Brian Kelly for Head Coach

I would be down for either of those two cats.  I'm not sure Bill would come here, but I could see BK possibly dipping his toes into the NFL.  He certainly has some passion.  Takes no shit.  

Unfortunately, I think the best one for this team took over Minnesota this year...

I will always appreciate what Marvin Lewis has done for this franchise. However, his time here should be done. He's built two separate very good teams during his time in Cincinnati, but it looks like his ceiling as a head coach is somewhere between Jim Mora and Jeff Fisher.

I've never said this before... It's time for Marvin Lewis to go.

The players are complacent, and there are a handful of assistants that should have been gone years ago. (Jonathan Hayes, can you hear me?)

My biggest question is "Who's next?".

I've always wondered how Brian Kelly's shtick would translate to the NFL. He's a great offensive mind, mind but he's a got an awful lot of "used car salesman" in him.

Kevin Sumlin is a rising star.

Or do they go with a retread? Brian Billick? Gary Kubiak?

I don't know. What I do know is that this team has been LOADED for two and a half years and can't get over the hump. ANY new face is going to bring a different energy. And sometimes that's all it takes to get an organization refocused.

I will always appreciate what Marvin Lewis has done for this franchise. However, his time here should be done. He's built two separate very good teams during his time in Cincinnati, but it looks like his ceiling as a head coach is somewhere between Jim Mora and Jeff Fisher.

The players are complacent, and there are a handful of assistants that should have been gone years ago. (Jonathan Hayes, can you hear me?)

My biggest question is "Who's next?".

I've always wondered how Brian Kelly's shtick would translate to the NFL. He's a great offensive mind, mind but he's a got an awful lot of "used car salesman" in him.

Kevin Sumlin is a rising star.

Or do they go with a retread? Brian Billick? Gary Kubiak?

I don't know. What I do know is that this team has been LOADED for two and a half years and can't get over the hump. ANY new face is going to bring a different energy. And sometimes that's all it takes to get an organization refocused.

Nice post. I agree.

He was acting.

??

Bill Cowher

You ramp up rivalry in our division. Instant season ticket sales. Media darlings.

I hate that cock sucker... but hell yea..

Marvin has done a great job of turning around this franchise. It's time to pass the baton before it can become the Siberia of the NFL again.

yes

You were able to articulate my thoughts quite accurately, thank you.

I'm not the bashing type -- that goes for Dalton and Marvin Lewis. But I am a long-time die-hard fan who has celebrated two Super Bowl appearances and suffered through The Dark Era. I've invested enough heart and time into this team to recognize when change seems to be the best strategy, and right now that is what I see. I, too, appreciate how Marvin was instrumental in the transition from The Dark Era to a (usually) contender, but there does appear to be something holding this team back from surpassing "Contender."

To achieve another legitimate shot at an NFL Championship, I feel this team needs a leader who is not only sideline savvy on game day, but also able to motivate. There is so much emotion in this game, and for years we've seen Marvin patrol the sidelines with a Clark Kent temperament. I don't dislike Marvin for that. I also don't really care for some of the personalities we see on other NFL sidelines. But Clark Kent hasn't been able to take the Bengals deep into the playoffs. We need Superman.

Or Lex Luthor.

At this point, I'm hopeful the Bengals will try one or the other. Bill Cowher = Lex Luthor, and I'm okay with that. At least give it a shot. I'm not sure we can find Superman. I guess that would be the head coach equivalent of drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round because if Superman is out there, he'd be on the sidelines somewhere already.

Marvin deserves our appreciation, and perhaps there is still a place for him in the Bengals' organization. But as far as the position of Head Coach is concerned, I'll use Marvin's own famous words to describe the State of the Bengals: I see better than I hear. What I saw Thursday was not just a step backward, it was an unpleasant visit back to The Dark Era in Stewie Griffin's time machine.

Archived