Marvin Lewis signs deal to return to coach Bengals! W00T!

Well I don't know what to say except this..... I was in the stands at the worst time to be a Bengal Fan.... all the way up till '02 was dismal & maddening.... We had the same OWNER in those years too... When Marvin Lewis came in, he brought the franchise back to life and made watching my team enjoyable... Instead of going in the stadium KNOWING we were going to lose, there was the excitement of knowing we can complete and can win - obviously the common denominator FOR LOSING SEASONS is the OWNER.... You can bitch about Marvin coming back... he is not a very good coach... we had a horrible losing season... blah... blah... blah.... It all comes down to MIKE BROWN. If Marvin had the power to bring myself and thousands of other fans out of the depths of losing hell... I'm willing to give him another shot because lets be honest, with Mike Brown at the helm... we don't have a shot at any head coach worth a shit... BILL COWHER???? HAAAA HAAAA HAAA HAAAAA... :34: That's f'ing laughable.... In my opinion, Marvin has done a good job with what he has to work with, if he can convince Mike Brown to give him what he needs, I'm all for giving him the reigns again.

and I'm just curious.... for those who don't want Marvin back.... who do you "realistically" believe MIKE BROWN could get in here and do a better job? :39:

I will say that our OC position needs an upgrade and a few other lower level coaching positions.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1294165629' post='957720']
Can the fans petition a move to the NFC West?
[/quote]

Steelers and Ravens are going to. Once we get that indoor practice facililty and Dick Tobin Jr in here, they are done!

Move over Steelers! It's WHO DEY TIME bitches! See that roof over there? yeah it's over a practice field, what do you got to say now Hines?

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1294163464' post='957683']
4-12 ISN'T a big stick to wield, but that coupled with playoffs and NFL coach of the year in 2009 would be for any coach... not too mention that Marvin the ONLY coach to get us to the post season since Mike Brown took over. As was stated by other posters, loyalty from Brown to Marvin absolutely HAS to be in play here also.

We weren't as good as many thought in 2009, and not as bad as many think this past year So many close losses this year and so many late heroics in 2009 skewed many fans point of view. Mine included somewhat... and it's obvious (at least to me) that adding TO and mixing that with Ocho was NOT a recipe for success. Too many diva's and not enough "team first" going on. TO's numbers don't mean jack shit when you aren't winning. It's the same thing a Dillon's number, Picken's numbers...etc.

This is the first year since the late 80's/early 90's that people were EXPECTING a possible Super Bowl run. With those expectations smashed, the let down is that much harsher.
Let's wait and see what/if any "concessions" were made, and then let's crucify or praise as everyone deems necessary.
[/quote]

I wasn't crucifying anyone, just stating that just because Marvin is coming back (lets asssume he is) does not mean he is getting much in the way of concessions. Your right, when the facts come out then I will pass judgement but I would hope everyone waits until we get the facts as well. Assuming Marvin is getting more control would not be typical of Mike Brown, just ask Sam Wyche.

Not saying you did, just saying Marvin might have just as easily thought he doesn't want to start over somewhere else and its not that bad a gig as far as real world jobs are concerned.

If I am not mistaken USN meant to not "win it all" as in the Super Bowl but to win any games at all. This Lewis has achieved.

[quote]So, I don't believe Marvin is a coach that will deliver that measurement of success. I think it will continue to be this silly back and forth arguing about who's really doing what and when.[/quote] As you say Marvin will never be a measurement of success. If it takes bringing Marvin back to make those changes, then I am all for it because that will eventually result in the success we desire as a fan base. Without the front office change necessary with Marvin coming back (if in fact there is change), there will be alot more of these discussions in the future.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1294165629' post='957720']
Can the fans petition a move to the NFC West?
[/quote]
I don't think 4-12 gets its done there either. Hell, Oakland ran the table in the NFC West this year and is staying home.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294156618' post='957567']
My source just said this is far from done.... but if Marvin stays that means huge concessions were made by MB to Marvin.
[/quote]

Get it done now Mike, dont "sleep on it", we dont need a warren sapp situation here. :lol:

Updated by Hobson, and doesn't sound promising:

"Updated: 1-4-11, 1:15 p.m.

Despite reports the Bengals expect head coach Marvin Lewis to return, there was no agreement after two Tuesday morning meetings and it wasn't known if or when the two sides would meet again.

It's believed that there are a variety of issues at play in the negotiations centering around the staffing and scouting and how the March 4 end of the collective bargainning agreement impacts them. It is not believed an indoor facility is part of the discussion. On Sunday Lewis said that wasn't an obstacle to his return."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/No-call-on-Lewis-after-meetings/086eea7e-4c34-4e7a-a060-500fcb76ed4a

[quote name='mjm47' timestamp='1294168258' post='957772']
Updated by Hobson, and doesn't sound promising:

"Updated: 1-4-11, 1:15 p.m.

Despite reports the Bengals expect head coach Marvin Lewis to return, there was no agreement after two Tuesday morning meetings and it wasn't known if or when the two sides would meet again.

It's believed that there are a variety of issues at play in the negotiations centering around the staffing and scouting and how the March 4 end of the collective bargainning agreement impacts them. It is not believed an indoor facility is part of the discussion. On Sunday Lewis said that wasn't an obstacle to his return."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/No-call-on-Lewis-after-meetings/086eea7e-4c34-4e7a-a060-500fcb76ed4a
[/quote]

I don't get where you see this as bad or good...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294168502' post='957775']
[/quote]

Anything that suggest Marvin is returning is bad. Anything that gives hope he won't is good.

The rest is all just excuses to explain away his shitty performance with talented teams.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294168502' post='957775']
[/quote]

The "it is unknown when or if the two sides will meet again" line strikes me as a reversal.

I think that Marvin staying with organizational changes = good. Marvin leaving and no organizational changes = bad.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1294158870' post='957611']
I sure hope so. IF the concession has been made that organizational change needs to occur, it wouldn't surprise me if part of the detail ironing that needs to occur is how to make those changes while saving face for Mike Brown. I don't want to strip Mike Brown of his pride. I want change. If he's willing to change, I'm proud of him.
[/quote]

rubber stamp

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294168634' post='957776']
Anything that suggest Marvin is returning is bad. Anything that gives hope he won't is good.

The rest is all just excuses to explain away his shitty performance with talented teams.
[/quote]

your really making this fun for me.

:)

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1294164839' post='957702']
[b]MORE MARVIN MEANS LESS EXCUSES[/b]
Everyone who works for the Bengals has a built-in excuse. Coach doesn't win, he can point the finger upstairs. Player underachieves, he can blame the owner. Paul Brown Stadium escalator doesn't work, the guy in charge of it can probably pin it on Mike Brown.

The thing is, the longer you work for the Bengals, or play for the Bengals, or coach them, the less often you can blame Mike Brown for you failures.

Ever know someone in an awful marriage and all he does is complain about his wife? She nags him, cuts off his buddies, even cheats on him, and you listen to the guy complain. You hear him out, offer suggestions, listen to him make excuses and blame her for the reasons his life is in the dumper. You do this for a while, but he never leaves. He stays in the marriage, refusing to bail, even as her behavior continues. And after awhile, you tire of hearing about how evil she is and start to wonder what the hell is wrong with him. The longer he stays in the relationship, the less you want to hear about how miserable he is, or how awful she is.

That's how I feel about Marvin Lewis. If he stays, the Mike Brown excuse won't apply nearly as much as it did in years one through eight. Matter of fact, it applies less every year. Given an out, Marvin might decide to stay, to keep coaching this team despite the limitations that exist when working for Mike Brown. Now maybe Mike concedes a few things, which is a positive step, but those concessions will only make the coach more responsible for the team's fortunes, positive or negative.

Marvin staying means he's accepting his role and the parameters that come with it. It means he's putting the onus on himself more than ever. It means the Mike Brown excuse card can't be played nearly as much.

If the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis marriage continues, I don't want to hear how miserable it is if Marvin declines to option to end it.

[url="http://homer247.com/pages/mo.html?an=preston-hanna"]http://homer247.com/pages/mo.html?an=preston-hanna[/url]
[/quote]

Agreed. If Marvin does stay, then I will infer in that that he received additional organizational power, and should then be much more responsible.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294168634' post='957776']

[/quote]

Seriously, bro, they make douches that will get that sand out of your vagina. Just ask P-douche, he can probably hook you up! :thumbsup:

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1294169250' post='957786']
your really making this fun for me.

:)
[/quote]

Me too. I am starting to want Marvin back just so I can watch
Scharm's head explode like that dude on Scanners.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA[/media]

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1294166154' post='957730']
If I am not mistaken USN meant to not "win it all" as in the Super Bowl but to win any games at all. This Lewis has achieved.

As you say Marvin will never be a measurement of success. If it takes bringing Marvin back to make those changes, then I am all for it because that will eventually result in the success we desire as a fan base. Without the front office change necessary with Marvin coming back (if in fact there is change), there will be alot more of these discussions in the future.
[/quote]

Thanks Numbers, that IS what I meant... and scharm knows it, he's just being an asshole out of shear spite.

Still love you and all that shit scharm, but your mangina needs a serious scouring.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1294169872' post='957792']
Me too. I am starting to want Marvin back just so I can watch
Scharm's head explode like that dude on Scanners.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA[/media]
[/quote]

+1

[b][url="http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter"][color="#0a0501"]AdamSchefter[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] 1/2 On a day when a person in the meetings said Bengals HC Marvin Lewis would return to Cincinnati, talks later broke off.
[url="http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/22377912120377345"]less than 20 seconds ago[/url] via [url="http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php"]ÃœberTwitter[/url]

[b][url="http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter"][color="#0a0501"]AdamSchefter[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] Lewis left the Bengals complex when the two sides could not agree on franchise's direction and his future there is in serious jeopardy.
[url="http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/22378153418690561"]less than 10 seconds ago[/url] via [url="http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php"]ÃœberTwitter[/url]

Archived