The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Redskins

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/CincyJungle"][b]Josh Kirkendall[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]CincyJungle[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/RSchweller"][s]@[/s][b]RSchweller[/b][/url] Reggie Nelson. Left the field under his own power after laying on the ground for a bit.his own power after laying on the ground for a bit.[/background][/font][/color]

I re-watched the game, and while Rey M didn't play particularly well, he wasn't as bad as I would have expected, given the comments on this thread. He whiffed on a tackle or two, but so did Clements, Rey, Nelson, Lawson, Geathers... and when he was blocked, it was by an OL - as opposed to Manny Lawson, whom i saw get trucked by a FB, effectively blocked by a WR, and a TE.

I think he ran out of gas late in the game, but other than one play when he wasn't gonna catch Griffin, who was towards the sideline and then got bounced out a few yards downfield, I didn't see him half-assing it. He needs to tackle better, no question - too many yards after contact on his tackles, and he needs to wrap up better, but I saw improvement over the Browns' game, when he was significantly worse. Of course he has to play better, but I felt he played better today than he's played so far this year. I'm not a Rey M hater or a Rey supporter per se - sure, I want him to play well, as I do any Bengal.

I wasn't impressed with Lawson, but I thought overall, Burfict looked instinctive and his tackling was solid. Vinny Rey wasn't very good, and I didn't see Skuta in there much. Like Rey, Burfict was blocked out of some plays, but I thought he played the best of the LBs (faint praise).

I would love to see this team sign a LB sooner than later.

Good
-Dalton, outside of the first play he played a great game. It seems like he's getting into a groove and letting the game come to him. I like that he finally started going to Gresham in high frequency.

-Best game of his career, imo. He still had a few lapses in focus, when he let the ball hit him in the face and the false start penalty, but he was a factor and a force to be reckoned with. He he can step it up a little bit more he will make this offense dominate.

-WR Corps was huge today. AJ showed out, Binns made a name for himself, Hawkins solidfied his status as a big time player...these guys are carrying the team so far this season.

-The DLine was was beasting today, these guys made a huge impact on the game today. MJ, Dunlap, Atkins, etc..All of the guys contributed and gave good effort. I really like the new FA, he's a physical player and mixes well with the current group. Dunlap is definitely the missing piece.

The Bad
-LB play was pretty bad, too many missed tackles on rookies...if we can't wrap up rookies it's going to be a long year on defense. Rey once gain missed atleast 3 tackles, but he wasn't alone. The LB corp as whole was struggling before losing their best player in T. Howard, now they are lost out there. No one to lead as of yet...normally your MLB would be that guy but yeah...
-The oline regressed a bit, they didn't get after it in the running game and had a few drive killing penalties/sacks. But the offense scored 38 points so they weren't that bad. I would have liked to see them run block a bit better and not give up sacks to backups.
-Law Firm struggled today, although he got in the end zone..he also fumbled and didn't do much with the opportunities he had in the backfield. He's played pretty well coming into the game so let's hope he's up to the challenge next week because we are going to need him.

The Ugly
-The secondary is awful. All we heard all offseason was how many former first round picks we have at CB, well who cares. If they are slow(Clements) and stupid(PacMan), or both(Newman) it does matter where they are drafted it they can't make any plays. They played better than they have all season but they still didn't make any game changing plays and made some awfully bad penalties to go along some spotty coverage. Having a vicious pass rush saves them but should be making some plays on those ducks that come wobbling out of the pocket and they aren't even doing that. The safeties really struggled today as well, Nelson didn't give a good effort and he's the best guy we've got back there. Not sure what is going on with these guys but they've got to get it figured out.

[b] [size=6]Bengals sack RG3 six times in win[/size][/b]

LANDOVER, MD. – After sacking quarterbacks five times in the first two games combined, the Bengals’ defense rallied to sack Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III six times for 53 yards in Sunday’s game alone.

Right defensive end Michael Johnson delivered three of the blows, bringing down the rookie for losses of four and five yards on consecutive plays in the first quarter. He also dropped Griffin for an 8-yard loss in the third quarter.

“(Griffin is) very elusive. And you know what helps, that I’m coming on his back side so he can’t see me,” said Johnson, the first Bengal to record a trio of sacks in a game since Antwan Odom had five against Green Bay in 2009.

“We all just did a good job of rushing together and that’s what Coach (Mike) Zimmer has been harping on. It was just good to get (Carlos) Dunlap back and (Wallace) Gilberry so we could all stay fresh and just keep coming.”

The Washington game was Dunlap’s first this season. The left defensive end was inactive in the first two games while he rehabbed his strained knee.

Dunlap reveled in his return, sacking Griffin for a 4-yard loss and forcing a fumble with four minutes left in the first half. Dunlap recovered the ball on the 12-yard line and BenJarvus Green-Ellis punched in a 1-yard touchdown run soon after.

“It was just a lucky play,” Dunlap said of the fumble. “I saw the play, I saw him running the read option and tried to get a good tackle on the quarterback. I saw him try to pitch it and I just tried to reach out there and slow down the play. I didn’t know I hit the ball until after I recovered it.”

The Bengals had a team sack, too, but Geno Atkins had the last word on the matter with 29 seconds to go. He sacked Griffin for a 15-yard loss, helping curb the Redskins’ furious late-game rally.

ANOTHER VIEW: Andy Dalton was sacked twice for a combined 16 yards.
Chris Wilson and Ryan Kerrigan dropped Dalton for a 7-yard loss in the first quarter. It was the 11th sack by a Bengals opponent this season.

Perry Riley doled out Sack No. 12 for a 9-yard loss in the second quarter.

[b]TWO IN A ROW:[/b] Wide receiver Andrew Hawkins finished Sunday’s game with two receptions for 66 yards, including a 59-yard catch for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

“It was a great call by Jay (Gruden). Andy threw an incredible – it was kind of like a seam over the middle. They had split safeties and Andy threw an incredible ball, threw a catchable ball where I could catch and run,” Hawkins said.

It marked the second touchdown for Hawkins in as many games.

[b]HAPPY BIRTHDAY:[/b] Marvin Lewis, 54, upped his record to 1-1 in Bengals games played on his birthday. The last one was a 24-21 loss at Seattle in 2007.

[b]DO-OVER: [/b]Bernard Scott’s first game this season may be one he’d like to forget. The fourth-year pro missed the preseason and first two games because of a hand injury and made his return in Washington.

Rob Jackson tackled Scott for an 8-yard loss on his first carry, and the running back finished with three carries for negative yardage (-5).

[b]OUCH:[/b] Robert Geathers (ankle) and Nate Clements (leg) left the game temporarily but returned. A.J. Green took a breather after having the wind knocked out of him.

“The ball went right in my stomach,” Green said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120923/SPT02/309230101/Bengals-sack-RG3-six-times-win?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1348468852' post='1162487']
I'm glad that BJGE got his first fumble out of the way in a win. I had a fear that it would be at a crucial moment in a crucial game.
[/quote]

yea I didn't think his streak would last the whole year, but glad to see it happened in a win. Time for a new streak.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1348487712' post='1162507']
I'm watching a bit of the game right now. Opponents have to hate playing the Bengals when Solomon Wilcots is in the booth. He's just a ray of orange sunshine. :)
[/quote]

IMO it depends. When the Bengals are good, he lays it on a little. When they are bad, he lays the wood on them a little thick.

Not necessarily bad: Law Firm's fumble didn't end up costing the game and the possible pressure of sports media harping on his streak may be lifted.

Ugly: 38-10 in 3rd qtr this season. This is not new. Opponents often have seemed to be better at making halftime adjustments than Marvin.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1348489858' post='1162524']
Ugly: 38-10 in 3rd qtr this season. This is not new. Opponents often have seemed to be better at making halftime adjustments than Marvin.
[/quote]

Is that on Marvin or a Zimmer? I would think it's more the coordinator than the HC... We weren't very good in the 3rd quarter prior to Zimmer, but we weren't good in any quarter prior to Zimmer.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1348455188' post='1162443']
I re-watched the game, and while Rey M didn't play particularly well, he wasn't as bad as I would have expected, given the comments on this thread. He whiffed on a tackle or two, but so did Clements, Rey, Nelson, Lawson, Geathers... and when he was blocked, it was by an OL - as opposed to Manny Lawson, whom i saw get trucked by a FB, effectively blocked by a WR, and a TE.

I think he ran out of gas late in the game, but other than one play when he wasn't gonna catch Griffin, who was towards the sideline and then got bounced out a few yards downfield, I didn't see him half-assing it. He needs to tackle better, no question - too many yards after contact on his tackles, and he needs to wrap up better, but I saw improvement over the Browns' game, when he was significantly worse. Of course he has to play better, but I felt he played better today than he's played so far this year. I'm not a Rey M hater or a Rey supporter per se - sure, I want him to play well, as I do any Bengal...[/quote]

Totally agree. Rey needs to improve, for sure, but he has been improving each week... I think the guys in the gameday thread can feed off each other, can get caught up in the tension of the game, and can overreact. I'm guilty of it too, on Sundays. Re-watching the games is showing a different side. He's getting better each week, and I'm seeing signs that will continue to be the case in the future.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1348457675' post='1162457']
I think the dude w/the Jesus hates the Steelers shirt was funnier.
[/quote]

That's one of my favorites.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1348490748' post='1162530']
You'd have to get the whole Mike Brown hatred thing to understand that, since your a skins fan you dont.
[/quote]

I'm a Bengals fan who's never understood the Mike Brown hatred. I've always thought the whole 'Mike Brown is evil, doesn't care, and is just in it for the money' vitriol was misguided. I feel sad for a decent man who is totally unsuited to follow in his father's footsteps, yet has spent his life trying... He is a tragic character, not an evil one.

Jesus hates the Steelers is way better, IMHO.

While I can certainly see the tragedy in Mike Brown, the mis management in the 90s was pretty historic and based on what everyone saw it is hard to say that a desire to spend as little as possible was not at least part of the problem. When a team is run that poorly for that long, the owner is going to be hated.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1348493763' post='1162544']

Totally agree. Rey needs to improve, for sure, but he has been improving each week... I think the guys in the gameday thread can feed off each other, can get caught up in the tension of the game, and can overreact. I'm guilty of it too, on Sundays. Re-watching the games is showing a different side. He's getting better each week, and I'm seeing signs that will continue to be the case in the future.

That's one of my favorites.

I'm a Bengals fan who's never understood the Mike Brown hatred. I've always thought the whole 'Mike Brown is evil, doesn't care, and is just in it for the money' vitriol was misguided. I feel sad for a decent man who is totally unsuited to follow in his father's footsteps, yet has spent his life trying... He is a tragic character, not an evil one.

Jesus hates the Steelers is way better, IMHO.
[/quote]

I watched the game twice already, if you think Rey is improving ill sell you some land in Florida. He was horrid yesterday. Even the announcers said he was " Having a tough time out there". Even the usual Rey supporters jumped off that wagon yesterday.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1348500047' post='1162574']
I watched the game twice already, if you think Rey is improving ill sell you some land in Florida. He was horrid yesterday. Even the announcers said he was " Having a tough time out there". Even the usual Rey supporters jumped off that wagon yesterday.
[/quote]

With you 100%. If I have the time I'll go through shortcuts and break down every snap focusing on him for the board. He WAS the Redskins' game plan, and they played him to perfection.

Archived