Get rid of Marvin Lewis

I dont nessasarly want to blow things up, but I feel like some tweeking needs to be done. If nothing else Jonathan Hayes needs to go, he has talent in Gresham and Charles and imo Gresh should be one of the top TEs in the leauge, he should play every game like he did the KC game this year, and to me that's on coaching. He shouldnt need Eric Berry trash talking him to light fire under his ass.

[quote name='BurnsBengal' timestamp='1357444699' post='1205183']

Let me know where you live and when I am in your city (I travel often) I
will humiliate you in the sporting contest(s) of your choice and then I
will take your woman (if she is hot) out for a gourmet meal....I am not
responsible for any advances she might (will) make during dinner.

Rules are as follows -

1. Hoops. Costs $20 up front to play me (Game = 21 by 1's and 2's) You
beat me (you won't) I pay $100 cash on the spot. When I beat you, I keep
your $20.

Keep in mind that I have a lethal x-over and a 33" vert. You *will* get
dunked on. Repeatedly.

2. Baseball. I fan you on 5 pitches or less. Cost: $20 up front, pay out
is the same as basketball with the following caveats:

a. Solid contact pays $300 cash, on the spot.
b. Going yard pays $3,000 cash, on the spot.

Keep in mind, that I have filthy, nasty stuff. Exploding slider, wicked
splitty, heavy fastball, good change.

3. Baseball Part II. You pitch to me, cost is $30 up front. If I don't
hit everything you throw (If you can get anything near the plate) on the
screws, I pay you $2000.00 in cash.

4. Football. Punt, pass, kick. Cost is $50 up front. Out distance me
and I'll pay you $4,500
Here are my current averages:

Pass: 63 yds
Punt: 52 yds
Kick: 61 yds

Total: 176 yds!

5. Swim. 50M freestyle. $25 up front. You beat me in best 2 out 3 and I
pay you $500 on the spot.

6. Boxing or mixed martial arts. Trust me. Do *NOT* even think about
going there.
[/quote]

No one who professes to know their "punt, pass, and kick" averages will ever - in any context - be seriously. You're a tool.

[b]Firing a coach is the easy cheap thing to do for an organization that has no idea what it's doing ... the Bengals did this all through the Dark decade of the 90's ... [/b]

[b]The Steelers have had 3 coachers EVER ... stability is what has been shown to produce good results on the whole. Playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years is way above the league average of performance. Despite yesterday's loss, you could actually make a better case for giving Marvin a raise and an extension than firing him. Hell Andy Reid had a "dream team" for 2 years and couldn't win more than 5 games ... then once fired, the Chiefs scooped him up within hours. [/b]

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1357514393' post='1205619']
No one who professes to know their "punt, pass, and kick" averages will ever - in any context - be seriously. You're a tool.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMdVGXuwX4

JUSTICE LEAGUE!!!

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1357515080' post='1205629']
Marvin is like a guy who can approach the girl at the bar, charm her, get her to come to his place, and then can't get it up. He can do everything but perform when it matters.
[/quote]

lol.. that's funny

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357514314' post='1205617']
[b]Ask the Browns, Bills or Raiders et al how much changing the coach does ??? [/b]

[b]We're on the right track already. [/b]
[/quote]

Right track? What is this, 2003? Marvin has been here for 10 years and hasn't won a single playoff game. What else needs to be said?

[quote name='The Left Hand of Frerotte' timestamp='1357515574' post='1205636']
Marvin has been here for 10 years and hasn't won a single playoff game. What else needs to be said?
[/quote]
[b]Compare the 10 years prior ... to the 10 years since.
Only 1 team every year wins the Superbowl ... [/b]

[b]The Bengals had the worst decade in the history of organized team sports ...[/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357521566' post='1205690']
[b]The grass isn't always greener ... especially since Mike Brown might only be willing to shell out "entry" salary for a head coach who's never done so before (as Marvin was). [/b]
[/quote]

Sad but true. Even if he did fire Marvin, does anyone honestly think Mike would bring in a guy like Reid, Cowher, Jon Gruden, etc? We would most likely be giving an O or D cordinator his first gig.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357521566' post='1205690']
[b]The grass isn't always greener ... especially since Mike Brown might only be willing to shell out "entry" salary for a head coach who's never done so before (as Marvin was). [/b]
[/quote]

Please don't tell me you are calling Mike Brown cheap?

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1357527104' post='1205723']
Please don't tell me you are calling Mike Brown cheap?
[/quote]
[b]He's a good businessman who produces a profitable product in a tough small market ... but yes, in some ways that makes him "cheap" or a "wise spender" depending on one's perspective. [/b]

[b]Do you want the story of the hunt told from the perspective of the hunter or the lion?[/b]

From Mo Egger's blog ....

[b]2) Marvin Lewis[/b]. With each loss, his playoff record moves up a few paragraphs in his bio. His offensive coordinator did him no favors on Saturday, with near total abandonment of the running game, nothing demanding that his QB throw the ball to AJ Green in the first half, and the two shakiest play calls of the season, on the final two plays of the game. But still, his team yet again looked less composed, less prepared, and less capable in a playoff game. And he's been the common denominator.

I believe that Marvin deserves a chance to see the project that began two years ago to and end point different than the way this particular season ended, but his winless postseason mark is becoming and more prominent part of his narrative which each defeat. And given his already shaky relationship with many Bengals fans, I'm not sure how much longer this team can employ a coach who has put in a decade worth of work with zero playoff successes.

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html#ixzz2HIVC9FFj

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357567326' post='1205856']
From Mo Egger's blog ....

[b]2) Marvin Lewis[/b]. His offensive coordinator did him no favors on Saturday, with near total abandonment of the running game, nothing demanding that his QB throw the ball to AJ Green in the first half, and the two shakiest play calls of the season, on the final two plays of the game. But still, his team yet again looked less composed, [b]less[/b] [b]prepared[/b], and less capable in a playoff game. And he's been the common denominator.

[/quote]

Wasn't it Marvin's job as head coach to step in and correct this? Isn't the OC subordinate to him and, as head joke, I mean, coach, his responsibility to right the ship? Of course, the way things looked that may have called for an on field, on the fly adjustment and we know how well Marv does that. Or if that was the plan going in or the way things were shaping up in practice the pervious week where was Marv to do something tangible about actually running and coaching the team and all facets of it?

There is the story (doubt if I can find the exact source or quote) where the now unemployed Lovie Smith called is OC in and TOLD him he wanted more running game and the OC complied.

If anyone wants to argue that Marvin is mediocre, I will agree whole heartedly.
And if mediocrity is what you want, Marv is your man.

Going from terrible to mediocre... woo hoo.
Staying there... pathetic.

The Texans entered the league in 2002.
Marvin became Bengals head coach in 2003.

Look at what the start from scratch Texans have done in only a year more in the NFL
than Marvin has as head coach Mediocre Marv.
Like the last two years, for example.

The guy is the greatest guy in the world, popular with the players, personable, approachable
and a major asset to the franchise and city (Marvin Lewis Foundation) BUT ... on the field
he simply cannot get it done.

As a head coach, as far as I am concerned, Marv has run out of excuses.
Brat, Bart, Chad Ocho, Carson, and all the way back.
Like Mo said above (and I deleted) Marvin is the common denominator.
To paraphrase Pogo "Marvin has found the problem and he is him."

If mediocrity and Mr. Congeniality is what you want, that's Marv.
If you want a complete and consistently winning football franchise,
time to look elsewhere.
And no, I do now want to blow up the team.

And I know the Man Love for Marvin and Marvapologists will rip this post
but the time has come. Actually, it had come about a half dozen years ago.

Marv for Director of Human Relations and Coaching Consultant!

I'm very mixed on Marvin.

Are there other coaches that could have coached well enough for us to win that game yesterday? Probably. Are there coaches that could do better game management then march ? Yes.

With that being said, I don't know how many coaches can take a young team like ours and even after falling to 3-5 could keep this team from giving up and going 7-1 in the second half to clinch a playoff birth.

Not to mention how much control mike would I've to a brand new coach.

If we hired a gm though I'd be completely fine with a new HC.

The truth is every NFL team would have fired Lewis after 2008 when they went 4-12. Every NFL team would have fired after the 2010 season.

I think the Bengals gave Marvin a clean slate after 2010. A new regime in effect took place. New O-coord, new team doctor, this alleged practice bubble, Marvin receiving some of his demands for more team control. And because of that the Bengals are evaluating Marvin Lewis with no recollection of his first 8 years. He is in effect in his 2nd season and has a 19-13 record as a HC and is 0-2 in the playoffs. The previous 128 games did not happen and he will not be judged on that performance going forward.

Now if that is the case do you fire a newly hired HC who went 19-13 and made the playoffs twice in his first 2 years, coming off a 4-12 season? I dont think so.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357514314' post='1205617']
[b]Ask the Browns, Bills or Raiders et al how much changing the coach does ??? [/b]

[b]We're on the right track already. [/b]
[/quote]

So San Diego should have kept Norv Turner, 3 playoff appearance in 6 years, 3 wins, played in the AFC title game once, only one losing season?

So Philly should have kept Andy Reid? 3 lossing season is 14 years, 9 playoff appearances, made it Super Bowl, a multitude of NFC Championships games?

Most fans consider some type of playoff success as SUCCESS. Marvin has had none.

Archived