Dusty Baker Hired To A 3 Year Deal!

mroby85

Wow, that`s horrible. I hope he proves me wrong,
but I don`t like the hiring at all right now . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Baker, Reds agree to three-year deal[/b][/size]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 13, 2007, 11:11 PM ET

Dusty Baker has agreed to a three-year deal to manage the Cincinnati Reds, beginning with the upcoming season, ESPN has learned.

Baker, a former Cubs and Giants manager and current ESPN analyst, will continue to work with ESPN through this season's League Championship Series and World Series.

Baker is expected to be introduced at a news conference in Cincinnati on Monday.

The 58-year-old Baker was fired by the Cubs after they finished last in 2006. Lou Piniella replaced him and led the Cubs to the division title this season. Chicago was swept in its first-round playoff series against Arizona.

Baker managed the Giants for 10 years, leading them to the World Series in 2002. He left San Francisco after a falling out with ownership and went to the Cubs, leading them to the NL championship series in his first season.

Chicago had another winning record in 2004, its first back-to-back winning seasons in more than three decades. But the team unraveled in his last two years, and the Cubs didn't renew his contract after an NL-worst record of 66-96 in 2006.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3062658"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3062658[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='568220' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:26 PM']woohoo? This does nothing to excite me. Has Dusty ever even had a winning season or a team that overachieved?[/quote]

Yes he's had a winning season - he took two different teams to the NLCS in consecutive years. Has he ever coached a team to overachieve? That's a different question, and he probably hasn't.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Hell yeah, take that you racists.[/b][/color]

:lol:

:bek081:

[quote name='sneaky' post='568230' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:34 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Hell yeah, take that you racists.[/b][/color]

:bek081:[/quote]

i like it too. :bek081:

Baker actually has won manager of the year 3 times. including a trip to the world series with the Giants. He took the Cubs to the NLCS, and what wouldve been another world series without bartman, lol. To answer your question though, the guy has some accomplishments, I wouldn't call him a farse of a signing.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Come on people, I dont follow the Reds much but I knew it was unrealistic
to expect somebody like a Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre or even a Joe Girardi.

This is the "biggest name" the Reds could have gotten to come here.

And when you really think about it, does it really matter who the manager is?

The Reds' farm system sucks, the GM sucks and the team will never have the
payroll to compete with the "big boys".

Expect the worst and hope for the best.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='568241' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:44 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Come on people, I dont follow the Reds much but I knew it was unrealistic

Expect the worst and hope for the best.[/b][/color][/quote]

hate to agree but it's the Troof <_<

[quote name='sneaky' post='568241' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:44 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Come on people, I dont follow the Reds much but I knew it was unrealistic

Reds farm system actually has really improved. We have good talent at low and high levels and Jay Bruce was just named the 2007 Minor League Player of the Year. We're rebuilding it as much as we can and I would have thought this managerial opening would have been more attractive to other candidates.

GM sucks? Brandon Phillips. Josh Hamilton. Those two moves alone were simply unbelievable bargains.

And don't bring up the Kearns/Lopez/Wagner deal - Garbage in, garbage out.

well i dont like the signing because now i expect homer bailey to go the mark prior/kerry wood way [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img]

hopefully he proves me wrong. i think he COULD only because this team has a lot of young talent, but i dont see the team going anywhere because of certain people.

this post couldnt be more wrong.

[quote][size=3][b]Reds hire Baker as manager[/b]
Ex-Giant, Cub skipper gets three-year deal[/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Dusty Baker and the Reds agreed to a three-year contract late Saturday night.

The formal announcement is expected to come Monday.

ESPN said Baker would continue his analyst duties with the network through the end of the World Series.

Baker and interim manager Pete Mackanin were the only two known candidates.

Baker is a three-time National League manager of the year (1993, '97, 2000). He is currently working as an analyst for ESPN.

Baker, 58, took the Giants to the World Series in 2002. The Giants finished first twice and second five times in his 10 years there.

His teams won at least 90 games six times in his eight full seasons as Giants manager.

He took over the Cubs after leaving San Francisco. He finished first, third, fourth and sixth in his four years in Chicago.

The Cubs came within five outs of making the World Series in 2003 - Baker's first year.

He was fired after the Cubs went 66-96 in 2006.

His overall record as a manager is 1,162-1,041.

Baker's given name is Johnnie B. Baker Jr.

Born in Riverside, Calif., he was selected by the Atlanta Braves in the 26th round of the 1967 draft.

He made his first appearance in the majors the following year. He was in the majors full time beginning in 1972, when he hit .321 with 17 home runs and 76 RBI.

Baker went on to play 19 seasons. He had stints with the Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's.

He hit .278 with 242 home runs and 1,013 RBIs in his career.

He retired after the 1986 season.

Following his retirement, he spent five years as a coach on San Francisco manager Roger Craig's staff.

Former Red Rich Aurilia played the majority of his career for Baker in San Francisco.

"Anybody who gets him is lucky," Aurilia said.

Baker has the label of a player's manager. But it goes beyond that.

"Having Dusty is like having another player," Aurilia said. "He'd go out and play if he could. He's great to play for. He's a player's guy."

"As long as you play hard and show up on time, you're all right with Dusty. His thing is: Play hard, play the right way."

Aurilia said Baker's attention to players goes beyond the field.

"He has that personal touch," Aurilia said. "He gets to know the players off the field."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/SPT04/710140429"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Only time will tell if Baker's right choice[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Imagine if 37 years ago, the fact that general manager Bob Howsam was zeroing in on George "Sparky" Anderson as the club's new manager had gotten out.

Fans would have gone nuts. They would have filled up Internet message boards and talk radio with harangues against the hire. If there had been an Internet and talk radio, of course.

There wasn't in those days, so Anderson's hire wasn't roundly ripped until it actually happened.

We all know how that turned out.

Now, it's semi-official that Dusty Baker is going to be the Reds' next manager. An official announcement is expected Monday.

And we'll see how that turns out.

When Baker's name got out, people were tripping all over themselves to say he was not the guy.

I'm not going to endorse anyone's candidacy. But I'll say this: Baker's overall record is very good.

He managed 14 years in the National League. Ten of those 14 years, his team had a better record than the Reds. His teams won 88 games or more in eight of his 12 non-strike seasons.

Does that mean he's the perfect candidate?

No.

The questions about how he handled Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are legitimate.

You would hope Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky got Baker's explanation on that topic.

But the bottom line is we won't know if Baker is the right guy until he's on the job, managing games.

If he wins, he's the right choice. If he doesn't, he's the wrong choice.

My blog has been full of suggestions on whom the Reds should hire. People want Joe Girardi. People want Bob Brenly. People want Kirk Gibson. People want Joe Torre. People want Tony La Russa. People want Pete Mackanin.

The Reds are sensitive to what the fans want. But they decided they wanted Baker.

They looked at Girardi. But all those things that got him fired in Florida kept it from going further.

Brenly was interested. But things never got far for some reason. Torre and La Russa are still employed by other clubs.

Gibson, the bench coach for Arizona, and others might have been on the list.

But CEO Castellini and Krivsky chose Baker.

The Reds said as little as possible on this.

Other than denying a report that he had offered former Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty a job, Castellini has said nothing for nearly two weeks.

Ultimately, the decision came down to whom Castellini wanted. Krivsky might have made a recommendation.

But Castellini had the final say, particularly since the Reds are likely to give Baker a three-year deal and Krivsky has only a year remaining on his contract.

Did the club make the right choice? We'll know only in retrospect.

I was in college during Sparky's great years.

I knew so much more then.

I was convinced anyone could win with the talent he had.

When the Reds fired him after a 92-win season in 1978, I thought the Big Red Machine would roll on.

It didn't quite happen that way. In the 29 seasons since Anderson was fired, the Reds have gotten to 92 wins once.

So Sparky was a pretty good choice in 1970.

Will Baker be the right choice in 2007? We'll know in 2010 or so.

But in the meantime, feel free to e-mail me and make your feeling known on what your choice would have been.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/SPT04/710140432/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote name='Jason' post='568363' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:29 AM'][size=5][b]What were they thinking?????[/b][/size][/quote]

Jason,

I'm not sure they were. Two things frighten me most, Baker's destoying of young arms and his pitcher's arms in general. How he deal's with Jr, does he embrace/coddle him or does he demand 100% effort from Jr, 100% of the time. He's known for filling his roster w/ over the hill "talent" who often play over younger players.

I was so hoping to see Jay Bruce in GABP in '08. Probably not.

[quote name='Storm' post='568377' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:06 AM']Hopefully they give him some players to work with, changing the manager alone doesn't address the real problems[/quote]

Exactly.

Connie Mack couldn't win if you saddled him with the Special Olympics' bullpen...

Archived