Roughing The Passer & Taunting

You know, these are 2 of the most bullshit calls out there. Sorry, let me rephrase that, there are some legitimate roughing the passer flags that need to be thrown, but there are a LOT of times that it's horse shit. Take today for example. That one we got late in the game that got us that first down. I'm really glad we got it, but I thought that was a bullshit call. A 300lb man just can't slam on the brakes and stop dead cold. In this particular instance, I think it was bullshit, and I see it happen like this all the time.

Taunting? Biggest pussy call I've ever seen. Treating these guys like kindergarteners. Is the taunting childish? Yes, but to throw a flag for it? What a pussy ass rule.

MULLY

Pussy ass rule or not (and it is) we have picked up two in two weeks.

The one Pittsburgh got was really lame.

Anyway, back to us, there should be some real ass ripping from the coaching

staff for that sort of immaturity and asinine behavior.  And maybe a bite in the pay check.

The piss poorest way to give yards to an opposing team.

The roughing the passer wasn't because of a late hit, the lineman speared Andy into the ground. They'll call that every time.

Exactly - and I like this rule. This rule has been in place for a long time now. There was a time when the league was losing starting QB's every week. Not because of the hits but because of the pile-driver like plants into the ground. 

The roughing the passer call was BS I agree but it Denver should have also been called for blatant PI on Gresham on that same play. Even-steven.

I don't like that they call it that way, but they do and the guy did it knowingly. I agree with Mully, he can't stop his momentum, but he reached back for something extra. Again, not roughing in my book, but it is in the NFL book.

The hit wasn't late. Driving him into the ground was illegal. Just like Denver fans I know complaining that the facemask call on D. Thomas was ticky tack. That's BS, like it or not, you grip the mask, it's automatically a personal foul worth 15 yards, no question. Of course it doesn't help when ESPN says let them play. That's stupid. If it's a foul, call it. Pacman was stupid but we don't win without him last night.

The roughing the passer call was textbook. I don't know how that could possibly be considered a bad call. He drove him into the ground and didn't release his grip. That is the exact thing you cannot do.

The hit wasn't late. Driving him into the ground was illegal. Just like Denver fans I know complaining that the facemask call on D. Thomas was ticky tack. That's BS, like it or not, you grip the mask, it's automatically a personal foul worth 15 yards, no question. Of course it doesn't help when ESPN says let them play. That's stupid. If it's a foul, call it. Pacman was stupid but we don't win without him last night.

Why was Pacman stupid? He didn't get a single flag yesterday. Reggie Nelson got the taunting.

Actually, Nelson got called on that and it was confirmed to not be a misnumbering during the broadcast.

The facemask call on Thomas was ridiculous. Still it was nice to see us getting some calls.

No, it wasn't.  You are allowed to put you hand on the facemask, but grabbing and pulling down is a facemask all day.  I'm always amazed at how Bengals fans want to act like we're getting something special when we get a call.

The facemask call on Thomas was ridiculous. Still it was nice to see us getting some calls.

it happened though. Intentional or not, it get called on lineman in the form of hands to the face. I don't know if they still have the 5 yard face mask incidental anymore but if they do the call probably could've been that. Either way it was a foul but 15 yards is a little steep.

No, it wasn't.  You are allowed to put you hand on the facemask, but grabbing and pulling down is a facemask all day.  I'm always amazed at how Bengals fans want to act like we're getting something special when we get a call.

Dre had a handful of Thomas's jersey on the same play so at best it should have been offsetting penalties. But the facemask call was pretty ticky tack. Thomas didn't yank it. You'll see a lot worse than that on most passing plays at the line of scrimmage when it's sometimes called and other times ignored.

Archived