Cincinnati Bengals Face Tough Competition from Cleveland Browns in 2013

The AFC North is in a state of flux with top dogs like the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens supposedly falling off while the Cincinnati Bengals continue to potentially climb the ladder.

Not much credit is given to the Cleveland Browns.

Cleveland is quietly building something special. Competitive right away? Perhaps. But the foundation for a competitive franchise year in and out is slowly being formed. There are still question marks, sure, but with how tough the Browns have been in divisional matchups over the years with nothing going for them, the state of affairs in Cleveland right now should be cause for concern for the rest of the AFC North

You already know about the offense. Running back Trent Richardson, if he can stay healthy, may be as close as we are going to get to another Adrian Peterson. He alone can carry an offense. There's a promising weapon at receiver in Josh Gordon if he can stay out of trouble off the field (he'll miss the first two games of the year thanks to suspension).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinnati-bengals-face-tough-competition-cleveland-browns-2013-140400673.html

May I comment here without being labeled a Browns fan?  lol

Seriously though, Trent ran on us pretty good last year. And their defense is no slouch. Weeden isn't garbage like some think. He is a gun slinger. They are getting better for sure.

Weeden is garbage, like everyone thinks.

Lol i dont think the browns will be that bad this year, we barely beat them last year and they also beat us last year. 

No matter how good or bad either team is it always seems to be close. It's the battle of Ohio. There's history there. That said, the Browns in my mind don't look to be that much better than last season.

Eventually you would have to think they would break their streak of not winning a division. It's been since 1989.

I'll believe it when I see it. When it happens people will find out the most annoying fan base isn't the Pittsburgh steelers its the dawgs.

I do think that traditionally the Bengals sometimes tend to overlook and underestimate the Browns

and overconfidence can be a deal killer.

Plus the f*&king inability, for whatever reason, not to put teams away when ahead and/or approach

weak sisters with the attitude of "something will happen".

Like, we never play Cleveland like we do PIggsburgh or Ballthewhore.

Cleveland games always kind of scare me.

Yeah, this all reminds me of the same things said about us during the shake and Blake years. Of course none of it ever came true and looking back at the talent we had overall, it never should have.

They simply have WAY too many mediocre players at too many positions and the depth on their roster is akin to a 10 dollar plastic swimming pool you might buy at Odd Lots.

Trent Richardson is good. Gordon is a knucklehead but good. After that their offensive talent drops off a cliff. Any injury to Richardson, a position that players are frequently injured at, ends their season.

Eventually you would have to think they would break their streak of not winning a division. It's been since 1989.

I'll believe it when I see it. When it happens people will find out the most annoying fan base isn't the Pittsburgh steelers its the dawgs.

Truth

They have a pretty tough defense and now a very good running back.  That alone can win football games. I think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Yeah, this all reminds me of the same things said about us during the shake and Blake years. Of course none of it ever came true and looking back at the talent we had overall, it never should have.

They simply have WAY too many mediocre players at too many positions and the depth on their roster is akin to a 10 dollar plastic swimming pool you might buy at Odd Lots.

Trent Richardson is good. Gordon is a knucklehead but good. After that their offensive talent drops off a cliff. Any injury to Richardson, a position that players are frequently injured at, ends their season.

Richardson has done nothing in the NFL. He was a below average RB last year. I don't think an injury to Richardson would hurt at all. The Browns have a lot of talent on the OL though.

The main problem the Browns have is that the change coaches and philosophies every 2-3 years. The switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a 4-3 to a 3-4 endlessly. And each time they do they have to get new players to fit the scheme. It's hard to get good that way.

Richardson has done nothing in the NFL. He was a below average RB last year. I don't think an injury to Richardson would hurt at all. The Browns have a lot of talent on the OL though.

The main problem the Browns have is that the change coaches and philosophies every 2-3 years. The switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a 4-3 to a 3-4 endlessly. And each time they do they have to get new players to fit the scheme. It's hard to get good that way.

Yes - last year Frostee Rucker played well and was a spokesman for the team on the DL.  This year - gone.  Massoquoi and Robiskie were picked in round 2 a while back, both are gone now without getting a second contract.  The coach is supposed to be good with TEs but their #1 TE from last year is gone too,  I have no idea how Norv's deep pass ideas mesh that well with facing some of the better pass rush teams in the league in the division

We lost to ourselves last year.

STOP IT! Any person that says that about any game then isn't really watching football. We lost ourselves a bunch of games too. Dallas, Miami, the first Pitt game and it goes on. When you lose, you lose. We don't hand games out. No one is looking at the loss column saying oh, I remember them giving this game away.

STOP IT! Any person that says that about any game then isn't really watching football. We lost ourselves a bunch of games too. Dallas, Miami, the first Pitt game and it goes on. When you lose, you lose. We don't hand games out. No one is looking at the loss column saying oh, I remember them giving this game away.

I agree. Nobody is good enough to take an NFL team for granted.  That said, both Browns games were in the time of year when our defense was unsettled - Dunlap was out, Sims was out, Jamaal Anderson got hurt in the first one, Crocker was not back.  Later in the year both our pass defense and run defense were better.  The rookie recievers were limited, although Binns played well.

Our basic issues on both sides of the ball the whole year were lack of INTs, meh LB play overall, indifferent OL in spots and inconsistent offense.in games.  The moves we made in the offseason should help those areas without losing much if anything on what we had last year.  The Browns have added stuff, but lost stuff, and since they haven't gelled every other time they've scrambled things up it is hard to claim that this time everything will just fall into place. The distraction of the ownership with the Fed investigation can't help.

It seems like I hear this every year about the Browns and every year they suck.

We've reached the "throw the hopeless teams a bone" phase of the offseason. Means that football (and the crushing weight of reality when they take the field) is getting closer!

Archived