Gresham vs. Bryant

After watching Dez Bryant for the Cowboys I can't help but wonder what might have been had we taken him instead of Gresham in the first round of last years draft, especially considering we had no idea if Jerome Simpson was ever going to see the field. Prior to the draft there was a lot of talk that it came down to these two players for us.

I have nothing against Gresham, I think he has all the 'tools' to be a great TE, but his drops concern me at times. Dez Bryant seems to be a beast, and the thought of him split out with AJ Green makes me drool.

That being said it seems that Dez can be a bit of a diva, and lord knows we have had more than enough diva WR's in this town to last us a lifetime.

Had we taken Bryant, there's a good chance we wouldn't have taken Green. I'd rather have Gresham and Green than Bryant. Besides, if Bryant had come to Cincy I think there's a good chance he would be the second coming of Ochocinco and not in a good way).

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1319405922' post='1050152']
Probably wouldnt have AJ green if we had drafted Dez.
[/quote]
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319406082' post='1050153']

that too.
[/quote]

Exactly, difficult to believe we go WR #1 two years in a row. But like what I see so far. Would love to see Gresham even more involved. Bengals 2 super bowl teams had 2 great TE's in Ross and Holman.... And just off the top of my head the elite/super bowl teams of the last decade always had a "go to" TE......

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1319413848' post='1050439']
He's got a ton of talent, but he's dumb as a box of rocks and he's a handful off the field, too. Between his posse, over-spending, and other issues, he's a handful. No thanks.
[/quote]

Like our friend Goodell needs a new whipping boy

[quote name='mgbrown66' timestamp='1319404510' post='1050140']
After watching Dez Bryant for the Cowboys I can't help but wonder what might have been had we taken him instead of Gresham in the first round of last years draft, especially considering we had no idea if Jerome Simpson was ever going to see the field. Prior to the draft there was a lot of talk that it came down to these two players for us.

I have nothing against Gresham, I think he has all the 'tools' to be a great TE, but his drops concern me at times. Dez Bryant seems to be a beast, and the thought of him split out with AJ Green makes me drool.

That being said it seems that Dez can be a bit of a diva, and lord knows we have had more than enough diva WR's in this town to last us a lifetime.
[/quote]
Wow, you're an idiot. Gresham is the best young TE in the league and Bryant is an injury prone prima donna who finally had a decent game yesterday. Still. no doubt you're drooling. I'll bet "you drools" a lot.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1319478347' post='1050746']
Wow, you're an idiot. Gresham is the best young TE in the league and Bryant is an injury prone prima donna who finally had a decent game yesterday. Still. no doubt you're drooling. I'll bet "you drools" a lot.
[/quote]
mgb66 just threw it out there as a thought. Dez was talked at length on this board as a guy to pick that year. It was a bye week. And I assume mgb66 was just trying to contribute and generate some discussion. Looks like we all agree the Bengals have definitely made the right move....

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1319480269' post='1050763']
mgb66 just threw it out there as a thought. Dez was talked at length on this board as a guy to pick that year. It was a bye week. And I assume mgb66 was just trying to contribute and generate some discussion. Looks like we all agree the Bengals have definitely made the right move....
[/quote]

X2.

The Cowboys got a huge talent at that spot... I think Jerry was still wearing the scars of not taking Moss back in the day, and he wasn't gonna let it happen again. Bryant might become a superstar, but I just think the Bengals made the right choice in hindsight.

MGB66 did rightly indicate that Gresham has had some of the dropsies (so has Bryant, actually), but he seems to be a guy that is serious about improving, and he'll work at it.

Considering there were some great TE's in that draft (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Graham, Moeaki just to name a few) I thought it was worth a discussion. Is Gresham really head and shoulders above those others?

And if you watch a Cowboys game Dez is a beast when he's on the field. However, given this franchise's inability to draft a descent TE (Brewer anyone?) I'm not complaining.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1319478347' post='1050746']
[/quote]

Is that really necessary within the context of the discussion, to call someone a name because you don't agree with them? Please don't do that. I know you're new here and all, and we want new people to stick around and participate, AND we also don't really moderate here, but I think this was a little out of line.

Besides, you're supposed to have 1,000 posts before you can personally insult someone....it's in the rules!
[quote name='mgbrown66' timestamp='1319482394' post='1050779']
Considering there were some great TE's in that draft (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Graham, Moeaki just to name a few) I thought it was worth a discussion. Is Gresham really head and shoulders above those others?

And if you watch a Cowboys game Dez is a beast when he's on the field. However, given this franchise's inability to draft a descent TE (Brewer anyone?) I'm not complaining.
[/quote]
To be fair, the Patriots have Tom fucking Brady throwing to two of those TE's, and he makes even old-ass Deion Branch look like a pro-bowler. And while Andy Dalton is a lot of good things, he's not up there with Brady yet. So not only is Gresham a better fit for the team within the context of who else we have on the offense, I also will say that I think he is more talented from a purely physical standpoint as well. Gresham would probably have 50 touchdowns by now if he had been drafted by the Patriots instead of us.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1319486878' post='1050811']
Gresham has a much higher ceiling than anybody drafted that year, they just need to start getting him downfield more. Once they do that, he'll be unstoppable.
[/quote]
I agree.

• 8 months later...
Thank God we passed on this idiot.

[url="http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120718dez_bryants_mother_told_friends_that_her_son_tried_to_kill_me/srvc=sports&position=also"]http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120718dez_bryants_mother_told_friends_that_her_son_tried_to_kill_me/srvc=sports&position=also[/url]

[quote]
[b] Dez Bryant’s mother told friends that her son ‘tried to kill me’[/b]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]FORT WORTH, Texas — In an emotional 911 call, the mother of Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant can be heard telling friends that her son "tried to kill me" and that she’s going to "put an end to it today."[/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]Angela D. Bryant told police that her son hit her across the face with a ball cap, pulled her hair, tore her shirt and bra, and repeatedly struck her hands and wrists when she tried to push him away, according to records released Tuesday by the DeSoto (Texas) Police Department.[/left][/size][/font][/color]

"Babe, I can’t keep letting him do this. . . . I can’t let him do me like this. I’m tired. I’m going to put an end to it today," the 37-year-old woman can be heard telling someone else in the room during her call to 911.

Bryant surrendered to authorities Monday on a Class A misdemeanor warrant for assault with bodily injury and immediately posted bond. If convicted, he faces up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

Even if not found guilty of the criminal charge, Bryant could still face discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy, an NFL official said Tuesday.
The assault apparently started at Angela Bryant’s home in the 800 block of West Pleasant Run Road in DeSoto about 1:15 p.m. Saturday.
Angela Bryant called 911 from a friend’s nearby house in the 900 block of Longmeadow Lane, telling police that her son was now there.
"He won’t go home. I keep telling him to go home. He won’t go," she tells the dispatcher as a man can be heard yelling in the background.
Angela Bryant later tells the dispatcher that her son has left in a white Pearl Lincoln Navigator with the license plate "BAILME."
Angela Bryant told dispatchers that no one had been drinking or taking drugs and that her brother, son and a friend were present when the assault occurred.
When asked if anybody was armed with weapons, Angela Bryant replied "not yet" but said her son had picked up a ball and tried to hit her with it.
"And then he grabbed me. You’ll see when you get here how my clothes look," she tells the dispatcher.
Police did not immediately arrest Bryant because police saw no evidence of the assault. Evidence of the injuries, however, surfaced a day or two later, said DeSoto police Capt. Ron Smith during a news conference Tuesday morning.
Those injuries, according to the affidavit, included swelling to the woman’s wrists and around her left thumb and bruising on her upper arms. Angela Bryant also complained of pain in her wrists, hands and arms and soreness in her chest from her son pushing her, the affidavit states.
"It’s pretty straightforward," Smith said. "He and his mom got in an argument. It’s physical. She got some injuries. We made the arrest."

Smith said he did not know what prompted the argument.
"Whatever led to it is really not an issue for us," Smith said. "We have an injured person. We have a suspect. We’re going to move forward."
Bryant was unavailable for comment on Monday.

His attorney, Royce West, said Monday that his client turned himself in when he learned there was a warrant out for his arrest, and cooperated with police. West did not return a message seeking comment Tuesday.
The Cowboys released this statement Monday through spokesman Rich Dalrymple: "We are in the process of gathering information and will not have a comment at this time."
The incident comes less than two weeks before the start of the Cowboys’ 2012 training camp, which begins officially on July 29 in Oxnard, Calif.
It ends what had been Bryant’s quiet off-season.

[/quote]

Not to defend Dez, but I think his mom could be gaming him a little here.

Either way, I'm glad this isn't going to be a 20 page bengal thread getting into all the little defenses, legal discussion, personnal life discussion that typically goes on when a Bengal is in an ugly situation.

Archived