WEEK 1: @ BROWNS (GameDey thread)

There's 2 schools of thought ... Baltimore and Cincy are the 2 extremes of playing in the preseason

Cincy stunk today and lost, but have an intact team. 

Baltimore on the other hand was sharp from playing in August, and got the win, but their team is now a Mash unit ...

IMG_20230910_223410.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

Burrow may not even be 100% still. But the team probably felt pressured to play him after the big contract signing.

But my main fear I really had for today is his calf injury becoming a more serious injury on a cheap shot, and that was avoided. 

I agree with this. He wasn't ready I dont think and wasn't ready for slippery conditions with an unhealthy calf muscle. Its one of those injuries that you feel like you should be ready so you go out too early. 

I play old man beer league volleyball. Hurt my hand. Sat out for a month and came back too soon and it hurt every time I set. I often played one handed because I really wanted to play. Modified my play to avoid aggressive hand contact. Fine now. 

Joe Burrow just made 265 million dollars to play quarterback and was far more of a warrior than I will ever be. He was playing, and maybe lying about how badly it was hurting because it "shouldn't have hurt so badly at this point"

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I watched a different game. He looked terrible and looked terrible all last year. I think it's very likely he is bad and they paid him all that money and that's funny to me. 

Burrow played like utter dogshit. Baker Mayfield had a better game today.  I am not saying Watson is great but he easily outplayed Burrow today.  In my opinion it’s a one off but don’t pretend today didn’t happen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Observations...

- Jonah is hot garbage as the RT.  I noticed it in preseason (yeah, there was a reason he played in the preseason) and even in practice 11 v 11 highlights - he still gets beat by bull rushers like he's a child, even Hubbard made him look awful in those practice highlights.  I kept my mouth shut because hey, it's preseason!  Welp, everything I expected happened.

- I know the media, our fans, their fans, everyone is already acting like this is some "gasp" moment - guys, they've kicked our asses every year Zac has been here, this is straight up normal.  Zac does not have a sound game plan for them, we relied on Watson being trash last year and that's frankly the only reason we stayed in this game so long.  The only thing we have to worry about (once again) is the OL being inconsistent... and perhaps another downpour, we are quite simply not built for games that call for a diverse run attack.

- DJ Turner looked really good - you had to actually pay attention on replays and so on because his man was almost always covered and thus not involved in the play.

- Wilson was strangely missing for most of the game IMO, maybe the Stains just had a good plan to remove him?

- As usual our defense has almost zero pass rush ability outside of Hendrickson.  We've been through it for years now but it's always disappointing.

- It seemed like Murphy didn't get in until garbage time... ?

- As people said in this thread - and it should be no surprise - Joe was out of sync.  We've been through that every year too in these early games.

- I don't know about anybody else but it annoyed me that they gave up.  I'm sure the calculation was "let's get out of here with no injuries", but jeezus H they were down 13 points with like 9 minutes left and they went for it on 4th and 4 and got embarrassed.  Sometimes Zac has to just take his emotions out of it and play normal football.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

50% of the league will be 0-1 after this weekend. 

In a season of attrition—which all NFL seasons are—look for losses where your prime rivals to the top might be. 

Small bright lights: but KC did lose, and TN did also. 

LAC is winning…as did the Jags. Will have one of BUF/NYJ lose tomorrow. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Burrow was hot garbage today. May have been the worst QB performance of the weekend. Atrocious. He should donate his game check to a charity. I love the guy. My favourite Bengal ever after only a few years but today was awful.

Primetime Dalton-esque feel to it...seemed like he just gave up

12 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

It matters because the Ravens are typically the Bengals biggest threat to win the division. And they may have lost like 3-4 starters today to injury. Their win was very costly. 

we have won like 1 of like the last 7 games against the clowns...... I would say they are a threat.... today was pathetic.  d