The AFC North will regress in 2015

MIke Brown has found a coach that can get decent results given the Families financial requirements and market restrictions.    Mike also remembers his Dad being fired and remembers his Dad sticking by Sam Wyche and being rewarded with a AFC Championship and another AFC Central title in the 3 seasons following 1987.

I believe that is the foundation he uses to justify not changing coaches.   Given his lack of action at the head coaching level it's easier today for him to buy into that Marvin will return the franchise to the Superbowl vs. another coach at this point.

It's totally different from the dark decade.  Back then, we knew the team had very little talent so we expected them to lose each week.  When they won that occasional game, it was cause for celebration!

Now we have the talent (exception being mediocre QB) and a mediocre (at best) coach, so everyone becomes frustrated when we can't win the Prime Time and Playoff games.

The easiest way to fix this is to stop believing the majority of NFL analysts who say we have one of the best rosters in football. It's all BS. The team is average so expect average. Making the playoffs with this team was a huge accomplishment for Marvin. Zero pass rush and no WRS besides AJ and we still made it.

I've been hearing about the Bengals being expected to regress the next season every year since 2011. I'm tired of it at this point. I'm not expecting to be better, but I'm also not expecting 8-8. I'm tired of this stupid narrative by bloggers who have to provide filler for 9 months until the twilight zone starts again in September.

That's awesome we can win now during the season...it makes Sundays more enjoyable.  The fact of the matter is we have the same number of playoff wins this decade as we do during those dark years! 

How can you defend this most telling stat and say our two main components are anything but average at best???

NFL coaches record for most loses without a playoff win - Marvin Lewis - 0-6

NFL QB record for most playoff loses without a playoff win - Andy Dalton - 4

In the history of the NFL these guys rank first!!!!  How can you argue this???

The easiest way to fix this is to stop believing the majority of NFL analysts who say we have one of the best rosters in football. It's all BS. The team is average so expect average. Making the playoffs with this team was a huge accomplishment for Marvin. Zero pass rush and no WRS besides AJ and we still made it.

This is wrong.   5 out of 6 peat!

That does not happen given the QB seasons and Turnover margin they've gotten from those regular seasons if you just have an average roster.     

Marvin Lewis has been out scored 84-13 in the second half of playoff games and in each playoff game his QB has performed well below the regular season level of that QB.

I've been hearing about the Bengals being expected to regress the next season every year since 2011. I'm tired of it at this point. I'm not expecting to be better, but I'm also not expecting 8-8. I'm tired of this stupid narrative by bloggers who have to provide filler for 9 months until the twilight zone starts again in September.

Mehh most have had us as wildcard or better teams the last few years. Pretty spot on actually.

This is wrong.   5 out of 6 peat!

That does not happen given the QB seasons and Turnover margin they've gotten from those regular seasons if you just have an average roster.     

Marvin Lewis has been out scored 84-13 in the second half of playoff games and in each playoff game his QB has performed well below the regular season level of that QB.

I think Marvin, Zimmer, Gruden and Hue got the most out of these teams, in particular Zimmer. Hue went ground once he saw his receiving Corp decimated. We got there with coaching.

Mehh most have had us as wildcard or better teams the last few years. Pretty spot on actually.

Every year I hear the same shit from the media/bloggers/etc. saying the schedule will get tougher, there are questions about players returning from injuries, how will Andy Dalton perform, etc. Its all so mindless. Its the exact same season every year for this team. Why should anyone expect differently in 15-16? I count on certain thing every year:

-Dalton will be very hot at some point

-Dalton will be very cold at some point

-The Defense will look dominant in a few games

-The defense will look terrible for a few games

-The run-blocking will be shit always

-The pass-blocking will be very good for the most part

-Whitworth will be great

-Andre will be overrated

-A WR will fumble late in a close game

- Our 1st rounder will have a very small role

-Another one of our picks will be very good

- One of our position groups will be decimated with injuries

-This team will end up playing for the division title

-This team will lose in the Wild Card round

- Injuries will most likely be blamed

Its funny that Paul Brown was mentioned.  When folks talk about poor fans, bad Cincinnati, etc I remember the excitement early in the beginning.  The great Paul Brown was going to bring his legendary coaching prowess to town with an expectation of duplicating his earlier professional football success.  And certainly fans thought with 2 Super Bowl appearances he was on his way.

Looking back something changed.  There was a time I felt like the Bengals organization became less concerned with building a franchise and more concerned with buying one and had left Paul Brown's legacy unfulfilled.

I  feel that the recent success has wetted the appetite of a lot of fans especially us older ones.

We are happy but still unsatisfied.

That's awesome we can win now during the season...it makes Sundays more enjoyable.  The fact of the matter is we have the same number of playoff wins this decade as we do during those dark years! 

How can you defend this most telling stat and say our two main components are anything but average at best???

NFL coaches record for most loses without a playoff win - Marvin Lewis - 0-6

NFL QB record for most playoff loses without a playoff win - Andy Dalton - 4

In the history of the NFL these guys rank first!!!!  How can you argue this???

If you try hard enough, you can always come up with excuses and reasons to blame something else.  You're just not trying hard enough  

Pittsburgh will also draw a first-place schedule, giving it the additional pleasure of facing the Indianapolis Colts at home and the New England Patriots at home.

Doesn't one of those games have to be a road game?

Oh, wait, this is Urineburgh, nevermind.

:no ninja:

Sorry but Marvin Lewis LOST that team in 2010. It was fucking circus. No reason to give him yet another chance. It was his 8 th season with NO playoff wins. What has changed?

Paul Brown made it two 2 Superbowls and was in the playoffs 7 times as the owner. Mike Brown is YET to win a playoff game in 24 years to include 12 with Marvin at the helm.

If you want to compare Paul Browns vs Marvin Lewis coaching careers you are foolish but be my guest. In fact, someone do it, I am on my phone and can't at the moment.

PaUL Browns first 10 years coaching, 10 straight playoff appearances, 7 Championships.

Paul Brown was coaching the Bengals, a team created from scratch, before salary caps and free agency.

I should have clarified... I was stating what I think Mike Brown thinks now... not me.

I would never compare Marvin to PB... PB is a football diety.

I should have clarified... I was stating what I think Mike Brown thinks now... not me.
I would never compare Marvin to PB... PB is a football diety.

I would love to know what Mike Brown thinks. People reference how much it hurt when the Browns fired hid dad. The problem is his dad won a shit load of trophies BEFORE he was fired.

Every year I hear the same shit from the media/bloggers/etc. saying the schedule will get tougher, there are questions about players returning from injuries, how will Andy Dalton perform, etc. Its all so mindless. Its the exact same season every year for this team. Why should anyone expect differently in 15-16? I count on certain thing every year:

-Whitworth will be great

-Andre will be overrated

Good summation.   seems to be that way every year doesn't it?   Only thing I would change is based on contingency of Gresham returning, the He will be the one to fumble late in a close game.  Also I don't remember injuries being the BIG excuse/reason for past Playoff failures, but it sure applied to this year.

I would love to know what Mike Brown thinks. People reference how much it hurt when the Browns fired hid dad. The problem is his dad won a shit load of trophies BEFORE he was fired.

With all due respect to the legend...4 of those "trophies" were in the '40's version of the USFL. 

-Whitworth will be great

-Andre will be overrated

You forgot one:

- Pissburgh will come to Cincinnati and beat our ass on national TV

Its one thing to be a fan of the team and support them week to week as they do battle. It's an entirely different thing to excuse or even discuss some of the more questionable decisions made by the franchise ie ownership over the years.

The reality is Marvin Lewis should have been fired after the 2010 clusteruck of a season.

You're probably right. I know that if I were the GM, Marvin Lewis would have been gone after 2010.

Ask yourself this, though. If Marvin had been replaced after 2010, and his replacement had won 40 games since then, would you want him to be fired?

I really don't give three shakes of a lamb's ass if Marvin Lewis or Satan is coaching the Bengals. I want them to win a championship. Not a division championship. Not even a Conference Championship. I want them to win the Super Bowl. And then 50 more.

I don't have some sinister allegiance to Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, Mike Brown, or anyone else associated with the team.

I love the Cincinnati Bengals. I've lived all over the world - literally. Hell, I was born in Dayton, but have lived 95% of my life outside of Ohio. I've consciously TRIED to give a damn about other teams. Seriously. It's useless. I can't.

And it's because of that that I'm generally going to look for the positive in the guys who actually have something to do with the Bengals actually winning the championship I want so fucking badly.

I don't doubt that any of you want it just as much. Why it is that you elect to constantly talk shit about everything and everybody associated with the team, I'll never know. Maybe it's some sort of defense mechanism...

With all due respect to the legend...4 of those "trophies" were in the '40's version of the USFL. 

How dare you?!?

You're probably right. I know that if I were the GM, Marvin Lewis would have been gone after 2010.

Ask yourself this, though. If Marvin had been replaced after 2010, and his replacement had won 40 games since then, would you want him to be fired?

I really don't give three shakes of a lamb's ass if Marvin Lewis or Satan is coaching the Bengals. I want them to win a championship. Not a division championship. Not even a Conference Championship. I want them to win the Super Bowl. And then 50 more.

I don't have some sinister allegiance to Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, Mike Brown, or anyone else associated with the team.

I love the Cincinnati Bengals. I've lived all over the world - literally. Hell, I was born in Dayton, but have lived 95% of my life outside of Ohio. I've consciously TRIED to give a damn about other teams. Seriously. It's useless. I can't.

And it's because of that that I'm generally going to look for the positive in the guys who actually have something to do with the Bengals actually winning the championship I want so fucking badly.

I don't doubt that any of you want it just as much. Why it is that you elect to constantly talk shit about everything and everybody associated with the team, I'll never know. Maybe it's some sort of defense mechanism...

So much this; a perfect elucidation of he I feel about the team, particularly since moving away form the area. As for the last paragraph? I would guess cathartic venting...

How dare you?!?

I don't talk shit about everything.   In fact there are only a few things wrong with the team in my opinion and I actually believe we can win playoff games with Andy as the QB although it makes it a bit harder.   Team desperately needs some type of pass rush from the front 4, a linebacker and HEALTHY WRs.      

Doesn't detract from the fact the team was a basket case in 2010 and certain players were given carte blanche to act like idiots and freelance on the field. 

Archived