The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Bears

THE GOOD

Those TD drives looked good, but that's about it, except for the D in the first half.

THE UGLY

There is no "BAD" in this game. The rest was ugly..

Coaches - UGLY

BJE - UGLY

Turnovers - UGLY

This should have been an easy win but two turnovers in Bears territory when we could have made this a 2-3 score game really hurt. Coaches blowing timeouts and allowing the bears to get that retarded FG in the first half.

There is technically only one "FRANCHISE" designated player on the team (M Johnson) ... and where the fuck was he today?

(Now sure AJ & Atkins are better, but at 11 mil a year, Johnson is the teams highest paid player I believe technically). Would it have killed him to get a sack? Atkins at least had double teams ... what was his excuse?   :1018:  

Did the loss suck? Yes. Was there some really annoying and disappointing things happening on the field today? Yes but remember this team got their ass kicked last year in the opener and still made the playoffs.

In a way this may be the best thing to happen to this team. I think several guys came into this game with a big head and failed to show up. Also a lot of mental mistakes from some of those guys. Hopefully this will get them to concentrate and kill their ego and start to play better.

There was some good things from this game. Collins played a great game and both TEs made some nice plays. Dalton looked good and made some nice throws. Plus everyone in the division lost. Come back and whip the Steelers next week and this team is right back on track.

This team is still a playoff team. They just beat themselves today. I did not see any major holes on this team. Just a lot of mental mistakes that can be fixed.

And it won't hurt us in a tie breaker being against an NFC team. And didn't they lose each season opener in the last 3 play-off seasons? Yes, I'm rationalizing, but with that shitty loss, what else do we have?

There is technically only one "FRANCHISE" designated player on the team (M Johnson) ... and where the fuck was he today?
(Now sure AJ & Atkins are better, but at 11 mil a year, Johnson is the teams highest paid player I believe technically). Would it have killed him to get a sack? Atkins at least had double teams ... what was his excuse?   :1018:

He took a bad angle when they ran a stunt that lead to a huge gain late in the game too. Dunlap , Hall and Burfict had good games though.

And it won't hurt us in a tie breaker being against an NFC team. And didn't they lose each season opener in the last 3 play-off seasons? Yes, I'm rationalizing, but with that shitty loss, what else do we have?

Lost the opener in 09 and last year. Won the opener in 11 but did lose the next two games.

I still can't believe the defense took the field at the seven minute mark in the 4th quarter and didn't get the ball back for the offense. Tack on getting rolled by the Bears in the drive after it was 21-10, getting rolled after Sanu's fumble, and that being the side that bled the timeouts in the 4th and that was as ugly a day for the defense as we have seen in awhile. Very surprising and definitely very disappointing.

I still can't believe the defense took the field at the seven minute mark in the 4th quarter and didn't get the ball back for the offense. Tack on getting rolled by the Bears in the drive after it was 21-10, getting rolled after Sanu's fumble, and that being the side that bled the timeouts in the 4th and that was as ugly a day for the defense as we have seen in awhile. Very surprising and definitely very disappointing.

yea the Bears 2nd half drives were:

TD

INT 

TD

Victory Formation

18:45 time of possession by my quick count.

yea the Bears 2nd half drives were:

TD

INT 

TD

Victory Formation

18:45 time of possession by my quick count.

They shit the bed. 

I told my step son, who I somehow have converted from a Packers fan to a Bengals fan,

that they (Bengals) don't lose the 4th quarter. And sure as shit, they did. UGH. 

D had plenty of chances to make sure this game never got close. Even on the drive after Andy's first INT they had a long 3rd down that they gave up. They also gave up 2 long second half drives. Offense can't have those turnovers but they did enough to win it if our defense was truly anything close to dominant. When we aren't getting relentless pressure this secondary can't hold up.

D-line was a disappointment, facing 2 rookies in their first career start. Maualuga was god awful. Besides the dumb penalty to close the game, Rey had a missed tackle on 3rd down during the drive that also cost the Bengals possession. He was also targeted on Bennett's pass pattern on the Bears first TD. He seems to have gotten worse than he was last year.

Special teams did a good job on coverage.

O-line was mostly solid, especially Collins. Gresham looked determined, let's see if he keeps it up. Eifert and Gio had good debuts. Dalton was mostly good, he telegraphed the first pick and got a bit lucky on a couple other throws. We need a better lead blocker than Charles. 

Game management was poor, hardly a surprise. I don't know why Mike or Katie doesn't make Marvin hire a consultant with some common sense to handle things like challenges, running out the clock, etc. Marvin has shown over and over and over again that he's not good at stuff like that.

Can we add Cook to the ugly list. I just painfully rewatched the game and Cook got pushed back on almost every single running play. It was bad. Only one game, I understand that but we still need upgrades a center and strong safety. Iloka stayed blocked pretty easy on running plays. I don't really blame the lbs , but every time we had a third and long Zimmer had a lb on a damn wr in the slot. I didn't understand thatat all.

Add Collins to the good list he was money pass blocking, and Smith too.

The Good is that IF we clean up the mistakes, we are a very dangerous and talented team.

The Great is I don't care how you slice, dice or try to make a shit pie taste like an apple pie, Pittsburgh is in SERIOUS trouble.  A very thin team just lost 2 of its best players and a third who was a contributor.  They looked HORRID yesterday and Rothleisburger was utterly pounded by the fucking Titans.  32 yards rushing.  32 fucking yards against the 27th ranked defense last year.  Jen was 21-33 with 1 TD, 1 int and FIVE sacks. Think about it,  they only rushed the ball 15 times for 32 yards yet Jen didn't even break 200 in the air.

Anybody who saw ANY of the Clowns game had to be equally impressed.  53 passes from Weeden with 3 picks and 6 sacks?  53 passes???  Richardson had 47 whole yards on 13 carries?  Against Miami at home?  Awful game to watch much of.

Cook had problems with Paea (?) on a couple plays but otherwise the O-line finished blocks very well.

Rey had a good game.   He wasn't targeted at all on the TD.   They played zone and the TE found the soft spot and Cutler had to throw it high enough between the two defenders.    If anything the Safety might have been a step too slow.    Rey was in the spot he needed to be in.

Can we add Cook to the ugly list. 

Sure.

Can we add Cook to the ugly list. I just painfully rewatched the game and Cook got pushed back on almost every single running play. It was bad. Only one game, I understand that but we still need upgrades a center and strong safety. Iloka stayed blocked pretty easy on running plays. I don't really blame the lbs , but every time we had a third and long Zimmer had a lb on a damn wr in the slot. I didn't understand thatat all.

I don't really blame the lbs , but every time we had a third and long Zimmer had a lb on a damn wr in the slot. I didn't understand thatat all.

It was very noticeable.  You might also simply chalk it up to the Bears recognition of a particular weakness of ours and deciding to exploit our LB's with WR's.  The pattern had already been established before this season, so it's nothing news.  The only thing that will be surprising is if we don't see more of it.

Collins was beautiful.  Boiling was UGLY.  It does make one take pause and wonder if, for the good of the team, Whit might not suggest he play inside at LG once he's healthy and we keep Collins at LT.  Frankly, we didn't see that kind of pass blocking time regularly last year, and it's high on my list of major positives to take away from this game.

The Good is that IF we clean up the mistakes, we are a very dangerous and talented team.

This was my major takeaway, and the reason I kept calm during an ugly loss.  We owned the Bears when we weren't knifing ourselves in the gut.  Furthermore, our major historical offensive weaknesses (Andy's comp %, long ball accuracy, time to throw, and existence of underneath passing game) were all major strengths.  Granted, questionable playcalling can't account for that, but I suspect that will be added to the coaches list of things they need to improve.

As for the Defensive lapses...we were dominating when we seemed to have our heads in the game. I suspect Zimmer will clean these guys up real quick.

Archived