Dawson Cut

I was surprised, but not shocked. Reading the tea leaves for awhile, even from Gary Patterson's comments when he was at TCU, he sounded like a guy who didn't always put in the work during the week, but showed up and showed out on game day. I saw a lot of Frogs' games, and he was a beast.

Paulie Guenther had some cautionary comments this spring, and it sounds like PJ didn't do enough to gain the coaches' trust. Basically, he sounds like a knucklehead who hasn't learned to be a pro. I'm assuming that consistency, both in preparation and in his play, sunk him. Being late to meetings, etc. isn't going to endear you to anyone, and when you're a pro, no one is going to coddle you. 

It'll be interesting to see if he comes back on the PS, and buckles down. Maybe someone else will claim him, because I believe he can play, but he needs an attitude adjustment wherever he ends up. 

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

I was surprised, but not shocked. Reading the tea leaves for awhile, even from Gary Patterson's comments when he was at TCU, he sounded like a guy who didn't always put in the work during the week, but showed up and showed out on game day. I saw a lot of Frogs' games, and he was a beast.

Paulie Guenther had some cautionary comments this spring, and it sounds like PJ didn't do enough to gain the coaches' trust. Basically, he sounds like a knucklehead who hasn't learned to be a pro. I'm assuming that consistency, both in preparation and in his play, sunk him. Being late to meetings, etc. isn't going to endear you to anyone, and when you're a pro, no one is going to coddle you. 

It'll be interesting to see if he comes back on the PS, and buckles down. Maybe someone else will claim him, because I believe he can play, but he needs an attitude adjustment wherever he ends up. 

Do you remember what Guenther's comments were ?  Were they similar to the comments he made when he called out Geno  ?

21 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

He slipped in the draft for a reason and unlike Burfict didn't have the passion. 

I also thinks this speaks to how well Trevor Roach played and see him along with Vigil and Burfict as the future and eventual starting 3. 

I like Roach, but don't think he is starting material.  I see his future role as more of a Vinny Rey type, a quality backup who you don't mind seeing in the game, but not a guy you want to see getting the majority of the snaps at a position.

29 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

He slipped in the draft for a reason and unlike Burfict didn't have the passion. 

I also thinks this speaks to how well Trevor Roach played and see him along with Vigil and Burfict as the future and eventual starting 3. 

This is a great point. It's all relative. Just pretend you drafted roach in the third round and keep the player who can help you win. 

13 hours ago, texbengal said:

Well said. Agree with the surprised but not shocked comment. 

Also worth noting that special teams probably played a major role in the decision. If the Bengals didn't view Dawson as a guy who was likely to be one of their top 4-5 LBers who was going to play a lot on defense (he was probably 6th behind the 3 starters, Vinny and Vigil), then special teams becomes the primary role for the last couple LBs on the roster. Roach has been a top special teamer and had a pretty big advantage over Dawson there.

Not garbage...his physical talents are undeniable. And it's not stupidity either. It is the Manziel-like Big Man on Campus Syndrome. His crap didn't stink at TCU. Entering the NFL--where everyone is as good or better--meant putting in the time, study, and effort to nudge ahead of those other guys. He didn't. Now he gets the final look over-do it or don't do it.

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Not garbage...his physical talents are undeniable. And it's not stupidity either. It is the Manziel-like Big Man on Campus Syndrome. His crap didn't stink at TCU. Entering the NFL--where everyone is as good or better--meant putting in the time, study, and effort to nudge ahead of those other guys. He didn't. Now he gets the final look over-do it or don't do it.

I disagree somewhat.

I think it is his instincts that are undeniable, which is something he used to great effect both in college and was serving him ok in the pros -- except when he was confronted with deception or the superior athleticism of the NFL, and then he was caught off guard and generally not in the right position. What Dawson lacks is the athletic ability to make up for that. 

I see it as a reason that his play actually declined somewhat since last preseason. He is trying to think and play disciplined, assignment based football - which is the only thing that will get you on the field with a Marvin Lewis defense, and it's tripping him up even more. 

I still think he has a little bit of Burfict in him. Both are actually somewhat limited athletically. The difference is that Burfict is a total student of the game, and he knows what's coming before it happens, and so he's there RIGHT NOW...but he also knows how to do that within the scheme. 

I though the first rounder talk was laughable when he came out, which was reinforced when lasted till the 99th pick (much the same with Billings, a "first round guy" who somehow lasted until the 4th). Still, when we got him at the end of the 3rd and he became a Bengal I was excited to see his potential tapped - especially because of the great instincts but limited athleticism that I thought could use some Burfict tutoring.  

Let's hope that the jolt of the practice squad, and perhaps spending some more time watching and listening to Vontaze, ends up helping him reach his full potential. 

If he doesn't sign to the practice squad soon I have serious doubts he will be back. Sounds like he has a bad reputation which will make it hard for some other team to sign him to the 53 man roster, maybe he will end up on another team's practice squad. 

The guy has talent but it seems as if he needs to remove his head from his ass and take this opportunity he has seriously before it's gone. 

Archived