Keeping our enemies close

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Yeppp

This league can be quite funny at times. When the cap dropped all teams hunkered down and started to really spend some time and effort on the value of players. Now that the cap is rising again, it is silly time again. The Watson contract was ridiculous on so many levels and now we have #1 receivers going down the QB path. Every team will have a QB, a #1 receiver and an edge rusher and then just fill in the gaps with anybody. Very strange. 

49 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The concern is that the league is going to go the way of the NBA/MLB where you end up still paying guys not on the team years later. Like the Reds are still paying for Griffey Jr.

I think the Mets just finally issued the last paycheck to Bobby Bonilla. 

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Reds are still on the hook for Griffey Jr for 3 more years. He’s currently the sixth highest paid player on the payroll. 

Yup all the way through 2024.

I feel like if the Reds are gonna shed this payroll can't they just pay his contract out early and be done with it?

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The concern is that the league is going to go the way of the NBA/MLB where you end up still paying guys not on the team years later. Like the Reds are still paying for Griffey Jr.

With no salary cap why wouldn't they?  All the leagues need to go toward a model where players get paid while they are in their prime.  NHL and NBA are going that way more than NFL and MLB is stuck in "make sure the agents get the most possible" mode.

MY IDEA: I think the NFL should consider having 1 player per team that doesn't count against the salary cap (almost all teams would choose their QB, but you wouldn't have to) call it the teams "Alpha" player, and they get to wear an Alpha symbol patch. That would take away some of the punishment that a team receives from developing a stud QB, where they are then forced to give 1/4 of their teams payroll to them, while teams that never have a QB worth a damn (which hurts the quality of the league) can skate on by without ever having that burden.

But it could also be used on an all-world DE, CB etc. The players would love this idea too, as it would mean 32 players at any one time would not be held back by the salary cap on their true value. One caveat is the player would be designated for the entire duration of their deal (not year by year) and once or if their "Alpha" status ends, they would automatically become a free agent (to stop manipulation of it). This way if a team has a star player that fans just can't see released or traded, the owners would never be able to say "we just can't get them under our cap" - when they could designate them the Alpha player and sign them for whatever it takes. 

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

MY IDEA: I think the NFL should consider having 1 player per team that doesn't count against the salary cap (almost all teams would choose their QB, but you wouldn't have to) call it the teams "Alpha" player, and they get to wear an Alpha symbol patch. That would take away some of the punishment that a team receives from developing a stud QB, where they are then forced to give 1/4 of their teams payroll to them, while teams that never have a QB worth a damn (which hurts the quality of the league) can skate on by without ever having that burden.

But it could also be used on an all-world DE, CB etc. The players would love this idea too, as it would mean 32 players at any one time would not be held back by the salary cap on their true value. One caveat is the player would be designated for the entire duration of their deal (not year by year) and once or if their "Alpha" status ends, they would automatically become a free agent (to stop manipulation of it). This way if a team has a star player that fans just can't see released or traded, the owners would never be able to say "we just can't get them under our cap" - when they could designate them the Alpha player and sign them for whatever it takes. 

I dont entirely hate this idea, as it's becoming a league where your QB getting record breaking deals is hampering the teams ability to keep other good players. 

I just need it fleshed out in greater detail to be sure that the large market teams can't just go give Joe Burrow enough money to make Jeff Bezos blush and end up stealing that type of player away from the small market teams that can't afford it.

There has to be some sort of middle ground here.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont entirely hate this idea, as it's becoming a league where your QB getting record breaking deals is hampering the teams ability to keep other good players. 

I just need it fleshed out in greater detail to be sure that the large market teams can't just go give Joe Burrow enough money to make Jeff Bezos blush and end up stealing that type of player away from the small market teams that can't afford it.

There has to be some sort of middle ground here.

Yes..

BJ is on to something and your idea of how much with the Alpha player is

a big issue.

This could probably work out unless the 

Richie Riches of the league wouldn't support it..

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Yes..

BJ is on to something and your idea of how much with the Alpha player is

a big issue.

This could probably work out unless the 

Richie Riches of the league wouldn't support it..

I actually think it's the other way around. I can only imagine the Dan Snyders of the world who haven't had a good QB in a very long time, throwing way more money than the Brown family could afford, at a guy like Burrow.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I actually think it's the other way around. I can only imagine the Dan Snyders of the world who haven't had a good QB in a very long time, throwing way more money than the Brown family could afford, at a guy like Burrow.

Good point..

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Plus Snyder would put half the contract off the books anyway.

:ninja:

Was looking at salaries and team payroll for the 49's in 1991vwith Montana and Rice on board.

49's

Team salary....40mil

Montana.........3.5mil

Rice.................1.0mil

Thats roughly 10% of team payroll..

Bengals..

2024 cap is at 260mil

Jb....................55mil

Chase..............28mil

Thats roughly 30% of team payroll..

Archived