Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Jason

What would YOU do with AJ Green?

AJ Green Poll  

40 members have voted

  1. 1. Read the post. What would you do?

    • Long term extension
    • Tag and keeo
    • Tag and trade


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

If you tag him he will not report to camp until the very end.  Burrow needs to start throwing to his receivers like now, assuming he is pick #1.   Unless the plan is to tag and trade the tag should NOT be used. 

 

AJ says he wants a longer term deal. If he is tagged, he can't sign one after July 15. I think if he is tagged, he will sign the tender soon and report for offseason activities. The team will no doubt want a good chunk of his compensation tied to weekly roster bonuses so if that is understood, there is no reason not to extend him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bfine said:

As I said; the smart move is transition tag. Let him go out and find the best deal he can and we have the chance to match it. 

 

HAs the league officially outlawed the ability for a team to insert a “poison pill” in the contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

AJ says he wants a longer term deal. If he is tagged, he can't sign one after July 15. I think if he is tagged, he will sign the tender soon and report for offseason activities. The team will no doubt want a good chunk of his compensation tied to weekly roster bonuses so if that is understood, there is no reason not to extend him.

His agent won’t let him sign such a deal me thinks unless it comes with a very big chunk of guaranteed money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cricket said:

 

HAs the league officially outlawed the ability for a team to insert a “poison pill” in the contract?

Yes, it was in the 2011 CBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SF2 said:

His agent won’t let him sign such a deal me thinks unless it comes with a very big chunk of guaranteed money. 

 

But Green isn't worth as much to any other team as the Bengals. The tag is about 18 mil and he wouldn't get that on the open market from anyone including the Bengals. If he really wants to finish his career here and wants a multi-year deal, then something like 4 years 60 mil with 15 mil in signing bonus, low annual salaries with most of the yearly payout in per game active roster bonuses is the way to go. Green and his agent can hardly object to being paid for availability when he's missed 23 of his team's last 32 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sparky151 said:

 

But Green isn't worth as much to any other team as the Bengals. The tag is about 18 mil and he wouldn't get that on the open market from anyone including the Bengals. If he really wants to finish his career here and wants a multi-year deal, then something like 4 years 60 mil with 15 mil in signing bonus, low annual salaries with most of the yearly payout in per game active roster bonuses is the way to go. Green and his agent can hardly object to being paid for availability when he's missed 23 of his team's last 32 games. 

You vastly underestimate the stupidity of other owners and GMs in this league.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 7:53 AM, Le Tigre said:

Lol @ this "quit on the team" rubbish. Did Boy Wonder tell him to suit up, and he said no? 

 

He was legit hurt...then not so much hurt...then parked for the season. This was the decision of the alleged HC and the folks above him.

 

As to the question: do all they can do to sign long-term. 

But even if it were their decision, don't you think it would have been based on the feedback he was giving them?  It just seems suspicious that an injury that was diagnosed to be a few weeks, turned into months, and that the slow recovery coincided with one of the worst seasons in the history of the franchise.  I'm admittedly just speculating, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SF2 said:

You vastly underestimate the stupidity of other owners and GMs in this league.  

 

No, in fact they will generally act in a more intelligent manner than the Bengals will. AJ Green is well past his prime and isn't going to get Amari Cooper or Mike Thomas money on the open market. Especially when this year's WR draft class is so deep. A team signing Green to a multi-year deal would have to be highly confident his health issues were behind him. There is no reason to think that, indeed strong evidence that proposition isn't true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I know AJ is looking for a long term deal.  What kind of money does everyone think he is wanting?

Good question.  I wish I knew what happened the last 12 weeks.  You can bet any good GM thinking about AJ already knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like most tag and keep or long term.. having a player like that for a young QB (hopefully) would be ideal. i mean look how long he made andy dalton pretend to be a real NFL qb....

 

protect and give weapons and let the young passer grow up on the field asap...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the fact that he hasn't actually played very much football over the past 2 years really registers with the fans or the FO.  Once again we are stuck in 2015 & will likely pay him accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer him a 2-year deal with a club option for a 3rd.  If he doesn't accept, tag him.  This team has too many holes to fill to burn an early pick on a WR this draft.  Unless they make a significant splash in free agency, rounds 2 & 3 have to be OL and LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrap him in bubble wrap like I was packing up that fabrege' egg from the movie Risky Business. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 yr 75 mill, 25 mil guaranteed.  Pay the full guarantee over the 1st two years, so you have no dead money after year two with 40 mill being in the last two years.  If he gets back to form he is one of the top 5 receivers in the league and would be a Great help to Burrow.  If he can’t you’re out 30 mill or so to a guy that helped make your team relevant and wants to be a Bengal for life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer on Green will be 'it depends'. Lets say for example they trade Dalton and Glenn and get two 4th rounders (just saying). Then at the top of round two they get a nice offer and trade down a few spots and add a third rounder. And we know the WR depth is very good in this draft so you can pick one up within these picks. That might change the thinking on Green - franchise him and let him prove he is back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

4 yr 75 mill, 25 mil guaranteed.  Pay the full guarantee over the 1st two years, so you have no dead money after year two with 40 mill being in the last two years.  If he gets back to form he is one of the top 5 receivers in the league and would be a Great help to Burrow.  If he can’t you’re out 30 mill or so to a guy that helped make your team relevant and wants to be a Bengal for life.  

Mehh I don't know.  It would be a no brainer if he had played the last few games of the season and looked good BUT he didn't. 

 

BTW, bringing him back because he made the team relevant 4 years ago and wants to be a Bengal for life is a really bad reason to sign him to a new contract.   He should be re-signed if he can actually produce for the team and he should get paid a lot if he can prove he can still play at a high level.   Now I have ZERO idea where he stands in any of these categories so I guess I have to HOPE the front office and medical staff have a good idea what kind of condition he is in.  I would expect at least a full physical and the team to actually put him thru some type of tryout to include timing him.   Every other competent team would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to speculate here. It may be a good thing that he did not play last year. With all the little nagging injuries that AJ has had, he basically has not played for almost 2 years. Would that have helped to have those finally heal up completely? Who knows, certainly not the Bengals crack medical staff. I thing a 3 year contract around 30 to 45 million total, with incentives built into it, would be fair to both sides. AJ has to realize that his injury history makes such a contract reasonable and is probably what he would face on the open market. When he is healthy, he is still going to be one of the best, but if he can't get on the field, he is not going to make any money, here or elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crazycat said:

Just to speculate here. It may be a good thing that he did not play last year. With all the little nagging injuries that AJ has had, he basically has not played for almost 2 years. Would that have helped to have those finally heal up completely? Who knows, certainly not the Bengals crack medical staff. I thing a 3 year contract around 30 to 45 million total, with incentives built into it, would be fair to both sides. AJ has to realize that his injury history makes such a contract reasonable and is probably what he would face on the open market. When he is healthy, he is still going to be one of the best, but if he can't get on the field, he is not going to make any money, here or elsewhere.

Again, none of us have any idea what kind of physical shape he is in.  He had surgery for turf toe then the ankle surgery.  Dez Bryant is YOUNGER than AJ and was just a dominant until he had what seemed to be a fairly simple procedure on his foot early in the 2015 season.  Lost speed and  was never the same.   I am more worried he can't perform at a high level anymore than further injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Again, none of us have any idea what kind of physical shape he is in.  He had surgery for turf toe then the ankle surgery.  Dez Bryant is YOUNGER than AJ and was just a dominant until he had what seemed to be a fairly simple procedure on his foot early in the 2015 season.  Lost speed and  was never the same.   I am more worried he can't perform at a high level anymore than further injury.  

I agree, that is why I feel that an incentive based contract is the best he is going to get and if I was the GM is the direction I would go. Being as its Mikeyboy, all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the current WR corps can be fine with competent line and QB play, so I really don't view this as a huge priority. If I am guaranteed a tag-and-trade, then I do that. Otherwise, I don't really mind letting him walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kennethmw said:

4 yr 75 mill, 25 mil guaranteed.  Pay the full guarantee over the 1st two years, so you have no dead money after year two with 40 mill being in the last two years.  If he gets back to form he is one of the top 5 receivers in the league and would be a Great help to Burrow.  If he can’t you’re out 30 mill or so to a guy that helped make your team relevant and wants to be a Bengal for life.  

That sounds like something the Bengals would do.  I'm not so sure it's a good idea.  Ask yourself, what would the top teams in the league do?  They would tag him, maybe trade him if there was a market, and/or offer him an incentive laid contract.  Sometimes you have to move on from guys on the downswing.  Look at all the good players NE has let walk.  The vast majority of the time it has bee the right decision.  Same for Pittsburgh (when they were dominant).  I know, I know...the Bengals don't have the player ready to replace guys like Green.  You are correct, but at some point the Bengals are going to have to start acting like a smart franchise.  Why not now?

 

The Bengals have paid AJ Green a lot of money.  If he wants top dollar, or even close to that, with his age and injury history then you have to be ready to say goodbye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we're drafting Burrow, the focus of this offseason should be on making sure his career gets off to a good start. Having a healthy AJ Green would make that a lot easier. So, at a minimum, tag AJ and keep him for 2020. I'd offer him a 5 year deal for a stated value of 90 mil but with only about a 10 mil signing bonus and only the first year guaranteed. It would also be backloaded, and pay as you go so the team could get out of it after each season without great difficulty. Base salaries would be veteran minimum with the rest of the annual pay based on per game roster bonuses. So if AJ is healthy and productive, he'll see the whole 90 mil. If not, he'll get paid a lot less. Green's agent might not like that structure, but it's an above market rate for an often injured player who seems to be in decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Assuming we're drafting Burrow, the focus of this offseason should be on making sure his career gets off to a good start. Having a healthy AJ Green would make that a lot easier. So, at a minimum, tag AJ and keep him for 2020. I'd offer him a 5 year deal for a stated value of 90 mil but with only about a 10 mil signing bonus and only the first year guaranteed. It would also be backloaded, and pay as you go so the team could get out of it after each season without great difficulty. Base salaries would be veteran minimum with the rest of the annual pay based on per game roster bonuses. So if AJ is healthy and productive, he'll see the whole 90 mil. If not, he'll get paid a lot less. Green's agent might not like that structure, but it's an above market rate for an often injured player who seems to be in decline.

Again the question is simple:  Is he healthy?  What kind of 40 time can he run now?  He hasn't played competitive football for 14 months due lower leg injuries.  There is no reason to sign him to a big contract based on hope.   No other team would offer him a contract without him working out for them first due to these injuries.   Antonio Brown had to work out for the clubs who were looking to sign him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...