Carson Wants Out

For the record, Palmer would only really need to "retire" for a little bit to force a trade/release.

Just like Favre, he retired, his contract went off the books, the Jets spent back up to the cap, then Favre unretired, putting his huge salary back on the books and more or less putting the Jets over the cap. They were forced to either restructure several players (which few players would do for the sole sake of screwing over a teammate who wants to leave), cut several players, or cut/trade the guy who wants to leave.

Basically as soon as the new cap is in place, and we've spent up to it, he can unretire and force his trade/release. Plus he can probably get to skip camp, because he'll be retired.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1295813155' post='964191']
Nothing fucked up about it. The light has gone on for Palmer and truthfully its the first thing he has done right since 05'. Cincinnati is a fucking horrible organization unwilling to change its ways and will never be a consistent winner. Marvin is a joke, Mike brown is a bigger joke, and those two together are the biggest joke of all. The put on a fucking ridiculous fucking press conference and none of the things Marvin claimed are going to change.......AT ALL! FUCKING DISPICABLE! I say, GOOD FOR YOU CARSON, about time somebody wised the fuck up in cincinnati.
[/quote]

I'm not passing judgement on anyone.. In actuality, no one has a clue what is really happening here.. The situation though, beyond all argument is definitely fucked up.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1295813780' post='964207']
I notice you have only attacked people yet have yet to reply to Carson demanding a trade. When you see Brat in the hot tub tonight ask his opinion on the matter. Thats after you wash his dog of course.
[/quote]

I have a feeling Go will blame it more on Ohio being shitty and the fans being idiots then to anything actually going on in the organization.

I'm surprised only 1 person mentioned it (and no one commented on it) but Carson can't be traded until the CBA is finalized. Which will likely be well after the draft during the summer if not 1 or 2 games into the season. A lot can change until then. Teams will have their QBs. It would be extremely unlikely Palmer is traded. He might as well shut the fuck up or retire.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1295813797' post='964209']
How many players have to do this before people realize?

Pickens
Dillon
Chad
and now Palmer... not to mention all of the free agents that have used the Bengals as leverage for a better deal or as their last stop before retirement...

No one can deny Palmer has been a team player to this point...

What has remained the ONE...SINGLE constant since 1991?
[/quote]

Put TKO in this group.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1295815072' post='964222']
I'm surprised only 1 person mentioned it (and no one commented on it) but Carson can't be traded until the CBA is finalized. Which will likely be well after the draft during the summer if not 1 or 2 games into the season. A lot can change until then. Teams will have their QBs. It would be extremely unlikely Palmer is traded. He might as well shut the fuck up or retire.
[/quote]

Can't players be traded right now? The current CBA remains in effect until March something.

I know the trade deadline, which was October 19th, prevents teams from trading during the season and playoffs. Not sure about the period between the Super Bowl and free agency. Typically you don't see players traded until the start of free agency... right??? I can't find in writing a rule yet though.

[quote name='Bengals Scout (1991-2002)' timestamp='1295812609' post='964178']
That is true. But you can say the same thing about Palmer and his injury issues. And McNabb didn't demand a trade or contemplate retirement, giving the Eagles more lead-way in trade negotiations. Carson Palmer has basically given the Bengals no cards at all. If the Bengals want to get[i] any[/i] value from him, they have to trade him to only a handful of teams, and those teams know that.
[/quote]

or a different way to look at it is this...if those teams that are interested, ARE TRUELY INTERESTED, they'll need to compensate us with something worthwhile or we're not interested. i'd not take anything less than a low 1st, mid 2nd and i'd make carson aware of that. the game is called hardball.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1295810042' post='964124']
james walker and chris mortenson aren't reliable or established enough sources for you?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6051119

Carson Palmer will ask the Cincinnati Bengals to trade him and will contemplate retirement if he does not get his wish, according to several sources.

Palmer, the No. 1 overall pick by the Bengals in 2003, was unavailable for comment as he and his wife Shaelynn were awaiting the birth of their third child.

A Bengals spokesman had no comment. The team has Palmer under contract through 2014.

Palmer has become the object of fan frustration in the past two years and sources said he has grown frustrated with the team's inconsistencies. The Bengals finished 4-12 in 2010.

Sources familiar with Palmer's plan and mindset said he is financially secure for the rest of his life and willing to follow through and retire.

Several teams will be in the market for quarterbacks this offseason. Seattle will have an opening at quarterback if the Seahawks can't re-sign Matt Hasselbeck. Palmer won the Heisman Trophy for now-Seahawks coach Pete Carroll at USC in 2002. San Francisco, where his wife was raised, and Arizona could also be options.

Palmer suffered a major knee injury in a first-round playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the end of the 2005 season. He also suffered an elbow injury in 2008 and considered Tommy John surgery before choosing to rehab without having the operation.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.
[/quote]

Walker got it from Mort. Who know's who Mort heard it from. Until I hear it from Carson, I do not believe it. Period. It goes against everything I have seen and heard from Carson before now.

Hobson:

[b]Mort: Palmer wants to be traded[/b]
By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 1 hour ago

MOBILE, Ala. _ Nice Senior Bowl greeting.

Shortly after touching down here Sunday afternoon the Bengals were made aware of Chris Mortensen's report on ESPN that Bengals quarterback [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/carson-palmer/b2e2fb04-af84-4af9-9491-5c1dd3354623/"]Carson Palmer[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] wants to be traded, or he'll contemplate retirement.

Texts and calls to Palmer weren't returned and the Bengals had no comment.

But the last time Bengals president Mike Brown was faced with a similar ultimatum, he refused to trade wide receiver [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/chad-ochocinco/09ddc7d1-e507-4a75-ab2b-f6f17723cbf8/"]Chad Ochocinco[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] in 2008. Palmer, 31, has four years left on the $97 million extension he signed at the end of the 2005 season that gave him the league's richest contract and the Bengals have virtually no experience behind him with brother [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/jordan-palmer/22d3b409-4d6e-46b4-a13a-92ce0f773440/"]Jordan Palmer[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] the backup and rookie [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/dan-lefevour/f267ebe2-2450-41dd-9c71-412700ff4d2f/"]Dan LeFevour[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] No. 3.

Left tackle [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/andrew-whitworth/3a81696e-e6b3-4abd-8dd0-85e8748fa086/"]Andrew Whitworth[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] said he wouldn't comment until he heard Palmer talk about the subject directly.

The Ocho weighed in with this tweet: "Carson Palmer demands a trade? Last person demanded a trade in Cincy was crucified by the media n had to win the fans back. how will this go?"

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1295816001' post='964233']
Interestingly quiet are those who ripped on Chad for wanting out too.
[/quote]

Perhaps when Carson goes on a public campaign of bridge burning I'll have something to say. Until then I intend to wait and see.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1295816001' post='964233']
Interestingly quiet are those who ripped on Chad for wanting out too.
[/quote]

It's all about the way you do it. Carson is potentially doing it behind closed doors, Chad does it while acting like a douche. Carson does it cause he's tired of the organization, Chad does it as a money grab.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' timestamp='1295814883' post='964218']
For the record, Palmer would only really need to "retire" for a little bit to force a trade/release.

Just like Favre, he retired, his contract went off the books, the Jets spent back up to the cap, then Favre unretired, putting his huge salary back on the books and more or less putting the Jets over the cap. They were forced to either restructure several players (which few players would do for the sole sake of screwing over a teammate who wants to leave), cut several players, or cut/trade the guy who wants to leave.

Basically as soon as the new cap is in place, and we've spent up to it, he can unretire and force his trade/release. Plus he can probably get to skip camp, because he'll be retired.
[/quote]

The difference is the Jets did not want Brett back...

The Bengals will not spend up to the cap to let this happen so it is a moot point...

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1295816412' post='964238']
It's all about the way you do it. Carson is potentially doing it behind closed doors, Chad does it while acting like a douche. Carson does it cause he's tired of the organization, Chad does it as a money grab.
[/quote]

I'm sure the eight years of losing isn't the common denominator.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1295813780' post='964207']
I notice you have only attacked people yet have yet to reply to Carson demanding a trade. When you see Brat in the hot tub tonight ask his opinion on the matter. Thats after you wash his dog of course.
[/quote]

Who gives a shit what his opinion is on the matter? He and his pal Francisco obviously know nothing more than anyone else about the state of this franchise or it's
Staff, he is obviously avoiding the topic because he's spent the better part of two years talking out of his ass claiming he's the "guru" of this board and none of us are allowed to have an opinion different than his... With this news it's safe to say any credibility he or Francisco had went straight down the can..

Archived