The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Cardinals

Glad I fell asleep after the third quarter.  Gut-wretching.  You have to have better football awareness.  I know AJ had a good match-up, but  you have to burn the clock.  How the defense gives up that yardage with 50 seconds left is mind boggling.  

Should be a good bounce back next week against a pretty poor Rams team.

Yeah Chad was cocky but showed up

He did? I remember him being shut down plenty after stupid shit like pepto bismol to the Browns, for instance. All his can't stop me list did was piss off the opponents. He melted down at halftime of the 2005 playoff game and don't remember him being remotely a factor in 2009. What was this mythical big game Chad you seem to recall?

As for the game, I am oddly more confident in this team now than I was when it started. Old Bengals get blown out in the 3rd quarter like that and never recover. That NE primetime game last year comes to mind. Instead of this turning into a 38-14 defeat, they more than made it a game. Really great fourth quarter for the team. I am also cautiously optimistic that they have now figured out what a weapon Gio can be out of the backfield in a Sproles type patterns. He should be the innoculation against blitzes. It cost Arizona dearly.

Frankly, on a big stage, the Bengals looked like they belonged there, even with the loss. That's a huge step for this crew. I weirdly feel pretty good for them going forward now. But they do need to go ahead and take care of business against the Rams and Browns. Get to 10-2 and settle in for the last four.

What?  You are either drunk and upset or very young.

I don't drink and stand by my statement... exaggeration for effect, of course.

We went from 8-0 and talking about a bye week and home field through the playoffs to 8-2 after two abominable losses in games we could have/should have won but lost for the same old crap we have seen for years that has not been corrected and now looking over our shoulders at the freakin' Stealers.  Unless you won the lottery or something I think  November 16-22 was pretty fugly for Bengals fans in general, me included.  Hell, yes, I'm upset.  Who isn't?  Pissing a great season away with penalties, clock management, play calling, lack of focus and preparedness.  Now add injuries to the mix.  Deja vu all over again and I thought (hoped) we were over that.

He did? I remember him being shut down plenty after stupid shit like pepto bismol to the Browns, for instance. All his can't stop me list did was piss off the opponents. He melted down at halftime of the 2005 playoff game and don't remember him being remotely a factor in 2009. What was this mythical big game Chad you seem to recall?

But hey, he showed  up to the Jets 09' playoff game in a huge Ford F-650. There's that. 

Frankly, on a big stage, the Bengals looked like they belonged there, even with the loss. That's a huge step for this crew. I weirdly feel pretty good for them going forward now. But they do need to go ahead and take care of business against the Rams and Browns. Get to 10-2 and settle in for the last four.

I hear what you're saying, but there's no more moral victories for this team.  Expectations have been raised.  If they didn't flounder the entire 3rd quarter away they could have won by two scores.

It wasn't a moral victory - it was them slugging it out with another premier team. Winning would have been nice - but they belonged. And, frankly, that matters. By the way - the Cardinals are really good too.  Much like the Bengals, the Cardinals damn near 10-0. Two brain cramps from Palmer are all that are between them and that mark.

As for the game, I am oddly more confident in this team now than I was when it started. Old Bengals get blown out in the 3rd quarter like that and never recover. That NE primetime game last year comes to mind. Instead of this turning into a 38-14 defeat, they more than made it a game. Really great fourth quarter for the team. I am also cautiously optimistic that they have now figured out what a weapon Gio can be out of the backfield in a Sproles type patterns. He should be the innoculation against blitzes. It cost Arizona dearly.

I agree and feel the same.   I am disappointed that tactical errors turned a possible stolen victory into defeat, esp since we fighting against 2 teams last  night on the road.

OK...my officiating rant...feel free to skip to the next post...

Missed calls are annoying, but what really gripes my ass is phantom penalties.  They are disruptive to the game and totally unnecessary.  I counted 3 huge ones.  Dre's block, Dre's PI, and Peko's unsportsmanlike.   All 3 were game changers by themselves and killers collectively.   Even Andre's "leg whip" looked more like he was just rolling over and not  extending his legs to trip the rusher.  Huge marginal to completely fictional calls.  I've been especially sensitive to it since Pittspuke got another ring the same way in their Seattle game.

I agree and feel the same.   I am disappointed that tactical errors turned a possible stolen victory into defeat, esp since we fighting against 2 teams last  night on the road.

OK...my officiating rant...feel free to skip to the next post...

Missed calls are annoying, but what really gripes my ass is phantom penalties.  They are disruptive to the game and totally unnecessary.  I counted 3 huge ones.  Dre's block, Dre's PI, and Peko's unsportsmanlike.   All 3 were game changers by themselves and killers collectively.   Even Andre's "leg whip" looked more like he was just rolling over and not  extending his legs to trip the rusher.  Huge marginal to completely fictional calls.  I've been especially sensitive to it since Pittspuke got another ring the same way in their Seattle game.

Don't forget the one where Marvin Jones was pushed out of bounds and re-established himself to make the catch.  That's a catch, not a penalty.  Same exact play was called correctly in the GB game earlier in the day.  Also, the helmet to helmet on AJ Green that was so obvious the way the defender lead with the crown of his helmet.  Both 3rd down plays should have resulted in first downs that instead resulted in punts.

Ok your right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet again Dalton throws the deep ball out of bounds without giving his receivers a chance at it.....maddening.  

Even after all of crap that happened, Bengals still had a chance to win it.....3rd and 2 playcall was a tragedy.  How can you give Carson over a minute to get into field goal range when he'd been tearing the defense a new one all 2nd half.   Whoever is responsible for that 3rd and 2 call has some 'splainin to do.  Horrible, horrible call in that situation.  Just horrible. 

Dre Kirkpatrick....he's really stringing together a series of bad games.  His missed tackles were a thing to watch.  Deion Sanders, without the shut down coverage.  

OLine....at least they started to adjust at the beginning of the 4th qtr.  Only took til that long....

Carlos Dunlap, where have you gone?  Thank God for MJ being here.  Only DE that's getting consistent pressure.  

Carson had a great game after the 1st qtr....that's upsetting.  Wish the D could have shut him down and hit him often....neither one happened.  He played like a real MVP candidate last night.  

Refs were abnormally bad, several missed calls and several phantom calls.   PI on Dre on 3rd and 10 was a travesty.  Again, the NFL letting me know I need to reduce my interest in their product.  Refs can influence games tremendously, and outcomes can be changed.   I don't doubt one bit it happens.

I'm more worried about Dalton after last night.  He misses open receivers and throws some balls you have to wonder about.  Especially the deep balls out of bounds.  That 3rd and 2 attempt to AJ should have been 5 yds further downfield and it's a TD.  Severely underthrown.   He had AJ on a blown coverage earlier in the game and completely missed him as if not even looking downfield.  Actually, that 3rd and 2 should have been a run, but that's another story.  

Fought hard against a very good team on the road, under the bright lights.  Not too terribly disappointed aside from the fact that the game should have gone to OT at worst or Bengals should have won with a TD in regulation.  Hopefully they learn from this and put together another run to build momentum for the playoffs. 

Don't forget the one where Marvin Jones was pushed out of bounds and re-established himself to make the catch.  That's a catch, not a penalty.  Same exact play was called correctly in the GB game earlier in the day.  Also, the helmet to helmet on AJ Green that was so obvious the way the defender lead with the crown of his helmet.  Both 3rd down plays should have resulted in first downs that instead resulted in punts.

If I am not mistaken, I does not matter how he got out of bounds.  I you are OOB, no matter how, you can't be the first to touch the ball on pass or kick.

I like what we have done in the 4th Quarter of games this year.

The problem is we have had too many bad 3rd quarters. Coming out of the gates in the 2nd half flat has been a theme since Marvin has been here. It's frustrating.

The bad...

The third down call at the end of the game.  In that situation, you have to keep the clock running.  I'll be very interested to see if it was an audible.

The officiating was awful tonight.  The PI against Kirkpatrick was the worst call of the night.  The dozen or so holds by the Cardinals O-Line that were not called changed this game.

The ugly...

Jeremy Hill's personal foul was one of the most selfish things you'll ever see.  He should've been benched.  

Neither of the announcers realized that if Larsen had been called for a false start, there would have been a runoff and regulation would have expired.  

I know that's all been said by a few people so don't take this personally.  I'm only trying to avoid repeating it yet again.

3rd down call - inches from being a TD and a ballsy playcall that we'd all be celebrating.  The outcome doesn't always determine whether something was a good decision. They were playing to win the game.  AJ should've had better awareness & Dalton could've put a little more air under it. Either of those things happen and it's a whole different story.

Officiating: again, is what it is. "It's a passing league" so holding in particular is going to be ignored most of the time.  Also means marquee QB's get a level of protection others don't.  The other major sports have all had their scandals & cleaned up. The NFL hasn't, for reasons we don't need to get into again.

Hill: Did something stupid, but was it on the order of Pacman slamming someone's head into the ground? How come Green didn't get benched for fumbling? IDK why Hill's been Hue's whipping boy for the offense but he's fucking up a rare talent. We should've run him more, if anything, & that goes double for Gio.  That's 2 weeks in a row I've thought there was 150+ rushing there for the taking but that's not Hue's offense.  Instead we get redzone Swan Lake.  I've always heard "run at the blitz" but FFS adjust to it somehow, shotgun & Burkhead/Hewitt protecting, something.  "It doesn't matter what the playcall is" ?! Says Hue.

The announcers are shills. At least they didn't top it off by having Carey or whoever make excuses for the refs the whole game. Like the refs, don't expect that to change anytime soon.  NFL is teflon right now.

Had this game as loss.  Only disappointed they pissed away a chance at a win and got me believing.  Houston still the one that gets my goat. 

Even through a horrible 3rd, I knew they'd battle back.   Could have gotten to OT or a win with better calls. 

I believe the last two Palmer throws were against man cover, not prevent.  

Theyll be over confident when we meet in SuperBowl 

I know that's all been said by a few people so don't take this personally.  I'm only trying to avoid repeating it yet again.

3rd down call - inches from being a TD and a ballsy playcall that we'd all be celebrating.  The outcome doesn't always determine whether something was a good decision.

Officiating: again, is what it is. "It's a passing league" so holding in particular is going to be ignored most of the time.  Also means marquee QB's get a level of protection others don't.  The other major sports have all had their scandals & cleaned up. The NFL hasn't, for reasons we don't need to get into again.

Hill: Did something stupid, but was it on the order of Pacman slamming someone's head into the ground? How come Green didn't get benched for fumbling? IDK why Hill's been Hue's whipping boy for the offense but he's fucking up a rare talent. We should've run him more, if anything, & that goes double for Gio.

The announcers are shills. At least they didn't top it off by having Carey or whoever make excuses for the refs the whole game.

Now that the dust has settled, I've changed my mind about the 3 and 2 pass.  Watching the replay, the Bengals couldn't have gotten a better look.  So, I take back what I said before and give props to Andy Dalton for going after the win.  I think the left end impacted the throw just enough, but 8 out of 10 times, that's a touchdown.  

I don't incessantly cry about the officiating.  It is what it is.  Last night, though, every single time the Cardinals ran the ball, there were Bengal jersey being stretched.  And for a significant stretch it looked like the Cards had decided they couldn't block Geno Atkins, so they just bearhugged him.  

As for Jeremy Hill, when you're struggling and fighting to get on the field, you should make better decisions.  Five minutes into the game, what could he possibly be so upset about?  

The last thing I'll say is that Paul Guenther has to do a better job of rotating his linemen.  The Bengals front four has been successful FOR YEARS when they are shuffling in and out.  When Atkins and Dunlap (in particular) get too many reps, the results in the fourth quarter are predictable.  I kept waiting for Dunlap to make a play down the stretch.  He gave good effort and pulled out every move in his repertoire, but his legs were shot.    

All that said, I still believe this is the best Bengals team I've ever seen.  I expect them to finish 14-2.

Bottom line. Arizona's top corner was out. Dalton needs to make that throw. That's all on Dalton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for the fact that AJ wasn't open and the situation says otherwise.  If it were 2nd and 2, yeah go for it.  Horrible game awareness.

Archived