like 1

I'd give it a B-. Mims is a good addition, as is Burton. Apart from them, it's mixed. Jenkins is strong but undersized. Jackson was taken a couple rounds early. The other day 3 guys are meh. We addressed NT but not starting CB. We should have worked a RB and LB in there somewhere, probably in place of the DE and S.

Brugler rated our class 18th in the league and OverTheCap rated it 15th in value added. 

I give the first 2 days an A- (I may be in the minority but I didn't think WR was that big of a need this year. Would have prefered an OL or even a RB). Day 3 I give a solid 🤮,. 2 TEs? A freaking safety? No OL until the 7th? Evidently, other than RT our oline is in tip top shape. Meh, I just hope I'm wrong about the 3rd day.

• Upvote 1

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-2024-nfl-draft-ras-scores-rookies-amarius-mims-kris-jenkins-jermaine-burton-erick-all/

Grading the Bengal Draft by the New Statistical Darling in the Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Department of Mark Twain... The RAS Score

"One great way to do that is by looking at a metric called Relative Athletic Score (RAS), created by Kent Lee Platte. It measures each prospect’s testing and size, then sorts it against historical data for positions. Ten, of course, is the highest number."

Cheat Sheet:

1. Amarius Mims... 9.59

2. Kris Jenkins ... 8.99

3. Jermain Burton ... 9.08

4. McKinnley Jackson ... 3.08 (ugh)

5. Erick All... no score

Josh Newton ... 6.41

Tanner McLachlan ... 7.66

Cedric Johnson ... 9.28

Daijhan Anthony ... 6.62

Matt Lee ... 8.66

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-2024-nfl-draft-ras-scores-rookies-amarius-mims-kris-jenkins-jermaine-burton-erick-all/

Grading the Bengal Draft by the New Statistical Darling in the Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Department of Mark Twain... The RAS Score

"One great way to do that is by looking at a metric called Relative Athletic Score (RAS), created by Kent Lee Platte. It measures each prospect’s testing and size, then sorts it against historical data for positions. Ten, of course, is the highest number."

Cheat Sheet:

4. McKinnley Jackson ... 3.08 (ugh)

Good lord. Surely some statistical outlier, right? Right?!

I'm gonna hope that's the result of "next gen stats" fuzzy math and not him getting winded making a 5th trip up to the buffet line.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Good lord. Surely some statistical outlier, right? Right?!

I'm gonna hope that's the result of "next gen stats" fuzzy math and not him getting winded making a 5th trip up to the buffet line.

DJ Reader had a RAS score of 2.98.  Seems like a metric that doesn't work for true NTs.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On Walter Football  they graded our draft an A but funnier was the Falcons grade. That site grades all trades, hires, etc between A-F plus an extra bad grade called the “Millen”.  
Falcons got the Millen lol. 

I didn't really pay attention to the other Falcon picks...did they do stupid stuff beyond just the QB selection in Rd 1 or is their "Millen" rank strictly due to Rd 1?

Atlanta Falcons Atlanta Falcons: MILLEN Grade

Goals Entering the 2024 NFL Draft: The Falcons eschewed all the quarterback prospects in this class by signing Kirk Cousins. The former Viking quarterback gives Atlanta a legitimate chances to make a deep run into the playoffs. There are still some issues, however, and most of them apply to the defensive side of the ball. The Falcons must improve their pass rush and cornerback group so they can battle the top offenses of the NFC.

2024 NFL Draft Accomplishments: “The Falcons eschewed all the quarterback prospects in this class by signing Kirk Cousins.” Yeah, so much for that. Atlanta made an inexplicably horrible decision to draft Michael Penix Jr. over Laiatu Latu at No. 8 overall. Giving Cousins a nine-figure deal indicated that the Falcons knew they are ready to win now. However, it seems as though they also want to build for the future. Having one foot in often leads to failure. Some will point out the “No Cookie” Jordan Love situation in Green Bay, but the Packers sabotaged a potential earlier Super Bowl victory by not giving Aaron Rodgers a weapon like Tee Higgins or Brandon Aiyuk. The Falcons will have similar failures in the playoffs without a talented edge rusher like Latu.

This was the beginning of a disastrous weekend for the Falcons. They followed up the awful Penix pick by needlessly trading for Ruke Orhorhoro. This was one of a few reaches the Falcons made. Five of their eight picks graded as a C+ or worse. Two were failures.

Atlanta easily had the worst draft class of all the teams in the league. The team ruined its chances of winning when it had a golden opportinity to strengthen the current roster with a dynamic edge rusher. When the team can’t stop Jalen Hurts, Jared Goff or Brock Purdy come January, they can point to this weekend as to why they ended up losing.

• Like 1

Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals: A Grade

Goals Entering the 2024 NFL Draft: It seems like an annual requirement for the Bengals to improve their offensive line, but that’s the case yet again. Joe Burrow is not protected well, so that must change. The Bengals must also address their secondary, which lost plenty of talent recently, and defensive tackle because of the D.J. Reader departure.

2024 NFL Draft Accomplishments: J.C. Latham was atop Cincinnati’s wishlist, but he was chosen 11 picks earlier. Amarius Mims was the second option, yet the Bengals somehow obtained him at No. 18. Mims was a great bargain at that spot, and he should be able to bolster Burrow’s blocking, which has been insufficient for far too long.

The Bengals were hoping for T’Vondre Sweat in the second round, but he was also plucked off the board before they were on the clock. They went with a smaller defensive tackle instead, obtaining Kris Jenkins. Needing a true nose tackle, they tried McKinnley Jackson at the end of the third. I didn’t like that pick as much, but perhaps Jenkins and Jackson, who specialize in different traits, can team up to duplicate what Reader produced in the past.

Of Cincinnati’s nine picks, eight scored as a “B” or higher, and six earned “A” grades. There were many great values, including fifth-rounder Josh Newton, who should be able to help the pass defense sooner rather than later. There was also Tanner McLachlan, who, along with Erick All, gives Cincinnati a chance to have a play-maker over the middle of the field for the first time since the Tyler Eifert days. And speaking of play-makers, Jermaine Burton was a solid receiver choice in the third frame.

I love what the Bengals did. They addressed positions of need and made improvements to their roster. Burrow should be thrilled for the added protection and weaponry, while defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo will be happy to work with his new toys.