Catchy stocks; Peyton welcomes Andre Caldwell to the Broncos

The Denver Broncos have commenced the process of putting more pieces in place around [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning"]Peyton Manning[/url].
Receiver [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4730/andre-caldwell"]Andre Caldwell[/url] has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Broncos, a league source tells PFT.
Caldwell spent four seasons with the Bengals, starting 14 games and catches 124 passes.
Look for more pass-catchers to be lured to Denver in the coming days. Unless the Tebow trade completely falls through and they make him a receiver.

From PFT: [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/21/andre-caldwell-joins-the-broncos/"]http://profootballta...ns-the-broncos/[/url]

With him and the extreme possibility that Jerome won't be back, does anyone think a FA WR will be brought in?

EDIT: Feel free to delete this thread. With the eleventy billion FA threads, I didn't see this posted anywhere.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1332386326' post='1110227']
I think the Bengals address their WR need in the 3-4th round of the draft not in FA. Im honestly not sad to see Caldwell go and def dont want Simpson back.
[/quote]

Thats exactly how I feel about Caldwell and Simpson, but could see it get addressed sooner in the Draft, but the 3rd would be a good spot for it

I'm happy for him - he gets a chance to resurrect his career, since he wasn't going to get a shot here. He did some good things as a Bengal, and maybe if he'd not struggled with injuries this past year, he would have had more options, including staying here.

It'll be interesting how he does with Peyton there... always thought he was a hard worker who didn't always run the correct routes.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1332414883' post='1110273']
I'm happy for him - he gets a chance to resurrect his career, since he wasn't going to get a shot here. He did some good things as a Bengal, and maybe if he'd not struggled with injuries this past year, he would have had more options, including staying here.

It'll be interesting how he does with Peyton there... always thought he was a hard worker who didn't always run the correct routes.
[/quote]

...and dropped passes left and right. Oh, he would have a good/great game occasionally, but just as often be a major contributor to an another L. He had track speed but not football speed--never understood how a guy with 4.3 speed could never be a legit deep threat.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1332386326' post='1110227']
I think the Bengals address their WR need in the 3-4th round of the draft not in FA. Im honestly not sad to see Caldwell go and def dont want Simpson back.
[/quote]

I agree. One down, one to go. But I won't complain too much if they do keep Simpson as long as they don't hand him the #2 spot without a fight. But if they keep him, they will probably have to pay him #2 money which would lock him in that spot. So I say let him go, sign Steve Smith and draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th. Nick Toon?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1332392817' post='1110256']
Watch him become like reggie wayne!
[/quote]

Probably more like Anthony Gonzalez.

[size=6][b]Catchy stocks; Peyton welcomes Caldwell[/b][/size]
Posted by hobsonschoice1 Posted on March 21, 2012 – 8:14 pm

If the Bengals are indeed in the market for a wide receiver in next month’s draft at No. 17 or No. 21, they look to have another first-round option after Baylor’s Kendall Wright ran a 4.3-second 40-yard dash at his pro workout Wednesday in Waco, Texas.

Wright fell over the side last month at the scouting combine when he ran 4.61 seconds, which mystified teams because it didn’t match how fast he played on tape.

Now Wright seems all right. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said on the air he’d be stunned now if Wright fell out of the top 20 and ESPN’s Todd McShay said on the ESPN Chicago blog that the 40 “helps you kind of solidify the fact he’s one of the top two or three receivers in the draft.”

NFL.com’s Gil Brandt observed on his blog after he watched Wright catch balls from Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, “Everybody ‘oohed and ahhed’ at some (of) the catches that Kendall Wright made. The thing about him is, you can’t throw the ball over his head on deep routes. But he’s a very, very athletic guy who’s very strong.”

The Bears are apparently all over Wright and there were tweets Wednesday saying he won’t get past Chicago at No. 19. In the Bengals.com Media Mock Draft held this past weekend, the Bears took Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd and Wright was still on the board for the Bengals.

Speaking of receivers, former Bengal Andre Caldwell also helped his stock Wednesday when he became the first receiver recruited to Hall of Famer Peyton Manning’s stable in Denver with a two-year deal. Caldwell was never really right last season after a groin injury in training camp and the additions of slot receivers Jordan Shipley, Andrew Hawkins and Ryan Whalen made him expendable.

He’s a relliable and smart player, a good route-runner and a good blocker. He caught 124 balls in four years, but will always be remembered for two he caught within 21 days from Carson Palmer; TDs in the last minute to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore to help the ’09 AFC North sweep possible. And Caldwell’s five-yard TD catch with 10:52 left in Tennessee last year brought the Bengals from behind in the win that ended up putting them in the playoffs.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2012/03/21/catchy-stocks/

I'd rather have Floyd than Wright. What I've read/seen/heard has Wright looking like a good slot receiver. We already have a slot guy. Floyd seems more like a 6'3" Anquan Boldin type of guy. Tall, physical, and good speed... I'd be very interested to see Green, Floyd, Shipley, and Gresham on the field at the same time.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1332442479' post='1110548']
I'd rather have Floyd than Wright. What I've read/seen/heard has Wright looking like a good slot receiver. We already have a slot guy. Floyd seems more like a 6'3" Anquan Boldin type of guy. Tall, physical, and good speed... I'd be very interested to see Green, Floyd, Shipley, and Gresham on the field at the same time.
[/quote]
Wright is definitely more of an outside guy.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332442593' post='1110549']
Wright is definitely more of an outside guy.
[/quote]

I read one guy compare him to Desean Jackson, but 4-5 say he's a Wes Welker, slot guy.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1332444727' post='1110565']

Let's see how welcome Caldwell is when he starts putting the ball on the ground...
[/quote]
...in the same way Tom Brady greeted Chad Ochocinco after he started dropping passes.....pretty pissed off I expect.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1332415980' post='1110275']

...and dropped passes left and right. Oh, he would have a good/great game occasionally, but just as often be a major contributor to an another L. He had track speed but not football speed--never understood how a guy with 4.3 speed could never be a legit deep threat.
[/quote]

I'll never understand why they test a guy doing any feat without PADS on. Add pads and it slows some guys down and limits their actions. That's why the combine means nothing to me.

How fast is your 40, ...in pads?
How good are you with the cones, ...in pads?
How high can you jump, ...in pads?

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1332415980' post='1110275']

He had track speed but not football speed--never understood how a guy with 4.3 speed could never be a legit deep threat.
[/quote]

let me help you understand that then, and i'm not trying to act like some know-it all. no matter how fast a WR is, if his routes aren't crisp, if he's not able to consistently make make cuts on a dime and instead rounds them off, virtually any cornerback in the NFL will end up negating his speed. sure, he'll catch some balls, but he'll never get to that next level that separates the WRs that dominate in the league. how quick you are in and out of your cuts (breaks), rates much higher in the final analysis than your straight line forty speed. for that reason the short shuttle is many times a better prognosticator for the potential of a quality WR than a 4.35 forty man. of course there's always that little thing of being able to catch the football that factors in, as well.

Archived