Bengals stock up, stock down heading into Week 6

Chris Roling
Tue, Oct 10, 2023, 8:29 AM CDT·3 min read

3667773c8b96e22729138e18acac0fe1

Collectively, it feels like the stock of the Cincinnati Bengals is on a massive upswing.

No wonder, coming out of that huge win over the Arizona Cardinals on the road where Joe Burrow seemed to return to form. Bonus points that the Bengals made some serious headway in the AFC North standings too because of a notable upset elsewhere in the division.

But what about individual players? Which guys have stock rising one way or another and in the case of those taking a nosedive, what should the team do about it?

Here’s a Bengals stock report heading into Week 6.

Stock up: QB Joe Burrow

Syndication: Arizona Republic

Syndication: Arizona Republic

Burrow seemed both more mobile and simply more confident than we’ve seen him to date in Arizona, going 36-of-46 for 317 yards and three touchdowns. The numbers are nice, but it was the sudden movement in the pocket again and play-extending ability that really sold the idea Burrow’s on the other side of this calf injury and nearly back to his usual self.

Stock down: Interior OL

Syndication: The Enquirer

It’s not great. Cordell Volson, rather than taking a nice uptick in performance with Orlando Brown Jr. next to him, has instead gone in the other direction. And center Ted Karras is having some problems, too. Before Week 5, even Alex Cappa was having issues. But the team doesn’t have a lot of options here, barring a shocker like putting Cody Ford over Volson. It simply has to wait, adjust and hope the pricey line can get it together.

Stock up: DBs DJ Turner and Jordan Battle

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Second-round rookie DJ Turner got thrown to the wolves against the Cardinals, starting in place of Chidobe Awuzie. And while it wasn’t perfect, he had some nice coverage reps and had a few highlight-worthy plays as a run defender. Fellow rookie Jordan Battle saw more snaps than usual in place of veteran Nick Scott and also had a nice day, suggesting we could see more of him as the season continues.

Stock down: RBs not named Joe Mixon

Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

Joe Mixon has looked fine as the starter but the depth chart behind him is a mess. Fans will point to Burrow screaming at Trayveon Williams after a critical mistake in Arizona, but it’s not like the rookie Chase Brown or even Chris Evans have made any headway. Brown looked slow in open space on one notable rep and Evans still, for whatever reason, can’t break through — the team might want to consider making a move.

Stock up: Ja'Marr Chase

How can a top-three wideout raise his stock? Just look at the above. No really, it’s a stunner.

Stock down: Lou Anarumo

This is a little indirect, but Lou Anarumo’s unit has had a brutal time with missed tackles and communication. So are the growing pains that come with losing two key starters at safety and having younger guys thrown into the mix once you add in injuries. The unit still came up with some big plays in Arizona, but it won’t get to bully around a backup quarterback every week, so the adjustments need to be swift or it will cost the team games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-stock-stock-down-heading-132951156.html

• Like 1

i was excited for this with the title, i was like oooo a new take on good/bad/ugly type thing..

but all of the stock downs are fucking retarded.

interior OL played pretty well and ratings went up after this week, and lets be honest, they had the hardest job with joe being stuck not running around, getting teed off on cause dfenses knew he wasnt mobile.

and williams stock is down? lol how could it get lower? he is an afterthought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

and williams stock is down? lol how could it get lower? he is an afterthought.

For all these years we're wondering why Williams never gets a chance?  Well, now we probably know why.  Can't play a guy you cannot count on.  Probably the same issue with Evans.  Time to  clean house at backup RB in the off season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

For all these years we're wondering why Williams never gets a chance?  Well, now we probably know why.  Can't play a guy you cannot count on.  Probably the same issue with Evans.  Time to  clean house at backup RB in the off season.

What about the here and now?

Just run Mixon 25 times a game til he can't anymore?

one of these backups have to contribute.

which one I'm clueless right now 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Forgive my ignorance but what was the play Williams made that made Joe so angry?,

2 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Late in the game, he missed a block on the left side that I believe led to a sack. 

It wasn't just that, Williams was supposed to take a handoff, Joe "can-can'ed" the original call to audible to the run.  Williams just turned the other way to block as Joe tried in vain to hand it to him.  What Joe was screaming and pantomiming in his direction after having to take the sack was "CAN CAN!!!!!".

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

It wasn't just that, Williams was supposed to take a handoff, Joe "can-can'ed" the original call to audible to the run.  Williams just turned the other way to block as Joe tried in vain to hand it to him.  What Joe was screaming and pantomiming in his direction after having to take the sack was "CAN CAN!!!!!".

That's what I thought, too.

Trevone missed the hand off and Joe was standing there with a live ball and nowhere to go.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Thanks for being more detailed.

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I missed it too so thanks for the breakdown but..

FFS. Enjoy the bench dude. Where's Brown? If we're going to run someone out there to screw up it may as well be the guy with some upside.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I missed it too so thanks for the breakdown but..

FFS. Enjoy the bench dude. Where's Brown? If we're going to run someone out there to screw up it may as well be the guy with some upside.

As much ballyhoo as young Mr. Brown received at the draft and in the off-season, the simple observation is that what his skills may have been against Indiana… they are not quite where the need to be against even Arizona. 

• Upvote 1

I know it's not important but I figured I'd go grab some screenshots of the missed audible on 3rd and 1 that got Joe raging at Williams.  FWIW Sanchez made a good point - it probably shouldn't have to have been an audible at all, at that point in the game they arguably should have been running it anyway.

Joe tries to hand it off to Willaims:

image.png.558b9983aec84522cfadefadd5189b68.png

Oopsies, Williams is oblivious 😑

image.png.1f56a9ca55f6d817f88d3c0e9ee80f09.png

Another angle of the attempted handoff:

image.png.cdf3e1db12565f151b16ae912268958a.png

Joe helpfully explaining what the can-can call and sign means to Williams:

image.thumb.png.715b6b4dedd4fe9bda34e57df56307e7.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

As much ballyhoo as young Mr. Brown received at the draft and in the off-season, the simple observation is that what his skills may have been against Indiana… they are not quite where the need to be against even Arizona. 

Redshirting a midround pick is a bit of a letdown considering the RB competition here isn't that fierce. They made him sound like he could be stealing time from Mixon but he can't even get on the field on ST.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I know it's not important but I figured I'd go grab some screenshots of the missed audible on 3rd and 1 that got Joe raging at Williams.  FWIW Sanchez made a good point - it probably shouldn't have to have been an audible at all, at that point in the game they arguably should have been running it anyway.

Joe tries to hand it off to Willaims:

image.png.558b9983aec84522cfadefadd5189b68.png

Oopsies, Williams is oblivious 😑

image.png.1f56a9ca55f6d817f88d3c0e9ee80f09.png

Another angle of the attempted handoff:

image.png.cdf3e1db12565f151b16ae912268958a.png

Joe helpfully explaining what the can-can call and sign means to Williams:

image.thumb.png.715b6b4dedd4fe9bda34e57df56307e7.png

I remember watching that play and thinking it was the most animated I've seen Joe (in an angry way anyways). Dude is locked in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, bad play by Williams - but there aren’t other guys that blow assignments in a game? Given that it was the QB/RB exchange, it was obvious. But OL miss blocks, receivers run the wrong routes, TEs get blasted in pass pro… isht happens. 

Personally, I don’t see why you’d demote him if it was a one-time deal. He’s a good runner, solid in pass pro, and he has improved as a receiver. None of us are at practice, in meetings, etc., and you gotta figure if Tray’veon is still out there, he’s the best solution on the roster to be Mixon’s backup. It’s not like Evans hasn’t had chances… they’ve both been on the team for a few years, and Evans hasn’t gotten his job back. And while I have hopes for Chase Brown, he hasn’t shown anything yet. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hrs getting the job done.

Keep it up..

So far - and  it’s faint praise - Jonah has been their best OL. The three interior holdovers all look worse than last year, and Orlando has looked ok but he’s struggled some too. Certainly nothing to write home about.