Condolences to oldschooler

BengalBacker

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='630334' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:10 PM']I hope you're ok with me making a thread about this oldschooler. If not, let me know and I'll delete it.

Oldschooler's only sibling, his 42 year old brother passed away unexpectedly last night.

I'm sure I'm not alone in offering my deepest sympathies. I don't have any magic words, but know that you have Bengal brothers and sisters here who hurt for you and with you. Stay strong my friend.[/quote]

Relative newbee on this board but still my thoughts and prayers go out to Oldschooler and his family.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='632687' date='Feb 16 2008, 12:27 AM']has anyone seen or heard of Old ? just starting to get worried about one of our brothers![/quote]

I haven't heard from him since he pm'd me on the 5th. I assume he's still wherever his brother had lived. Might be the same place where the rest of his family is, maybe he's helping/spending time with relatives, that sort of thing. I really don't know though.

Several people wanted to send flowers, but we didn't know where to send them.

The board isn't the same without him. I'm confident that he's ok, but if he doesn't check in soon I'll start to get a little concerned. I'm sure that under the circumstances, this board isn't very high on his priority list right now.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='632699' date='Feb 16 2008, 01:18 AM']I haven't heard from him since he pm'd me on the 5th. I assume he's still wherever his brother had lived. Might be the same place where the rest of his family is, maybe he's helping/spending time with relatives, that sort of thing. I really don't know though.

Several people wanted to send flowers, but we didn't know where to send them.

The board isn't the same without him. I'm confident that he's ok, but if he doesn't check in soon I'll start to get a little concerned. I'm sure that under the circumstances, this board isn't very high on his priority list right now.[/quote]
Exactly. This has to be an incredibly difficult time for him and his family. He's missed, but Old will be back when he's ready, I'm sure.

I'm really feeling for you, Old. It's like getting a punch in the gut when that phone call comes, especially when it's out of the blue. In times like these, when sadness draws families closer together, your collective strength will pull you through. It's been about 6 1/2 years since my older brother went, also unexpectedly. There are times when I dream about him. At first, it used to make me very sad when I woke up, realizing that he's no longer there. But now, I find myself glad when I dream about him--it's sort of like keeping a flame alive.

Hang tough, give praise, and spread the love.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='632734' date='Feb 16 2008, 11:18 AM']I'm really feeling for you, Old. It's like getting a punch in the gut when that phone call comes, especially when it's out of the blue. In times like these, when sadness draws families closer together, your collective strength will pull you through. It's been about 6 1/2 years since my older brother went, also unexpectedly. There are times when I dream about him. At first, it used to make me very sad when I woke up, realizing that he's no longer there. But now, I find myself glad when I dream about him--it's sort of like keeping a flame alive.

Hang tough, give praise, and spread the love.[/quote]

couldn't possibly be said any better.

Thank you everyone.

I just got back. I left for Ohio on the 6th, had a lot of trouble making it down there because of snow.
Flights cancelled, delayed, layovers at airports ect.
I was supposed to came back last week, but I wanted/had to stay a few days longer. And then my flight was
cancelled yesterday because of snow. I came back, and there is snow up to the mailboxes here. I hate this place.

I really wish I could have met some of you while I was down there. I was, and am still overwhelmed
by it all. It still doesn't seem real. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I saw friends and family
I hadn't seen in over 10 years. I had to make all the funeral arrangements and stuff. I had never done
anything like that before, and hope I never have to do it again.

My Brother has an 18 year old daughter, and a 7 year old daughter. They need your thoughts and prayers more
than I do. So please think of them.

My Brother was having chest pains for years. But he went to 4 different Doctors. And they couldn't
find anything wrong. Obviously they missed something.

My plans are now to move back to Ohio as soon as the twins get out of school in June. That place is home.
And I need to get back there. I've been away far too long. Hope to meet as many of you great people
as I can then.

If there is a Heaven, I have no doubt that my Brother is there. He loved life. He never wanted to do
anything but laugh. He was like a big kid with a heart of gold. I would think that if there is a Heaven,
that it is full of souls like his.

I already missed you Brother. It makes me so sad that I won't be able to talk to you anymore.
And hear your laugh. You were truly loved bye me. And a piece of me died with you. My World will never be the same.

Thanks again everyone. It really means a lot to me . . .

Well said Old, well said. I haven't experienced anything other than grandparents or friend's deaths (and a couple military ones), but losing a close relative is not something I'm looking forward to nor envy you for having gone through yourself.

So was your brother married? What are the immediate plans for his children, etc?

I would understand if you don't really feel like talking about it, but if you do, sometimes it helps to get it off your chest. Or you could PM me if you'd prefer. I'm great at giving out advice and comforting words, just not so good at following my own advice...

:)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='633336' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:24 PM']Thank you everyone.

I just got back. I left for Ohio on the 6th, had a lot of trouble making it down there because of snow.
I was supposed to came back last week, but I wanted/had to stay a few days longer. And then my flight was
cancelled yesterday because of snow. I came back, and there is snow up to the mailboxes here. I hate this place.

I really wish I could have met some of you while I was down there. I was, and am still overwhelmed
by it all. It still doesn't seem real. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I saw friends and family
I hadn't seen in over 10 years. I had to make all the funeral arrangements and stuff. I had never done

My Brother has an 18 year old daughter, and a 7 year old daughter. They need your thoughts and prayers more

My Brother was having chest pains for years. But he went to 4 different Doctors. And they couldn't

My plans are now to move back to Ohio as soon as the twins get out of school in June. That place is home.
And I need to get back there. I've been away far too long. Hope to meet as many of you great people
as I can then.

If there is a Heaven, I have no doubt that my Brother is there. He loved life. He never wanted to do
anything but laugh. He was like a big kid with a heart of gold. I would think that if there is a Heaven,

I already missed you Brother. It makes me so sad that I won't be able to talk to you anymore.
And hear your laugh. You were truly loved bye me. And a piece of me died with you. My World will never be the same.

Thanks again everyone. It really means a lot to me . . .[/quote]

If you're moving back to Ohio, you're going to a game with me.

Are your nieces going to be ok financially? Did he have insurance, do they still have their mom, a house, that sort of thing? Do we need to brainstorm on a way to raise some money for them? Maybe a raffle or something?

Tell me how I can help.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='633336' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:24 PM']Thank you everyone.

as I can then.

Thanks again everyone. It really means a lot to me . . .
[b][/quote]I am deeply sorry for your loss Old. The board is not quite the same without you. I always thought I knew a lot about the Bengals. Well I know absolutely nothing compared to you. I am sure your Brother is now in a lot better place. My prayers go out to you and your family. Be assured that God is watching over you, your Brother and your whole family. [/b]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='633434' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:43 AM']If you're moving back to Ohio, you're going to a game with me.

Are your nieces going to be ok financially? Did he have insurance, do they still have their mom, a house, that sort of thing? Do we need to brainstorm on a way to raise some money for them? Maybe a raffle or something?

Tell me how I can help.[/quote]

Oh, you know that we will be going to some games together. B)

My nieces are going to be fine. They have a lot of family there.
They have their Mom, house and all that. And I am going to be there too.

All you need to do is keep being my friend.

Thanks again everyone. It really means a lot to me.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='633537' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:44 AM']Oh, you know that we will be going to some games together. B)

My nieces are going to be fine. They have a lot of family there.
They have their Mom, house and all that. And I am going to be there too.

All you need to do is keep being my friend.

Thanks again everyone. It really means a lot to me.[/quote]

When you put the whole of the family together, the healing process is usually easier and quicker.
The pain get's easier to deal with, with time. Celebrate your brothers life and laugh like he wanted to, that would make him happy... and it would help to make you all happier too.
I wish all of God's blessings on you, your family, and Godspeed to your brother my friend.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, tragedy has struck oldschooler's family again.

His mother's fiancé died last night. He stopped to help some people who were in an accident, and had a heart attack. In three months, his mom has lost her sister, her son and her fiancé.

Please keep old and his family in your thoughts.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='641393' date='Mar 7 2008, 12:43 PM']Unfortunately, tragedy has struck oldschooler's family again.

His mother's fiancé died last night. He stopped to help some people who were in an accident, and had a heart attack. In three months, his mom has lost her sister, her son and her fiancé.

Please keep old and his family in your thoughts.[/quote]
Damn. Just...damn.
I want to believe that somehow, some way, Old (one of the biggest fans on here) will be cosmically rewarded for his recent trials and tribulations with a Bengals Super Bowl win this season.

Damn Old, I'm sorry man. There's really nothing that can be said. Hug your wife and kids a little tighter as often as you can. That's a lot of being reminded of your own mortality in such a short period of time.
Keep the faith brother.

Archived