A mess only Cam Newton can fix

[size="5"][b]A mess only Cam Newton can fix[/b]
[/size]December 6th, 2010 | [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/bengals/"]Bengals[/url], [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/nfl/"]NFL[/url]
[b]
[/b]

People thought I was crazy for hopping on the Cam Newton bandwagon a few weeks ago, but I still think that given the right scheme, he could come to Cincy and bring some excitement to the organization. A lot of people say that Carson Palmer is still a good QB, and even though I agree he is, I'm not sure he can return to Pro Bowl form here. Too many changes will need to be made to get him excited about this team again. He looks worn down, mentally and physically. Sticking QB Andrew Luck into this mix without fixing things will probably result in the same thing. With so many problems on the OL and the need for young legs at the WR position, Cam is a guy that can neutralize opposing defenses. He is 6′-6″ 250lbs. He can see the field and can run if needed. Yes he will need work in the passing game, but guys with skills like his can buy time with his feet and allow lesser WRs time to get open. Donovan McNabb did it for years in Philly, Big Ben does it week in and week out in Pittsburgh. Those guys aren't great passers but developed into good ones because they can extend plays. By the time everything is said and done, Cam will be a top five pick, just like QBs Ryan Mallett and Andrew Luck. QBs are needed and with the new rookie salary cap that's coming, it won't be hard to take one of these guys and develop them. Hard to sit a guy when you've just paid him 40 million dollars, but hopefully the new cap, top 5 picks won't get that much and that will make it easier for teams to develop players if needed.

UPDATE: From the [url="http://www.gbnreport.com/"][b][color="#660000"]Great Blue North Draft Report[/color][/b][/url]…."[b] [i]Draft order status quo … [/i][/b][i]With all 5 teams sitting on top 5 picks heading into the weekend, there likely won't be any changes at the top of the first-round selection order if the 2011 draft were held today. As per last week, Carolina would have the first pick followed by Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Arizona. In fact, about the only variation at all is that whereas last week Cincinnati and Buffalo were very close in terms of relative strength of schedules for the 3rd and 4th pick, Cincinnati is now in an almost statistical dead heat with Detroit for the 2nd-3rd picks. As usual, we'll have the full, updated first-round selection order for the 2011 draft after Monday night's game."[/i]

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/12/06/a-mess-only-cam-newton-can-fix/"]http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/12/06/a-mess-only-cam-newton-can-fix/[/url]

I think I've understood everything JT has written up until this.

He might have a point if year in and year out we have a great defense like the Steelers and Eagles. Maybe then we could afford to let someone who's barely an average passer, run around using nothing but his athletic ability to pick up 3rd downs and run in a TD when neccessary.

Until then we'd just look like a shittier version of ourselves with a QB who makes even more mistakes and takes 5-10 more hits a game because he can only make one read before he runs.

How about instead we draft a guy who can do what Thornton never could, dominate the line of scrimmage.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1291669613' post='948495']
I pray to god that he isn't our first round pick..or I will projectile vomit.
[/quote]

I hope you're vomiting draft day....

i hoped on that bandwagon 2 weeks ago also.

Dude is a pimp.

If we can't trade down i want cam newton, if we can trade down, i want DE, OT and S in the 1st 2 rounds, assuming out trade down nets us 2 picks.

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1291670031' post='948506']
I hope you're vomiting draft day....

i hoped on that bandwagon 2 weeks ago also.

Dude is a pimp.

If we can't trade down i want cam newton, if we can trade down, i want DE, OT and S in the 1st 2 rounds, assuming out trade down nets us 2 picks.
[/quote]
I think he is a tremendous athlete and might be a playmaker one day in the league.

But, a top 5 pick? No from me. Runs a spread offense, doesn't make reads or go through progressions and chances are that he won't be able to outrun the guys at the next level or take the abuse. Not much zip on the ball. Doesn't project good from him. Doesn't make very good decisions either. Stealing laptops, cheating, pay for play scandal that he more than likely knew about. Just can't see the risk in that pick. I wouldn't be opposed to it in the second round though. That way there isn't 50 million guaranteed dollars invested in him and he has to work hard to get his next payday, thus dis-enabling him from being a bonehead.

Luck on the other hand could steer this franchise in the right direction. He is a more mobile Carson Palmer with less arm and more intelligence.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1291671173' post='948519']
Drafting Newton will only set us back. I can only image how bad it would be with him trying to read the Steelers and Ravens defense.
[/quote]

I seem to remember us taking the "flash in the pan, athletic, one year of major college experience" QB in the first round. I think I'll agree with BigDawg, and Pass.

I'm not sure how I feel. Carson looked good to me yesterday but not so much a great deal of this season.
I have no doubt Cam is and will be the real deal. Looks to me like he has all the throws, good pocket presence, great mobility. And as far as reading defenses, what college qb is good at that at this stage ? Do we know for certain that he can't ? The guy is a winner and carried his team to the title game.

I don't know how you could watch him this season and not be impressed. Comparing him to Akili is beyond silly.

In saying that I draft O-line, safety, linebacker or D line. You win up front.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1291677085' post='948554']
we draft cam newton and there's going to be furniture broken. i'm not that big on getting a new QB but i can live with luck depending on what happens in FA but if we draft mr. "one year wonder" or locker the "tebow of the west" and i will shit on the spot
[/quote]
Just asking, if we moved down to # 28, picked up two extra picks and drafted Cam @ 28. You would be pissed at that ?

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1291677573' post='948561']
Just asking, if we moved down to # 28, picked up two extra picks and drafted Cam @ 28. You would be pissed at that ?
[/quote]

I suppose if he's not there at that point then we just take BPA? Trading down in the next draft is probably a good idea no matter whom we take. We need talent infusions [i]everywhere[/i].

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1291677573' post='948561']
Just asking, if we moved down to # 28, picked up two extra picks and drafted Cam @ 28. [b]You would be pissed at that ?[/b]
[/quote]

yes.

1) At that point you can get a quality OL or WR, or probably even a DE or DT.

2) Newton isn't an NFL caliber QB.

Archived