Get rid of Marvin Lewis

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1357577133' post='1205928']
Mike brown will never fire Marvin.
[/quote]

Oh, I agree and we all know that.

Still, I think even Mike Brown realizes that Marvin is not the answer on the field.
And he sees the empty seats, too, even if they are already paid for by season ticket holders
who do not show up. Eventually they are going to quit paying, too... like very possibly me.

But Marvin has so well entrenched himself with the team via popularity and the community
that he would be darned hard to simply fire and cut off completely from the organization.
Even I do not want to see that happen to him (being fired).

I also do not agree with the Mike for GM crowd.
He (or is it Zim and Gruden?) has done well recently with the draft, Burficit, etc.
but I still see Chris Perry, Keith Rivers, etc. et al and I still blame him for the
failure of Carson Palmer as in not building a team around him.
Deja vu all over again right now with Andy who does not have anywhere near the
tools of Carson. I still think it takes a creative, aggressive football mind to build a team
around a quarterback and Marv failed miserably with Carson.

Whatever... create a position where he deals with the team (a super Eric Ball / Father Flanigan)
and schmoozes the public but he is simply and obviously not getting it done on the field.
At least like a top tier head coach.

Like anyone else, Marvin has strengths and weaknesses. He's a good motivator and didn't lose the locker room during some of the bad years. He's a better talent evaluator than most coaches. He's also not very good on Sundays when it matters most. Game management is an persistent and inexplicable weakness. He really should deputize someone in the coaches box to make decisions on challenges, timeouts vs taking the delay of game penalty, going for two after a TD, and going for it on 4th down vs punting or trying a FG.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1357571977' post='1205880']
If you want a complete and [u]consistently[/u] winning football franchise,
time to look elsewhere.
[/quote]
[b]Playoffs 3 out of 4 years is about as "consistent" as it gets in today's NFL. It puts the Bengals in the top tier of NFL teams. [/b]

[b]Now if your argument is playoff wins fine ... but that is a pretty high bar to set for an NFL coach ... they are usually judged on making the playoffs, not winning the Superbowl (or else you'd have 31 pink slips a year). [/b]

He needs to hire a better offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. I'm one who doesn't like Marvin, but I dont think firing him now would help us. There's 2 types of successful coaches IMO. 1 is like Belichick who is the genius behind the success. The other type is like Tomlin, his success is due to his assistants. Look how they did this year compared to with Arians and Lebeau as his coordinators. If we could just get an adequate offensive coordinator this team would make that leap that were all wanting.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1357571977' post='1205880']
Wasn't it Marvin's job as head coach to step in and correct this? Isn't the OC subordinate to him and, as head joke, I mean, coach, his responsibility to right the ship? Of course, the way things looked that may have called for an on field, on the fly adjustment and we know how well Marv does that. Or if that was the plan going in or the way things were shaping up in practice the pervious week where was Marv to do something tangible about actually running and coaching the team and all facets of it?

There is the story (doubt if I can find the exact source or quote) where the now unemployed Lovie Smith called is OC in and TOLD him he wanted more running game and the OC complied.

If anyone wants to argue that Marvin is mediocre, I will agree whole heartedly.
And if mediocrity is what you want, Marv is your man.

Going from terrible to mediocre... woo hoo.
Staying there... pathetic.

The Texans entered the league in 2002.
Marvin became Bengals head coach in 2003.

Look at what the start from scratch Texans have done in only a year more in the NFL
than Marvin has as head coach Mediocre Marv.
Like the last two years, for example.

The guy is the greatest guy in the world, popular with the players, personable, approachable
and a major asset to the franchise and city (Marvin Lewis Foundation) BUT ... on the field
he simply cannot get it done.

As a head coach, as far as I am concerned, Marv has run out of excuses.
Brat, Bart, Chad Ocho, Carson, and all the way back.
Like Mo said above (and I deleted) Marvin is the common denominator.
To paraphrase Pogo "Marvin has found the problem and he is him."

If mediocrity and Mr. Congeniality is what you want, that's Marv.
If you want a complete and consistently winning football franchise,
time to look elsewhere.
And no, I do now want to blow up the team.

And I know the Man Love for Marvin and Marvapologists will rip this post
but the time has come. Actually, it had come about a half dozen years ago.

Marv for Director of Human Relations and Coaching Consultant!
[/quote]

and the owners and their open wallets are equally the same. get a fuckin life! your schtick is starting to grow mold on it.

[size=6][b]Marvin Lewis the 'Susan Lucci' of the NFL?[/b][/size]

[size=6][b]Lewis: You just keep building the lists, we'll keep knocking them down[/b][/size]

3:16 PM, Jan 8, 2013

Since Marvin Lewis says I always seem to find the negative in things, let me start off with a couple positives. Lewis is the first Bengals head coach to lead the franchise to three seasons of 10 wins or more, the Bengals posted consecutive winning seasons in non-strike years for the first time since 1976, they made two straight playoff trips for the first time in 30 years and for the first time in non-strike years. The Bengals are also one of only seven teams to reach the playoffs in at least three of the last four seasons.

Now, let’s focus on something else. Lewis is still winless in four postseason games. Of the nine NFL head coaches who have been with their teams for four or more seasons, Lewis and Atlanta’s Mike Smith are both winless in the postseason. Smith hopes to not join Lewis at 0-4 when the Falcons host the Seahawks on Sunday.

They are tied for the seventh longest postseason victory drought in league history at 22 seasons and counting.

And now in the Lewis cringeworthy stat that makes him the Susan Lucci of NFL head coaches (Lewis’ own words, not mine) — he will overtake Norm Van Brocklin for second next year on most games coached without a playoff victory. Jim Mora leads with 237 followed by Van Brocklin (173) and Lewis (164). Mora was 0-6 in the postseason (0-4 Saints, 0-2 Colts). Van Brocklin never coached a team that made the playoffs.

However, Lewis will overtake Mora for most games coached with one team without a playoff win. Mora coached 171 games with the Saints and was 93-78 in 10-plus seasons with New Orleans. Lewis will enter his 11th year at 79-84-1. Van Brocklin’s career mark was 66-100-7.

When asked about the pressure to get that first playoff win, Lewis said: “I can’t wait to get off your next list that you put before me. I’m going to look forward to next season so that I can get off that list. You just keep building the lists and we’ll keep knocking them down. I was looking forward to getting that knocked down this year. You guys always seem to find the negative in things and I’ll keep trying to look for the positives.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20130108/SPT02/301080036/

• 11 months later...
If you guys think Marvin or Dalton won't be here next year, you're crazy. Marvin has better job security than a Supreme Court Justice and nobody has the balls to fire Dalton because our entire team is ran by pussies.

Ten years of failure, same results and same press conference answers after shitting the bed in every time game for a decade. Nothing will change. And IF they make the playoffs next year, they won't sell out the game. Not after this performance.

If you guys think Marvin or Dalton won't be here next year, you're crazy. Marvin has better job security than a Supreme Court Justice and nobody has the balls to fire Dalton because our entire team is ran by pussies.

Ten years of failure, same results and same press conference answers after shitting the bed in every time game for a decade. Nothing will change. And IF they make the playoffs next year, they won't sell out the game. Not after this performance.

This is 100% true. The fear of potentially not hitting on a better QB keeps us from going after one. Coach too. 

It won't happen.

But it should. And here's why:

This team has become good.  But good isn't good enough.  Firing Marvin, who just had a good season, would send the message in no uncertain terms that good isn't good enough. 

Otherwise, I fear that the team could actually slide in the opposite direction and get worse.  What was really depressing today was to see so many of our players giving less than total effort, led by our Superstar AJ Green. 

This is a top down issue and at this point will only ever really get fixed by fixing things at the top. 

Maybe the way to do it is truly at the TOP, and Katie and Troy sit down with MB and tell him it's time to retire.  But who knows, maybe as he gets older he realizes he has less time and that's the incentive he needs to push for more.  Because that's what we need here: more.

Archived