*** 2nd Round Pick: Jake Fisher - OT - Oregon ***

Then seriously why not trade Andre and get something for him?

There's no market for right tackles right now in the NFL.  Joseph Barksdale was supposedly going to have a pretty hot FA market and he's only being sniffed around.  People just don't like paying big dollars for that right side, one of the reasons I think Dre would have been back.  Pair that up with only having a year left on his contract and coming off a tricep tear.

Good news is that he will be playing his ass off to get a new contract from a new team, but its probably not going to net us a third round comp pick.

I wonder if this is another example of the compensatory picks strategy the Bengals have been following in recent years. Draft the replacement tackles now, let Whit and Andre leave next year, and score some compensatory picks for the 2017 draft?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's an age limit on the guys who qualify for comp. picks. So Whit leaving wouldn't qualify them for any comp picks (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Andre Smith is a pretty strong candidate to walk in FA and get the Bengals a future 3rd or 4th rounder.

I do think that next offseason the Bengals are going to try to keep as many of their own FAs as possible and then hope to add some comps for the guys they can't keep. Guys like AJ Green, Marvin Jones, George Iloka, Brandon Thompson, Reggie Nelson, Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, etc. But they aren't going to be able to keep all of them and some of them will end up getting pretty good contracts elsewhere. I'd expect the Bengals to not be real active for outside FAs and if they do, they'll have a preference for guys who were cut so they can rack up some extra comp. picks.

I like that we got Paul Dawson with the first comp. pick this year and that a lot of the people who absolutely love that pick are the same ones who think the comp. pick strategy is completely worthless.

Honestly, looking at Whit's Twitter he doesn't seem like he understands it and it's just business. Looks kind of bitchy tbh. I didn't hear Leon or Pac man whining about drafting dre or dennard And Whit is re tweeting that the Bengals don't deserve him is kind of uncharacteristic.

Honestly, looking at Whit's Twitter he doesn't seem like he understands it and it's just business. Looks kind of bitchy tbh. I didn't hear Leon or Pac man whining about drafting dre or dennard And Whit is re tweeting that the Bengals don't deserve him is kind of uncharacteristic.

He is just RT dumb fans that have no brains. He does it all the time.

Got to love all the rationalizations.

I get the first T, I think we could have waited a year, but I get it, the 2nd I don't get at all, Marvin called Andre a player on the cusp of a probowl. I realize you can't keep everyone but good teams find ways to keep their "probowl" players.  

I'm not sure how this draft gets us over them hump, but its all potential anyway I want to see the production.

Elaborate?

Hell, I will.  Winston is probably good as gone now.  Fisher will go in as the swing tackle this year.  Additionally, my guess would be Andre is gone, and they are positioning to have coverage in case Zeitler or Whit won't sign an extension.  If Whit does sign, as I would expect, you'll see some combination of Whit and the Big O on the left side, and Boling, Zeitler, Fisher on the right.  If both Zeitler and Whit work out deals, the Boling is the Jack of all positions.  This provides a TON of flexibility on this line.

Hell, I will.  Winston is probably good as gone now.  Fisher will go in as the swing tackle this year.  Additionally, my guess would be Andre is gone, and they are positioning to have coverage in case Zeitler or Whit won't sign an extension.  If Whit does sign, as I would expect, you'll see some combination of Whit and the Big O on the left side, and Boling, Zeitler, Fisher on the right.  If both Zeitler and Whit work out deals, the Boling is the Jack of all positions.  This provides a TON of flexibility on this line.

I could see hawksinson gone too.

They think both new guys can play all 5 spots.

Could go light on the OL and go heavy on DL, WR or LB.

I get the first T, I think we could have waited a year, but I get it, the 2nd I don't get at all, Marvin called Andre a player on the cusp of a probowl. I realize you can't keep everyone but good teams find ways to keep their "probowl" players.  

I'm not sure how this draft gets us over them hump, but its all potential anyway I want to see the production.

Lets make a rule that we're not allowed to take what a coach says about his player to the press as the truth, not that it can't be the truth....just kind of a general rule.

Andre has been very good, as has Whit, but all good things come to an end.  If they feel they can get more out of someone else, and for less cost, then so be it.  I don't think us questioning the picks as fans is very wise because we don't know their long term plans are.  You can't pay good money to 4 out of 5 spots on the OLine.  Have to mix younger guys with more manageable salaries with the higher priced vets.  

A 28 year old with various injuries that many "sources" have questioned his desire after a final extension...yeah i'd rather just grab the next young studly OL and let him walk to avoid those questions.

Lets make a rule that we're not allowed to take what a coach says about his player to the press as the truth, not that it can't be the truth....just kind of a general rule.

Andre has been very good, as has Whit, but all good things come to an end.  If they feel they can get more out of someone else, and for less cost, then so be it.  I don't think us questioning the picks as fans is very wise because we don't know their long term plans are.  You can't pay good money to 4 out of 5 spots on the OLine.  Have to mix younger guys with more manageable salaries with the higher priced vets.  

This is a very Team Weed-like response to the situation. Well done my brother.

A 28 year old with various injuries that many "sources" have questioned his desire after a final extension...yeah i'd rather just grab the next young studly OL and let him walk to avoid those questions.

I have to agree. The Bengals are not signing Whit to a big contract, regardless of how he plays this year. Signing Andre has always been a pain in the ass although for the right price he is still worth signing.

15.7 M this season to Whit, Andre, and Boling.

Take Collins in the 7th and next year you have the three positions covered for peanuts.

And then you use that money to extend AJ and company.

Window stays wide open.

I think it is clear the Bengals view the OT situation far differently than people here. The team realizes both starters can leave after this year and won't be resigned on the cheap. They realize one of them is approaching the end of his career and will be turning 34 this coming year. They realize the other guy is coming off yet another injury and probably his worst season. In other words, the Bengals are not "set" at the position like some people appear to believe. Hoping it all works out and that both guys stay healthy and under contract is not a strategy. You need to have contingencies in place so you aren't left scrambling if and when something bad happens, like it did last year. You don't want to be stuck starting someone like Newhouse.

As far as Fisher is concerned, the team had a first round grade on him and were probably surprised he made it to them in the second. I think it was a case of best player available and not being able to pass up the value, regardless of also drafting an OT yesterday.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's an age limit on the guys who qualify for comp. picks. So Whit leaving wouldn't qualify them for any comp picks (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Andre Smith is a pretty strong candidate to walk in FA and get the Bengals a future 3rd or 4th rounder.

Yes, the Steelers found that out when they expected a 3rd round pick for Alan Faneca but only got a 5th. It's not clear if the cap is due to calendar age or (more likely imo) seasons of tenure. 

All that said, the Bengals have plenty of cap space for 2016. We certainly have sufficient cap space to keep Whitworth and Smith if desired, along with AJ on a tag, and Iloka and Nelson. We're around 60 mil under the cap for 2016 before any extensions are done but after accounting for Dre and Zeitler's options being picked up.

15.7 M this season to Whit, Andre, and Boling.

Take Collins in the 7th and next year you have the three positions covered for peanuts.

And then you use that money to extend AJ and company.

Window stays wide open.

A friend of mine said the exact same thing. AJ's contract will not be cheap, obviously. You can't pay and keep everyone.

A friend of mine said the exact same thing. AJ's contract will not be cheap, obviously. You can't pay and keep everyone.

Certainly the team won't keep everyone. NFL teams average about 20-25% turnover per season. The point is that the Bengals can pay open market rates to the players they want to keep since they have an ungodly amount of cap space for 2016. Obviously it depends on how well they play in 2015 but my inclination would be to let Hall, Peko, Sanu, Maualuga and perhaps Marvin Jones walk. I'd give Whitworth, Adam Jones, and Nelson 2 year extensions and AJ Green, Andre Smith, Vinnie Rey, and George Iloka longer deals. I'd actually make Iloka the first target for an extension since AJ can be tagged at a fair price. 

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Bucs "will target" either Oregon OT Jake Fisher or Pittsburgh OT T.J. Clemmings with the No. 34 pick.

Aside from LSU T/G La'El Collins, who's in some hot water with the law, Fisher is the No. 1 offensive lineman left on Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris' big board. Clemmings is No. 2. Both had outside shots at going in the first round and should hear their names called early Friday night. Tampa Bay, looking to protect new QB Jameis Winston, is looking for a Week 1 starting right tackle.

Bengals selected OT Jake Fisher with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Fisher (6'6/306) made 35 starts for the Ducks, kicking from right to left tackle as a senior and earning first-team All-Pac 12 while allowing just one sack. Fisher has adequate arm length (33 3/4") to play any position up front, and big hands (10 3/8") to stone pass rushers. He shredded the Combine, running 5.01 with a 32 1/2-inch vertical and 7.25 three-cone time, one of the best among linemen. Fisher needs to add strength and improve his hand usage, but is athletic enough to develop into a top-notch pass blocker. In Kyle Long, Max Unger, and Geoff Schwartz, Oregon has churned out O-Line hits. With Andrew Whitworth and Andre Smith entering contract years, Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi are the Bengals' tackles of the future.

Jake Fisher said the Bengals are going to teach him how to play all three offensive line positions.

The Bengals are eager to use Fisher wherever they can. Fisher's clearest path would seem to be at right tackle, where Marshall Newhouse and Andre Smith split time last season. Left tackle Andrew Whitworth dominated in 2014 but the Bengals may not be able to re-sign him when he hits free agency.

Archived