Bengals softening stance on Palmer? Raiders pushing ‘hard’ for Palmer trade

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1318421063' post='1044121'][b]I'd trade Carson right now for a starting LG or LB Aaron Curry of Seattle (can never have enough good LBs)[/b]

[b]other than that, I'd take a 2nd and 4th rder in next years draft for him or let him stay retired. [/b][/quote]

That's about where I am on this, although I'm not up on Curry enough to know if I'd want him.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318378110' post='1043971']

No offense taken.

I don't write the articles and/or news, I just post them.
[/quote]

But until Carson is actually traded, do they even need to be posted anymore? Or at least can we have one thread just for Carson stuff?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1318421309' post='1044123']

But until Carson is actually traded, do they even need to be posted anymore? Or at least can we have one thread just for Carson stuff?
[/quote]

Sure they need to be posted. Just as much as anything else really.
The trade deadline is a week away. MB was asked about it. He didn't comment.
But that's actually a first as far as Carson goes. He didn't comment when asked
about Chad being traded. So maybe it's a sign? Regardless, it is Bengals news.

And I tried that. People made other threads though. And I was about to head out
the door when I posted this, and didn't have the time to search for another Carson thread.

Anyway, not trying to sound like an ass, but if you don't want to read about the topic or the posts
regarding the topic, just avoid the thread. What difference does it make if it was a new thread
or a old thread that was bumped?

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1318421063' post='1044121']
[b]I'd trade Carson right now for a starting LG or LB Aaron Curry of Seattle (can never have enough good LBs)[/b]

[b]other than that, I'd take a 2nd and 4th rder in next years draft for him or let him stay retired. [/b]
[/quote]

In my opinion, that might be the only team that would trade for Carson this season due to the division they play in(even though San Fran looks damn good right now) and the fact that Pete Carroll is the head coach. However, it still seems VERY unlikely. The best time to trade him now to get the best value out of him is before next season's draft. I know it sucks and everyone is tired of hearing about him and wants to move on, but we are just going to have to wait another 6 months i believe.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1318430827' post='1044188']
One thing they mentioned on Mike & mike this morning when descussing the possibility of Orton being traded, was his salary. If he is going to be traded, some team is going to have to be able to take on his salary. What teams could do that?
[/quote]

Carson will re-negotiate his contract if he really wants to play again. Money is obviously not an issue with him.

I really don't care if we trade him now or later just as long as we eventually trade him for something. I think he should have been traded before the season because his value will be less next offseason.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1318379243' post='1043975']
Possibly. I am in the "TRADE HIM NOW!" camp. His value isn't going to go up the longer his 30 year old ass sits out of football. I will say this again in all seriousness: why in the fuck can we not trade him straight up for a starting player rather than a draft pick? Lets get a top guard, or a starting safety or SOMETHING for him! What is the advantage for the team in not moving him? Can someone explain that to me?
[/quote]

I dont know about the trading him for a player, but I agree it's wishful thinking to think he his value is going up in April. The guy will be 32 and have sat out a year by then. Crazy talk thinking that.

I wouldn't trade Palmer for Curry. Curry is making so much money and has been a severe disappointment. We already have a good young linebacking core.

If we were to trade him, we would have to get at least a 2nd rounder. I'd say that's bare minimum. Anything less, what's the point? Carson took his team to the playoffs in '09. He's not as bad as our fans make him out to be.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1318433042' post='1044207']

I dont know about the trading him for a player, but I agree it's wishful thinking to think he his value is going up in April. The guy will be 32 and have sat out a year by then. Crazy talk thinking that.
[/quote]

I don't think so. Right now, there are 8-10 teams that have a shot at Luck. As long as they have a chance at him, most won't trade for Carson. Of whatever teams are left, Carson can only realistically help a team running a Coryell offense this year (so even fewer trade options). Add to that all of the sucking for Luck teams that now have lame duck coaches. Those teams won't be trading for anyone because they won't want to saddle their next coach with a previous regime's choices. That makes the current market, at best, tiny. Come April, those 8-10 teams will still need an upgrade at Quarterback, will have 2012 coaching staffs, and a full offseason to train a QB in any system they like, but only 1 will have Luck. Carson's value will be at it's highest when there are more teams interested in him... It's pretty basic supply and demand, and I don't think a December 27 birthday is going to change that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1318433042' post='1044207']

[/quote]

Can you tell me what a team would have to gain by trading for him now over waiting until April?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1318435368' post='1044224']

Can you tell me what a team would have to gain by trading for him now over waiting until April?
[/quote]

Well, shit, Carson has walked on water. I'm sure he can turn the Seahawks into the GB Packers real quick.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1318385729' post='1044003']

Look up old video of normal sized CBs trying to cover Harold Carmichael of the Eagles.
[/quote]

Harold Carmichael is a stud, one of the most badass names ever too.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1318435261' post='1044223']

I don't think so. Right now, there are 8-10 teams that have a shot at Luck. As long as they have a chance at him, most won't trade for Carson. Of whatever teams are left, Carson can only realistically help a team running a Coryell offense this year (so even fewer trade options). Add to that all of the sucking for Luck teams that now have lame duck coaches. Those teams won't be trading for anyone because they won't want to saddle their next coach with a previous regime's choices. That makes the current market, at best, tiny. Come April, those 8-10 teams will still need an upgrade at Quarterback, will have 2012 coaching staffs, and a full offseason to train a QB in any system they like, but only 1 will have Luck. Carson's value will be at it's highest when there are more teams interested in him... It's pretty basic supply and demand, and I don't think a December 27 birthday is going to change that.
[/quote]

Luck isnt the only QB in next years draft, next years draft has a couple of guys that will be first rounders, its not like this year's draft that the large consensus was that it was a down year for QBs. It isnt Luck and nobody else.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1318435368' post='1044224']
[/quote]

I would think that a team like Miami who lost their QB for the year, has a coach on the hot seat, and their QB there isnt that great to begin with would take a chance on him so the coach might be able to keep him job. I dont expect Carson to do well right off, but by seasons end he should be doing well enough to give them hope for next year as well as might be able to have their coach keep his job because of that.

I think it really depends on how other teams view Carson as a player. Is he the 2005 Pro Bowl player that was a top 3 QB in the league or is he the guy who took a team to 4-12 with 2 Pro Bowl WR's and then quit on the team?

If I was a GM, I wouldn't risk it for much. If he quit on someone else, you know the idea would be there for him to do it again if things got rocky. I wouldn't touch him UNLESS I got him for cheap and had to give up a LATE rounder. And even so, I wouldn't do it if I were the 0-5, 1-4 because I could be picking top 5 next year. If I took Carson, I wouldn't make him "the man". It would be one of those things where if it worked out, great; if it didn't, oh well. I wouldn't count on him to be my QB of the future.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1318437954' post='1044237']
The whole "quitting" thing is bitter fan syndrome. Other teams arent going to care about that they will pick him up or decline based on talent and if they believe he still has it or not.
[/quote]

That's not good thinking in my opinion.

Say you run a company and there's a guy out there that could potentially make you better. He's boycotting work with another company because things didn't go the way he wanted at this time. You'd seriously consider this guy to lead your company into the future without any thought on his past actions?

Uhm...... ?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318435996' post='1044226']
Well, shit, Carson has walked on water. I'm sure he can turn the Seahawks into the GB Packers real quick.
[/quote]
The Hawks have Charlie Whitehurst. Man is the bomb!!

I would expect the Dolphins to make a big push for him now. Closing out the season on a high note might save their coach and make the fans happy. Waiting for next year probably wont save Sparano.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1318439147' post='1044246']

That's not good thinking in my opinion.

Say you run a company and there's a guy out there that could potentially make you better. He's boycotting work with another company because things didn't go the way he wanted at this time. You'd seriously consider this guy to lead your company into the future without any thought on his past actions?

Uhm...... ?
[/quote]

That's because your thinking is tainted because of being a fan.

If you think the guy will help your team you do it. Period.

Let's stop acting like Carson Palmer is TO.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1318439463' post='1044249']
That's because your thinking is tainted because of being a fan.

If you think the guy will help your team you do it. Period.

Let's stop acting like Carson Palmer is TO.
[/quote]

And your thinking is NOT tainted because......why?

Archived