Bengals trade Palmer to the Raiders !!!!

[b] Reports: Bengals to trade QB Palmer to Raiders[/b]

Posted Oct. 18, 2011 @ 11:22 a.m. ET
By PFW staff

[i]Updated 11:22 a.m. ET on Tuesday, Oct. 18[/i]

The Bengals will trade QB Carson Palmer to the Raiders for a first-round pick in 2012 and a conditional pick in 2013 that could be a first-rounder, according to multiple reports. Fox Sports' Jay Glazer first reported the news. The '13 pick is a second-rounder that could be a first-rounder based on Palmer's play, according to Glazer.

Palmer, a two-time Pro Bowler, has not played this season after demanding to be traded. Bengals owner Mike Brown had refused to make a move. Per Glazer, Raiders head coach Hue Jackson has a close relationship with Brown and worked "to get Brown to budge."

The trade deadline is at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Raiders explored trading for Eagles backup QB Vince Young.

Palmer, 31, started all 16 games last season for the 4-12 Bengals. He threw 26 touchdowns and tied a career-high with 20 interceptions. Jackson was the Bengals' wide receivers coach from 2004-2006 and Palmer was a Pro Bowler in '05 and '06.

Raiders QB Jason Campbell broke his collarbone in Sunday's win over the Browns. He said he could return before the season ends. Kyle Boller replaced Campbell in the game and the Raiders' third-string QB is rookie Terrelle Pryor.

The Bengals are off to a 4-2 start thanks in part to the play of rookie QB Andy Dalton.

The Raiders will be without draft picks in the first, second, third and fourth rounds in the 2012 draft if the Palmer trade is made official. They will, however, get compensatory picks after losing CB Nnamdi Asomugha, OG Robert Gallery and TE Zach Miller to free agency. The highest compensatory pick you can get is a third-rounder.

Palmer, who is signed through 2014, is reportedly slated to make $11.5 million in base salary this season, but his pro-rated salary will be around $7.44 million. According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Raiders have around $6 million left under the salary cap, as Palmer will have to restructure his deal.

[b]The way we see it[/b]

For the Bengals, this is an out-of-this-world package for Palmer, who had signaled he would never play for Cincinnati again. Brown had repeatedly said the club didn't have any plans to move Palmer, but that apparently changed once the Raiders offered two high-round picks.

The Bengals had clearly moved on without Palmer, drafting Dalton in Round Two in April and installing him as the starter. Dalton has played well in six games, and the 4-2 Bengals are just a half-game out of first place entering their bye week. Now, the Bengals are positioned to either surround Dalton with more talent or add to a stout defense with an extra first-round pick next April. Even better for the Bengals, first-round picks are paid significantly less under the new CBA than they were before 2011.

Palmer's decision to walk out on the Bengals in January seemed to put the franchise in a bind. In the end, Cincinnati handled the situation adroitly.

For the Raiders, at 4-2, a division title is certainly in reach with one of the league's best rushing attacks and a physical defensive front. Palmer is certainly an upgrade over Boller, but the big question will be how good is Palmer after so much time off? He struggled last season and hasn't played in a game since Jan. 2. Without a pick until the end of the third round (compensatory) in next year's draft, this is clearly a "win now" move by Oakland.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/18/reports-bengals-to-trade-qb-palmer-to-raiders

HO

LY

SHIT

Foot in my mouth for sure.

Thanks for the memories CP...I hope both you and Hue have success in OAK...provided you aren't playing us.

We only have 1 loss in the conference and are 1-0 in division thus a playoff berth is entirely in our hands and I have no problem with having to "compete" in a round-about-tie-breaker way with OAK for a playoff spot.

Two firsts!?!?! WHO-FUCKING-DEY Mikey Boy!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1318950503' post='1047362']
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/Rachel__Nichols"]Rachel__Nichols[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Rachel Nichols[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]Still amazed at Palmer deal - [b]Bengals could be a very, very good team in a couple yrs [/b]if they draft right. Good for Carson too. Home to Cali[/font]

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/Rachel__Nichols/status/126311811053137920"]2 minutes ago[/url] [size=2][url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

[/quote]

Rachel: we are a very good team now.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318948012' post='1047257']

Plus like I have mentioned, their suckage = higher draft pick.
[/quote]

Agreed re: this year. I wont root for them. But with the conditional I imagine having to do with playing time/preformance. I will be big time rooting for him next year.

Not all Raiders fans are giddy about this trade! Copied this from their forum.

"To me Palmer smacks of Jeff George. Some beautiful stats coupled with a lot of interceptions and ugly losses. It's a like a woman with a perfect body but an ugly face and a raging case of the Herp."

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1318952836' post='1047460']

Agreed re: this year. I wont root for them. But with the conditional I imagine having to do with playing time/preformance. I will be big time rooting for him next year.
[/quote]

We get a their 1st rounder in 2012 regardless. The conditional pick is for 2013.
Plus we play the Raiders in 2012 at Cincy.

I'll be rooting that he reaches the incentives, but I want his team to fail.

The Raiders team is built for Palmer. Dude has some speed on that team and can put up some big numbers. I think he will make a lot of his haters eat crow. Watch him win a Superbowl with the Raiders.....come back and bite us for the curse of Bo Jackson.

I can't wait to hear him finally talk and explain himself.

2 first was an awesome job by Brown....please Bengals get an OL or two!!!!!!

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1318952966' post='1047467']
Does jersey #9 get retired now...or do we give it to a future punter?
[/quote]
We let the equipment manager use it to shine Andy Dalton's shoes.

Had to post over at bengals jungle too LT... couldn't resist it.

Archived