RB Offseason 2023

I think Mixon's fate will depend on how the draft plays out. I do not think they will draft a RB just to cut Mixon. I suspect they stick to their board and if a RB they like falls to them they draft him, then they start talks with Mixon about his future here. If a RB does not fall Mixon is your starter again. I also suspect that if they do draft a RB they may ask Mixon to take a paycut to stick around.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I think Mixon's fate will depend on how the draft plays out. I do not think they will draft a RB just to cut Mixon. I suspect they stick to their board and if a RB they like falls to them they draft him, then they start talks with Mixon about his future here. If a RB does not fall Mixon is your starter again. I also suspect that if they do draft a RB they may ask Mixon to take a paycut to stick around.

Aside from him possibly accepting a substantial pay cut I just don't see the value.  He's turned into a plodder with the ball, still can't (or won't) block, and seems to be spending his offseason trying to catch a case on weapons charges or worse.

We need this guy because..   ?

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Aside from him possibly accepting a substantial pay cut I just don't see the value.  He's turned into a plodder with the ball, still can't (or won't) block, and seems to be spending his offseason trying to catch a case on weapons charges or worse.

We need this guy because..   ?

Because at the moment he is the best RB on the team.

20 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

There's really no reason to cut Mixon if we're not going to spend the cap space this year.  There may be a few more smaller signings left, but are there any big fish out there that would command that cap space?

Cap space is always useful. It can be carried into the next year if not used this season. But we still need to sign a bunch of guys to get to 90 for training camp. There's no reason to wildly overpay Mixon for what lots of guys can deliver. 

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not really, the other two are backups at best. 

Maybe not but I saw nothing out of Mixon last year to recommend him as a starter either. Sad to say but he seems like dead weight at this point. Any vet FA out there that's at least willing to pick up a blitz would be an upgrade. 

31 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... Bringing back Tre Flowers and extending Tee Higgins. 

Agreed here.  If we can use that space on extensions (Tee or Joe), then by all means, cut Mix.  If we can do those things w/o cutting Mix, no need to cut him.  He's not a great back, but you know what you're getting.  Yes, he's wildly overpaid, but if it doesn't impact making the team better, keep him.  

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Cap space is always useful. It can be carried into the next year if not used this season. But we still need to sign a bunch of guys to get to 90 for training camp. There's no reason to wildly overpay Mixon for what lots of guys can deliver. 

This is another good point.  I'm not sure what those rollover rules are, but we know we will need the space eventually...but why not just cut him next year if you need the room next year?

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

Agreed here.  If we can use that space on extensions (Tee or Joe), then by all means, cut Mix.  If we can do those things w/o cutting Mix, no need to cut him.  He's not a great back, but you know what you're getting.  Yes, he's wildly overpaid, but if it doesn't impact making the team better, keep him.  

This is another good point.  I'm not sure what those rollover rules are, but we know we will need the space eventually...but why not just cut him next year if you need the room next year?

For rollover, it's simple. At the end of a season, NFL teams can carry their unused cap space into the following year. That has the effect of increasing their cap limit for the next season. The reason to cut Mixon this year is that it frees up about 7 mil in 2023 plus all of his cap number in 2024. If we pay him his large salary in 2023 and cut him next year then we'll have less cap space to use for other players. 

23 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Money aside he doesn't look like a very good RB.  I'd still be after an upgrade if he was making league average, and I really don't think that'd be hard to find.  IDK if he's out of gas, mad he doesn't get 25+ carries a game, or is just too busy prepping for a zombie apocalypse but he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table other than familiarity. 

I know.

:2dedhorse:

but I just don't get the team's attachment to this guy

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Money aside he doesn't look like a very good RB.  I'd still be after an upgrade if he was making league average, and I really don't think that'd be hard to find.  IDK if he's out of gas, mad he doesn't get 25+ carries a game, or is just too busy prepping for a zombie apocalypse but he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table other than familiarity. 

I know.

:2dedhorse:

but I just don't get the team's attachment to this guy

I think he’s always had a good attitude a really a team guy.  From running down to celebrate AJ’s game winning catch in ATL, to being voted a captain.  Now, is that worth $12M for a RB…probably not?   I do think his energy is contagious.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t cut him, but I don’t want to cut him just for the sake of it…the money saved needs to be used wisely (extensions, other signings, etc.)  

I doubt everyone would be clamoring to cut Mixon if he made less money (like 50% less).  There’s no debate his contract is not commensurate with his current level of play.  He’s coming off a down season and we all know he’s a liability in pass protection.  To make it even worse, he’s made negative headlines off the field.  All of that said, he’s only going to be 27 in July and he’s a team captain for a reason (teammates and coaches love him).  His performance in 2021 was worth it (1200 rush yards, 42 catches, 16 total touchdowns).  There’s also the small problem of replacing Perrine.  I’m not sure how much sense it makes to cut your starter when you already don’t have a #2.  Ideally, I think it makes more sense to re-work his deal and keep him, but the Bengals don’t typically do that.  The more likely scenario would be to keep him until after the draft and see what happens.  If you can draft a legit replacement, then you have options and Mixon might be willing to negotiate.  Otherwise, he’s probably not going to be here next year.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I doubt everyone would be clamoring to cut Mixon if he made less money (like 50% less).  There’s no debate his contract is not commensurate with his current level of play.  He’s coming off a down season and we all know he’s a liability in pass protection.  To make it even worse, he’s made negative headlines off the field.  All of that said, he’s only going to be 27 in July and he’s a team captain for a reason (teammates and coaches love him).  His performance in 2021 was worth it (1200 rush yards, 42 catches, 16 total touchdowns).  There’s also the small problem of replacing Perrine.  I’m not sure how much sense it makes to cut your starter when you already don’t have a #2.  Ideally, I think it makes more sense to re-work his deal and keep him, but the Bengals don’t typically do that.  The more likely scenario would be to keep him until after the draft and see what happens.  If you can draft a legit replacement, then you have options and Mixon might be willing to negotiate.  Otherwise, he’s probably not going to be here next year.  

That 12 mill looms large..

With cuts coming up they may find his replacement that blocks and cheaper.

Mixon could wind up outside like Elliot if he wont take a huge cut..

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The team captain, locker room guy thing definitely carries some weight. Maybe not $13M weight, but fair point. 

2 RB draft prospects that I wasn't on at all but could be options

1. Chris Rodriguez from Kentucky-He is a 2 time captain (we love that) and was coached by Liam Coen in 2021 who was on staff with Taylor in LA

2. Deneric Prince from Tulsa-He was coached by our RBs coach his first year in Tulsa

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Kentucky, Rodriguez was the lead back in former offensive coordinator Rich Scarangello’s pro-style scheme. Over the last two
seasons, he averaged 108.7 rushing yards per game and finished his career No. 3 on the school’s all-time rushing list with 3,644 rushing yards (also set the school
record with 20 career 100-yard rushing games). Though he gets himself in trouble when he tries to go east-west, Rodriguez does a great job keeping his momentum
north-south to consistently drag defenders and fall forward for extra yards. He runs like a locomotive off the tracks but has trouble gearing back up after slowing his
feet, and he lacks breakaway speed (only 15 of his 400 carries the past two seasons went for 20-plus yards). Overall, Rodriguez is a role-specific runner and unproven
as a blocker/pass-catcher, but he is a bruising ball carrier with outstanding vision and toughness. He projects as a change-of-pace power back who gets better as
the game goes on.
GRADE: 5th Round

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Tulsa, Prince was a committee back in former head coach Philip Montgomery’s up-tempo, spread attack. He was a feast-or-famine
performer as a senior: Hhe was one of only five FBS players with multiple 200-yard rushing games (220 yards and 231 yards) but averaged only 46.3 yards in the other
six games in 2022. Prince is inconsistent in space to press and set up his blocks, but he accelerates well to be an inside banger and break tackles. His struggles in pass
protection, and unproven qualities as a pass catcher hurt his chances to see the field early in the NFL. Overall, Prince turned heads with his impressive athletic
profile at the combine, especially for his size, but he must develop a better feel for tempo to unleash his speed and burst. He has rosterable talent for an NFL team
willing to bet on his development potential.
GRADE: 5th-6th Round

4 hours ago, Jason said:

If Wright isn’t there I’m really warming to the idea of Gibbs at 28. 

no offense, but that would be the worst pick ever. Alabama RB's are notoriously overhyped because they play with so much talent and they get beat up in practice so when they come into the NFL they are injury prone. Outside of Derrick Henry, I can't think of the last Alabama RB that was worth a first-round pick. Besides Gibbs is tiny, 5'8" 200 lbs, and isn't known for his blitz pickup. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahmyr-gibbs/32004749-4219-8578-ca06-2b870fe6f731. Sure he's fast but so is Chris Evans and he much bigger. 

OT, TE, or CB in the first round round. I would rather we get a WR or DE/DT before we get a RB. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I am too.  I don't love it because of the positional value, but as far as impact players...I think he unlocks this offense by getting teams out of 2 high all the time.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

1. I'm 100% sure Wright will be gone before pick 28. So he's not even an option. 

2. Gibbs also is basically a WR on the field, making the Bengals very dangerous in 11 personnel (with 5 potential catchers on the field). 

My thoughts for this draft in particular are different from previous drafts. This may be the best chance the Bengals ever have at a championship. So I want at least the first few rounds to be focused on guys that can make an impact right now. I think Gibbs is one of those guys. He certainly adds explosion. 

Archived