What would it take for McCarron to Take Daltons job in 2016

What would it take for McCarron to take Daltons job for 2016?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What winning would be required?

• Win out the season but still lose playoff game
    • Win a playoff game
    • Win out season AND win a playoff game
    • Win 2 playoff games
    • Make it to Super Bowl
    • Win Super Bowl

thoughts?

If AJ MC gets a decisive playoff victory, I think it will create a QB controversy regardless how the post season goes after that 1 victory. If Andy comes back and takes over and goes back to primetime Andy then AJ MC has a better chance of earning the starting spot going forward. However, if Andy comes back, resumes starting role and does well then AJ MC will go back to the bench or will be traded by a team that would be looking for the next Matt Flynn or Matt Cassel.

Those are just my thoughts.

If AJ MC gets a decisive playoff victory, I think it will create a QB controversy regardless how the post season goes after that 1 victory. If Andy comes back and takes over and goes back to primetime Andy then AJ MC has a better chance of earning the starting spot going forward. However, if Andy comes back, resumes starting role and does well then AJ MC will go back to the bench or will be traded by a team that would be looking for the next Matt Flynn or Matt Cassel.

Those are just my thoughts.

So in other words,  it's basically a scenario of possibly much reward either way the cookie crumbles with pretty little risk involved....

Still it's way too early to be thinking about a Wally Pip/Lou Gehrig situation though.....can we wait for him to actually see how McCarreon plays with at least a full week and an active start as the QB become we start taking Dalton to the curb???

The only way the Bengals will replace a two-time pro bowler coming off his best season with a guy who only has a handful of games under his belt is if McCarron turns in one of the greatest QB playoff performances of all-time and takes the Bengals to the promised land.  Anything short of that and Andy will be reinstalled as the undisputed QB1 next training camp.

The only scenario in which McCarron takes over from Dalton next year would be this:

Dalton has an affair with a Bengals employee.

Dalton's wife finds out and moves back to Texas with the baby saying she'll never set foot in Cincinnati again.

Dalton demands to be traded or else he'll retire.

Regardless of what happens, I can't see a QB controversy as a realistic scenario, because Dalton makes too much money to sit on the bench.  The only way AJ starts is if the Bengals flip Dalton in a trade, which is highly unlikely IMO.  The more likely scenario is AJ plays well and he is one that gets flipped in a trade.  The most likely scenario is that AJ plays well and the Bengals keep him around as QB2 for at least another year (which gives them time to draft a QB3 they can groom to replace him).

The only scenario in which McCarron takes over from Dalton next year would be this:

Dalton has an affair with a Bengals employee.

Dalton's wife finds out and moves back to Texas with the baby saying she'll never set foot in Cincinnati again.

Dalton demands to be traded or else he'll retire.

Dalton finds trash thrown on his lawn.

Get picks for McCarron and draft the next back up. Simple. 

If the events of the last week have taught the Bengals anything, it is the importance of having a solid backup on hand.  I don't think they would trade McCarron before they have that 'next guy' already in house and with a year of clipboard holding under his belt. 

I want to weigh in on this topic because I have thought it myself. First of all, AD has had a great year thus far and deserves respect for that. I root for him to do well every week and hope he goes 19-0 every year. But I'm going to throw my opinion in. Andy Dalton is soft. I'm not knocking the guy, it's just an observation. In my opinion, Dalton lacks that "win at any cost" gene. Some guys have it and some guys don't. Dalton doesn't have it. This will continue to show itself in crucial moments and big games. Dalton is a solid QB and can win games, but he isn't the kind of guy that a team can turn to when chips are down to make a big play to win a big game. AD has shown some flashes here and there but overall, he just doesn't have that make up. Does that mean McCarron is the guy? I don't know. I haven't seen him in a big pro game yet. All you guys can act like it doesn't exist, but we all know what we've seen the past 4 years. You can try to act like you don't feel it deep inside, but you know it's there. AD isn't "that guy."  Just like the past makes us question Marvin Lewis, it should make us question Andy Dalton, too.

So what will it take for McCarron to take take over for Dalton? I'm just some guy on the internet typing on a message board, but for me, he has to show the willingness to stand in the pocket and deliver under pressure. He has to show the ability to move in the pocket and extend plays. But most of all, he has to show the willingness on a 3rd down to lower his shoulder and pick up that 2 yards for the 1st down when the team needs a first down. If he does that, he is showing that he has what AD lacks ... toughness and the desire to win no matter what.

Archived