Keeping our enemies close: 2023

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Sure but when you miss again and again that should be a fireable offense

I mean where are all the misses by this staff besides Carman? 

Volson was a 4th round pick thrown into a starting role from day one. Right now he’s playing really good football. That’s not a miss. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I mean where are all the misses by this staff besides Carman? 

Volson was a 4th round pick thrown into a starting role from day one. Right now he’s playing really good football. That’s not a miss. 

Well they had to replace their left tackle and move him to right, and he's been ok but not great, Carman is a big miss, Volson only now is playing good (i don't know about really good) football, and again that in what 2 games?

Joe is one of the top sacked QBs in the league, the running game this year (sans these past 2 games) has been at or near the bottom of the league.

Now I have made the argument and will continue to make the argument, that not playing under center has been a problem with this. But that isn't just coaching, it's the inability to find guys that can fit the system that you want to run. Right now they are a decent to ok line when your QB is under center, they are a really really bad Oline when your QB wants to play shotgun and run empty sets. That is a disconnect between the coaches and scouts on finding the kind of linmen you need to run the system you want to run. 

I'll ask it this way. Who was the last good, not average, not good for the round he was taken, Olinemen you think we drafted? 

Put even another way, the oline just snapped a 49-game streak in which they gave up at least one sack, had they gotten to 50 they would have broken a franchise record...... in a franchise that has had some extremely bad teams, that's not good.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Which kind of reinforces my point about our evaluation process, because he has been nothing but good in Cleveland. Maybe coaching is a part, but I really think this is a larger issue with the scouting department for the Oline, as these kinds of issues with finding good talent has been a problem even before Pollack got here. And yes, i get that is an issue across the league, but there are teams in this league that have good Olines.

I don't think they really have anything worth calling a scouting department. It's basically Tobin, the coaches, and the extended Brown/Blackburn family tree last time I looked at their org chart.

Just saying there's probably a correlation between having the smallest scouting "department" in the NFL and drafting shitty OL or guys like John Ross.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T-Dub said:

I don't think they really have anything worth calling a scouting department. It's basically Tobin, the coaches, and the extended Brown/Blackburn family tree last time I looked at their org chart.

Just saying there's probably a correlation between having the smallest scouting "department" in the NFL and drafting shitty OL or guys like John Ross.

They have scouts, it may be the smallest scouting department in the league, and we may not know who alot of them are, and some are indeed the coaches too, (though I suspect that's more of a scouts giving the coaches guys they have scouted type of thing) but they do have scouts.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Well they had to replace their left tackle and move him to right, and he's been ok but not great, Carman is a big miss, Volson only now is playing good (i don't know about really good) football, and again that in what 2 games?

Joe is one of the top sacked QBs in the league, the running game this year (sans these past 2 games) has been at or near the bottom of the league.

Now I have made the argument and will continue to make the argument, that not playing under center has been a problem with this. But that isn't just coaching, it's the inability to find guys that can fit the system that you want to run. Right now they are a decent to ok line when your QB is under center, they are a really really bad Oline when your QB wants to play shotgun and run empty sets. That is a disconnect between the coaches and scouts on finding the kind of linmen you need to run the system you want to run. 

I'll ask it this way. Who was the last good, not average, not good for the round he was taken, Olinemen you think we drafted? 

Put even another way, the oline just snapped a 49-game streak in which they gave up at least one sack, had they gotten to 50 they would have broken a franchise record...... in a franchise that has had some extremely bad teams, that's not good.

Probably Zeitler, a decade ago. 

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's the mystery of it. With a lack of scouts, you'd think they would stick to the Power 5 conferences and miss out on small school prospects. But Jones was on national tv every week of his final college season.  Two of his O-line teammates were also drafted, one in the top 10.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Probably Zeitler, a decade ago. 

Yup. Zeitler. 

We are in the same division as the Ravens who have the most sacks in the league, and Myles Garret and TJ Watt. 

That's 6 games facing the top guys or top team when it comes to getting to the QB. 

That means you have to have good Olinemen. 

Now that Joe has been paid, that means going forward we are going to have to draft good Olinemen.

We don't do that, or haven't done it in a decade.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

If he was such a high level player why did every single team in the league pass on him until the 111th pick? 

No, I think the problem with Jones was…he had major red flags coming out causing a number of teams to take him completely off of their board with the Bengals being one of them. 

8 or 9 times out of 10 the red flag guys keep those flags and flame out. So all teams were correct in assessing Jones based on known issues. He seems to have overcome them , for now, but it is pretty rare that a drafted player in this situation does so. 

• Upvote 1

Pardon the interruption, but the TNF game tonight features two moribund teams in 2023 the Bengals need to secure a surprise or two down the stretch against the main playoff rivals—DEN in particular. 

So far, LVR is leading SD 14-0, behind some guy named Aidan O’Connell. The alleged QB for SD—Easton Stick—is rather unremarkable. 

Now 21-0 Raiders

1 minute ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Now 49 - 0

Only 4:16 into the half.  LVR are scoring 1.43 points per minute and are on pace for 86.  They won't get there, of course, as LAC are a division rival and it'll motivate them for years.  You just want to crush a team's spirit, not make it harder to play them later, so Miami's 70-0 beat down over Denver is probably safe.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Who exactly do they fire?

Exactly, one of the owners of the team is charge of scouting/personnel so he's not going to fire himself.

13 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Who is in charge of scouting oline?

They don't break it down by position group, the scouting is done regionally. They have input from the coaches on what type of guy they like, but there's no o-line specific scout. I think it's more of a development issue and that is an NFL/football problem not just the Bengals, there's like 5 teams that have what many consider to be a good offensive line, and the rest of the teams are struggling to figure it out. 

The biggest problem is the level of coaching that exists in the high school and college ranks don't properly prepare guys for the NFL game. When you have hacks like Jim Turner teaching young guys how to play offensive line then it's no wonder why many of the offensive line players come into the NFL not prepared to play at a high level. If teams paid offensive line coaches higher salaries, promoted offensive line coaches to HC positions, etc...then you would see the quality of the players evolve. Being an offensive line coach is typically a dead-end job, there like 1 or 2 guys who have been offensive line coaches and ascended to be an HC so if you are a talented coach why would you want to be an offensive line coach unless you just really love it and don't have aspirations of being a HC. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Their last 3 games are the Chiefs, Colts, and Broncos.

Not sure they keep doing that.

The Bengals' interest is that they can be even similar the last two games against the I-Colts (in the Lucas Oil Shopping Mall) and at home against DEN. 

The QB Known As Aidan O'Connell was 20-34 248 4TD's last night. Who knows, with even a somewhat inspired LVR defense, they can pull off a surprise against one or both? 

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Pardon the interruption, but the TNF game tonight features two moribund teams in 2023 the Bengals need to secure a surprise or two down the stretch against the main playoff rivals—DEN in particular. 

So far, LVR is leading SD 14-0, behind some guy named Aidan O’Connell. The alleged QB for SD—Easton Stick—is rather unremarkable. 

Now 21-0 Raiders

Aidan O'Connell was on the same HS team as Charlie Jones. Jones ended up at Purdue for his last season, and O'Connell was already the starting QB there. He's actually a solid backup IMO. Has played pretty well overall for LV. 

• Upvote 2