The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: New York Jets 10/31/21

19 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Just one other observation regarding this...

I was watching SNF last night and there was a play that to my eyes looked exactly like this one.  There was no flag, there was no ref discussion, the commentators didn't say a word about it, play just continued.  I know we shouldn't blame the refs for the loss, but jeeeeessshhhhh, still just pisses me off.

We can all agree that the Bengals should have never been in a position that this call had an impact on the game BUT, it did. The referee cost the Bengals a chance to tie and/or win this game. It was a very poor call.

23 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Just one other observation regarding this...

I was watching SNF last night and there was a play that to my eyes looked exactly like this one.  There was no flag, there was no ref discussion, the commentators didn't say a word about it, play just continued.  I know we shouldn't blame the refs for the loss, but jeeeeessshhhhh, still just pisses me off.

... I've stepped back from the ledge a bit and can now comment, somewhat

How can you aim for a clean tackle of a guy around his thigh pads if you don't lower your head?

Leave it up and you break your neck.

Would not have been helmet to helmet if the Jet had not lowered HIS head and hit Hilton.

No call or helmet to helmet on the Jet.

If the Bengals were going to lose, so be it.  They played a terrible game.

But to lose because they had stolen an opportunity to try to do something is

a total pant load.  I have not been this down about the Bengals since Joe went down last season.

Piling on to everyone else's comments.  +1s to all if I could.

I woke up at 3:00 AM and could not get back to sleep when this became a brain worm.

I have not been this down about the New Bengals since Joe went down.

The Good...

Tee Higgins may have gotten away with one on the long one handed circus catch.  May have.

The Refs' bank accounts this morning after a large deposit from Cheech "Da Fish" Lombrosio of Newark.

Joe got up.

The Bad and Ugly

The tackling.  Even during the game and hate looking ahead but I could envision wet dream in Cleveland looking at that game film.

Hopkins... Get something done before the looming trade deadline or teach the Shelvinator how to snap the ball and squat there so someone has to run around him real quick.

The Jets Cheerleaders... The Prancing Clydesdales.  

Joe is back to holding the ball too long.  Ja'marr isn't going to get that open on every play, Joe, check down or get rid of it.

Speaking of Ja'marr... the return of the dropsies.  Is it that he simply cannot make a simple catch?

JMHO but I thought the Jets receiver did not have possession for the second time in a row on their one touchdown.  Replay showed it up on his shoulder pad as he was falling out of bounds in the end zone.  I don't think the refs had the gonads to make two close calls in a row in NY/NJ.

Cleveland's running game.

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I woke up at 3:00 AM and could not get back to sleep when this became a brain worm.

The Good...

Tee Higgins may have gotten away with one on the long one handed circus catch.  May have.

The Refs' bank accounts this morning after a large deposit from Cheech "Da Fish" Lombrosio of Newark.

Joe got up.

The Bad and Ugly

The tackling.  Even during the game and hate looking ahead but I could envision wet dream in Cleveland looking at that game film.

Hopkins... Get something done before the looming trade deadline or teach the Shelvinator how to snap the ball and squat there so someone has to run around him real quick.

Joe is back to holding the ball too long.  Ja'marr isn't going to get that open on every play, Joe, check down or get rid of it.

Speaking of Ja'marr... the return of the dropsies.  Is it that he simply cannot make a simple catch?

JMHO but I thought the Jets receiver did not have possession for the second time in a row on their one touchdown.  Replay showed it up on his shoulder pad as he was falling out of bounds in the end zone.  I don't think the refs had the gonads to make two close calls in a row in NY/NJ.

Completely agree on this. That was not a TD either. 

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The Good...

Joe got up.

The Bad and Ugly

that was exactly what I thought as well.

Since I'm here. I'll say most everybody summed up my feelings pretty well.

The only difference is that for whatever reason (not sure why), I'm not totally pissed about this loss.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks and I was bitching about it - but - my heart just says this team will grow from this and just maybe be even better.

I thought Hubbard said it best that "were no longer the hunter - we're the hunted....we need to learn from this" {paraphrasing}

It will be real interesting to see how they play this next game - it will tell us a lot about this team.

14 minutes ago, The Resource said:

Bernard Berrios’ TD catch was not a TD at all. But they weren’t pulling that one off the board right after they just overturned the other, or they’d have been hanging out under the Meadowlands with Hoffa.

Agree and my thoughts exactly... or quite similar at the very least.

Welcome to the board. 

I hope to see more of your posts and insights.

Say what you want about the culture, etc... (As I recall, Marvin had brought a whole new "winning" culture back in 2002...)

Taylor and Arumano got outcoached today. Taylor's offense couldn't move the ball against a poor Jet's defense, and Arumano couldn't stop a rookie QB. 26 passes to guys covered by linebackers? You got outschemed bro. BADLY. 

And watching the Jets just really put the exclamation point on how... Shitty Zac's play calling is. They're dumping passes short early because they know we're going to hit the run hard because of the QB. Zac's just like "They think we're going to throw short, and we did!" This isn't college. You can't just walk out and steam roll any team in the NFL.

In regards to the helmet to helmet bad call against the Bengals;  we got away with a helmet to helmet earlier in the game.  Should have called that one.  I don't have a rewind of the game but I believe it was near one hour and fifteen minutes into the game.  In other words, I know the refs have made a questionable  call on the basis of an earlier missed call.  IMHO.   I'm less concerned about a bad call than making a green QB a hero.  Don't get me started on allowing the Jets to score that many points.   Pathetic.  End of my soapbox tirade.

4 minutes ago, Numbers said:

In regards to the helmet to helmet bad call against the Bengals;  we got away with a helmet to helmet earlier in the game.  Should have called that one.  I don't have a rewind of the game but I believe it was near one hour and fifteen minutes into the game.  In other words, I know the refs have made a questionable  call on the basis of an earlier missed call.  IMHO.   I'm less concerned about a bad call than making a green QB a hero.  Don't get me started on allowing the Jets to score that many points.   Pathetic.  End of my soapbox tirade.

Very possibly.  In the NHL makeup calls have been part of the game for  a long time.  Teams expect things to get evened up, BUT....Last season a  NHL referee said it out loud and was immediately fired.  I expect much of the same happens in the NFL.  Calls like holding and pass interference are such judgement calls that refs have to question themselves about if they are being consistent and fair.  That leads to makeup calls.

14 minutes ago, Numbers said:

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Very possibly.  In the NHL makeup calls have been part of the game for  a long time.  Teams expect things to get evened up, BUT....Last season a  NHL referee said it out loud and was immediately fired.  I expect much of the same happens in the NFL.  Calls like holding and pass interference are such judgement calls that refs have to question themselves about if they are being consistent and fair.  That leads to makeup calls.

I agree with everything both of you said, but there is some nuance here.  

First, Numbers - I think you're talking about the sideline hit where the Jets runner got REALLY low as the Bengal player came in to push him out so the Bengal player basically dropped his head at the last second rather than take a helmet to the legs.  This is the kind of hit the players have been saying gets let go all the time because with players being that low there isn't much recourse and helmet hits are going to happen.  Admittedly though the Bengal player's technique was pretty bad, but at the same time he for sure took the worst of it, I was surprised after seeing the replay that he hadn't hurt himself.  With that said, this the argument the players have been making the last couple days, that Hilton was so low that it makes no sense to call it when it gets let go constantly game after game.

As for make up calls - they obviously happen in hockey all the time and I expect from time to time in football, but another unwritten part of that unwritten rule is that you both don't choose a game-changing moment to do it AND at least in hockey you do it as quickly as possible after the original mistake.  If it being a make up call was at all part of the equation here neither of those requirements were met - they made the call that completely changed the game at the most crucial time, and this happened way after the other potential mistake.  The most common I'd attribute make-up calls to in football is holding, it's easy to call and is almost guaranteed to happen to some degree on every play.  One play in this game I felt could be chalked up to that was the one holding call against the Jets where like three flags came out immediately after the Jets had clearly been getting away with some pretty consequential holds early on.  I'd much rather they just be consistent than this sort of hairbrained mess of letting everything go then suddenly calling shit.

The thing that bugs me is how smug the ref has been (the main ref, not the guy who made the call) in interviews, saying he's not going to "verse you on how to tackle properly" and he "should have hit him with his shoulder".  Just look at the replay, he TRIED to use his fuggin shoulder and the runner dropped his head into him.  Anyway, the whole rule as written is too vague and open to interpretation.  

In the end as we've all said they didn't lose *because* of that call, but we lost the chance to win, and that sucks.

35 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If it was a make up call... the timing of it sucked.

If we got it back, Joe was just as likely to throw a blooper interception as not, too.

And we were not playing all that super against those ass clowns, anyway.

I think it was a terrible call no matter what the reason.

No call and let them play the game.

That call goes beyond the Bengals winning or losing. It sets a horrible precedent, particularly since it's being defended by officials ever since. If that's the right call then offensive ball carriers need to get coached up on how to lower their helmet and find contact with the defender's helmet. How many times have we heard that there aren't many calls for 3rd and a mile? Well here's an idea...

4 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

As for make up calls - they obviously happen in hockey all the time and I expect from time to time in football, but another unwritten part of that unwritten rule is that you both don't choose a game-changing moment to do it AND at least in hockey you do it as quickly as possible after the original mistake.  If it being a make up call was at all part of the equation here neither of those requirements were met - they made the call that completely changed the game at the most crucial time, and this happened way after the other potential mistake.  The most common I'd attribute make-up calls to in football is holding, it's easy to call and is almost guaranteed to happen to some degree on every play.  One play in this game I felt could be chalked up to that was the one holding call against the Jets where like three flags came out immediately after the Jets had clearly been getting away with some pretty consequential holds early on.  I'd much rather they just be consistent than this sort of hairbrained mess of letting everything go then suddenly calling shit.

I really don't disagree with anything here, but I think makeup calls aren't always conscious.  Guys may just be looking harder for a penalty because they feel the other team got one that was questionable.  This is pretty close to what the NHL ref said that got him shitcanned.  So, I agree the timing was horrible and I don't think the ref did it on purpose, but it still could have been a makeup call, IMO. 

Archived