The Dirty Hit on Huber

IMO I guess you accomplish both by going out there and getting the job done.

Obviously they didn't accomplish that, but I wouldn't say the Bengals "showed no fight".  

They have no choice now, ...who are you going to take it out on, ...the Vikings?  ...that ship has sailed.  The Stoolers are post season couch potato players now.

Unfortunately, ...the Vikings will have an easy time antagonizing us into drawing penalties, ...we need Tez to step up his pranks.

IMO I guess you accomplish both by going out there and getting the job done.

Obviously they didn't accomplish that, but I wouldn't say the Bengals "showed no fight".  

Is that you Marvin?? Just kidding....

These games just require a different approach because what we do or try to do doesn't work. Sure we'll get one every once in awhile but the way they beat us is just embarrassing. Year after year we come to this form and bitch about cheap shots and dirty play and the results are the same. Change that shit up and be the hunter vs. the hunted. It's bull shit and it gets old. Hell as a fan I might take a different approach and just skip watching the bengals v shitsburgh game twice a year and just check the score. God knows it would be easier on my mental state.

Is that you Marvin?? Just kidding....

These games just require a different approach because what we do or try to do doesn't work. Sure we'll get one every once in awhile but the way they beat us is just embarrassing. Year after year we come to this form and bitch about cheap shots and dirty play and the results are the same. Change that shit up and be the hunter vs. the hunted. It's bull shit and it gets old. Hell as a fan I might take a different approach and just skip watching the bengals v shitsburgh game twice a year and just check the score. God knows it would be easier on my mental state.

I had resolved that  a couple years ago.   We are their bitches in PBS more than we are in Heinz.  If this year hadn't been the home opener I wouldn't have bothered making the 700 mile trip.

There is a difference in fighting to back to win and fighting back to stand up for a player that got seriously injured and the Steelers mocking it. And I am not talking about cheap shots. I think that is part your missing.

If they felt good then they would have stepped up against the Stoolers typical tactics, ...the Steelers are a rotten team in more ways than one.

We're talking about the only NFL team with a "how to" video on groin injuries ...

starks-wallace-dig.gif

"Remember, ...pinch, ...and twist

pinch, ...and twist,

...now keep working on the dummy".

I am most likely in the minority by saying that I didn't see much wrong with the hit on Huber.

Hear me out before I get chewed out please.

I saw the play and was too busy being pissed off once he broke open down the middle that I looked away until I heard about Huber getting destroyed. I saw the replay, and I just thought 'wow, what a hit'. I did not once think it was dirty. For one, Huber had to be blocked, he wasn't any more than a few yards away from the returner and needed to be blocked. Secondly, there are lots of people saying that he could have been 'nudged' or gently 'shoved' to the ground. Hell, the defender should just give him a blankie to lay down on as well while he is at it. The fact is, it IS frowned upon to light up a punter in such a physical manner, but guess what? This is football. Lastly, I do not believe the hit was meant to be dirty. Watch the video and pause at point of contact. He has his arms out in front, and his helmet is down to the left of Huber's, which consequently is hitting his face-mask due to the way he is facing; when you are squaring up, its tough to do much else. The player did not launch, etc.

Again, I'm sure I'll get chewed out for telling my opinion on it, but I do not believe it is that bad. Most of you guys know I punted in HS and you know enough to keep your head on a swivel as well. I was lit up a time or two in similar situations, but never felt like 'he could have just nudged me down'. You are in the wrong fucking sport if that is the mindset of the player receiving the hit, or the one that has every right to deliver more than a nudge in pro football.

My peace has been said.

I am most likely in the minority by saying that I didn't see much wrong with the hit on Huber.

I saw the play and was too busy being pissed off once he broke open down the middle that I looked away until I heard about Huber getting destroyed. I saw the replay, and I just thought 'wow, what a hit'. I did not once think it was dirty. For one, Huber had to be blocked, he wasn't any more than a few yards away from the returner and needed to be blocked. Secondly, there are lots of people saying that he could have been 'nudged' or gently 'shoved' to the ground. Hell, the defender should just give him a blankie to lay down on as well while he is at it. The fact is, it IS frowned upon to light up a punter in such a physical manner, but guess what? This is football. Lastly, I do not believe the hit was meant to be dirty. Watch the video and pause at point of contact. He has his arms out in front, and his helmet is down to the left of Huber's, which consequently is hitting his face-mask due to the way he is facing; when you are squaring up, its tough to do much else. The player did not launch, etc.

Again, I'm sure I'll get chewed out for telling my opinion on it, but I do not believe it is that bad. Most of you guys know I punted in HS and you know enough to keep your head on a swivel as well. I was lit up a time or two in similar situations, but never felt like 'he could have just nudged me down'. You are in the wrong fucking sport if that is the mindset of the player receiving the hit, or the one that has every right to deliver more than a nudge in pro football.

My peace has been said.

No chewing out here but I definitely disagree with your opinion. The crown of a helmet to a guys chin is a dirty hit no matter how you slice it. Secondly kickers and punters are considered defenseless players and are not allowed to be hit on punt or kick returns. Should have been a 15 yard penalty and an ejection along with a hefty fine.  

My peace has been said.

First of all, players aren't allowed to initiate contact with the crown of their helmets vs any opponent on any play. They also aren't allowed to launch themselves head first into an opponent. 

Second, punters and kickers are considered defenseless players on special teams plays because years ago the Eagles put bounties on Cowboys kickers. So ever since that got out punters and kickers are protected. They can't be hit in the head or neck at any time. They can be blocked and usually aren't very aggresive anyway. So shove them out of the way with 2 hands to the chest and no penalty.

Third, this happened in full view of the officials and none of them decided to throw a flag. That stinks of premeditation or coordination. If one official missed the block in the back against Hawkins, that's just bad officiating. If the whole crew misses a textbook cheapshot on the punter right in front of the returner, something is wrong, not just with the culture in Pittsburgh but in the officiating crew. They missed calls on all 3 Pittsburgh first quarter TD drives. They wrongly spotted the ball in the field of play when Huber picked up the bad snap. His forward progress isn't simply the spot most upfield where he had possession. He tried to avoid the punt rusher and voluntarily went into the endzone. It should have been a safety. On the TD pass to Brown, the Bengals only rushed 2 players and a couple of Steelers were downfield when the ball was thrown. A flag was thrown for ineligible receivers downfield but somehow overturned after a conference even though it was thrown by the linesman who is charged with keeping track of that.

As a father of a former HS kicker and current college D3 kicker, my opinion of the hit is that it was typical steeler dirty and completely unnecessary. Huber could have been blocked with one hand. Brown more than likely would have juked right past. Just looking at the video and how he launched himself into Huber is clear intent to me. And even by NFL rules it was illegal, can't really argue that.

Now the fact that it was the squealers and nothing was called is just so infuriating. 

Never happen but I think the trash should be fined 75% of his scheduled salary and immediately suspended and cannot return until Huber can play again. If Huber never plays again then see ya trash, have a trashy life don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

First of all, players aren't allowed to initiate contact with the crown of their helmets vs any opponent on any play. They also aren't allowed to launch themselves head first into an opponent. 

Second, punters and kickers are considered defenseless players on special teams plays because years ago the Eagles put bounties on Cowboys kickers. So ever since that got out punters and kickers are protected. They can't be hit in the head or neck at any time. They can be blocked and usually aren't very aggresive anyway. So shove them out of the way with 2 hands to the chest and no penalty.

Third, this happened in full view of the officials and none of them decided to throw a flag. That stinks of premeditation or coordination. If one official missed the block in the back against Hawkins, that's just bad officiating. If the whole crew misses a textbook cheapshot on the punter right in front of the returner, something is wrong, not just with the culture in Pittsburgh but in the officiating crew. They missed calls on all 3 Pittsburgh first quarter TD drives. They wrongly spotted the ball in the field of play when Huber picked up the bad snap. His forward progress isn't simply the spot most upfield where he had possession. He tried to avoid the punt rusher and voluntarily went into the endzone. It should have been a safety. On the TD pass to Brown, the Bengals only rushed 2 players and a couple of Steelers were downfield when the ball was thrown. A flag was thrown for ineligible receivers downfield but somehow overturned after a conference even though it was thrown by the linesman who is charged with keeping track of that.

Someone up-thread mention that it is practically impossible to "fix" games in the NFL, and while I agree with that sentiment I firmly believe that it is quite possible to "nudge" the outcome, and we're seeing it happen before our very eyes on an almost weekly basis.

My peace has been said.

Let me tell you why you are wrong.

Given that, by rule, the punter is considered a defenseless player, the punter now has an EXPECTATION that he can't be blindsided like that; and so, he isn't going to be looking out and protecting himself from it because, you know, it's against the rules.

The rules exists to be enforced. When this is done selectively, they lose their meaning.

What a lot of us were bemoaning this weekend isn't just the effect of these calls on our team or the outcomes of other games, it's the effect on the integrity of the sport itself.

Which, to my eye, has been compromised of late worse than I can remember...

Let me tell you why you are wrong.

Given that, by rule, the punter is considered a defenseless player, the punter now has an EXPECTATION that he can't be blindsided like that; and so, he isn't going to be looking out and protecting himself from it because, you know, it's against the rules.

The rules exists to be enforced. When this is done selectively, they lose their meaning.

What a lot of us were bemoaning this weekend isn't just the effect of these calls on our team or the outcomes of other games, it's the effect on the integrity of the sport itself.

Which, to my eye, has been compromised of late worse than I can remember...

x 1000.

Just another reason to hate the Stealers. 

Not like I needed more reasons to hate something I hate more than anything. 

And 2nd place on my hate list ins't even close. 

I agree.. Another team creeps closer every once in a while....then they totally redeem themselves.

Archived