Potential trade partners for McCarron

Who do you think will be the most likely teams to pursue AJ McCarron this offseason?

Teams definitely needing a QB in 2017

New York Jets

Chicago Bears

San Francisco 49ers

Teams potentially needing a QB

Cleveland Browns

Miami Dolphins

Teams with old QBs

Arizona Cardinals

New Orleans Saints

Obviously a team drafting in the top 10 probably wont part with a 1st rd pick. A team like the Cardinals might be willing to go a late rd 1st.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Rule 1: If you trade away a QB, trade him into the NFC

Rule 2: Based on precedent, Bengal QBs traded into insta-starter positions are worth a 1st round pick, a conditional 1st/2nd round pick the year after, and a coach.

The Bears, Cardinals, or 49ers would be the only teams I would consider trading him too, don't want him in the conference. Out of that list the Bears will be with a new HC probably or picking in the top 5 definitely and won't give up that pick for AJ. Same goes for the 49er's, can't see them giving up their top 5 pick for AJ and he doesn't really fit Chip Kelley's scheme.

However, the Cards could be a interesting destination depending on what they want to do with Carson. Also, they already traded away their 2nd round pick for Chandler Jones so I don't think they are going to trade away their first round pick as well for a back up QB, they signed Palmer for a contract extension through 2018. 

Maybe the Redskins would be a potential partner depending on how Cousin's contract negotiations play out. 

Sounds like some of you are scared of trading away a potentially great QB that we could have to match up against on a regular basis.

I say their is no way M.Brown trades McPooter.  Were talking about a guy that has been looking for a good QB for 20+ years and now he has two of them. No way he comes off the best insurance policy this team has had since Kitna,,,however this one is quite a bit more talented than Kitna. 

If M.Brown were to take a page out of the Patriots playbook he'd let the season play out then trade the higher cost player resign the cheaper one (no huge loss in talent) and use the money to bring in FA's for key positions in need of upgrade.

Instead of trading McPooter for one early pick Trade Dalton for a early pick and sign 2 big free agents. 

2 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Sounds like some of you are scared of trading away a potentially great QB that we could have to match up against on a regular basis.

I say their is no way M.Brown trades McPooter.  Were talking about a guy that has been looking for a good QB for 20+ years and now he has two of them. No way he comes off the best insurance policy this team has had since Kitna,,,however this one is quite a bit more talented than Kitna. 

If M.Brown were to take a page out of the Patriots playbook he'd let the season play out then trade the higher cost player resign the cheaper one (no huge loss in talent) and use the money to bring in FA's for key positions in need of upgrade.

Instead of trading McPooter for one early pick Trade Dalton for a early pick and sign 2 big free agents. 

We are talking offseason trade here, so yes, we are waiting for the season to play out.

No way they trade Dalton.  And they won't spend big money on free agents.

Trade AJ going into the last year of his contract.  They could probably get more in trade than they would in comp picks.  And I seriously doubt he re-signs here to be a backup.

Great thread, here is how I see it.

The Teams that will definitely want a QB

Jets
Browns
Bears
49ers

Teams that have a big investment in a current QB or a FA (Redskins)

Dolphins
Ravens
Texans
Jags
Titans
Redskins

Teams with a very veteran signal caller and no immediate answer as a backup

Stealers (34)
Chargers (34)
Giants (35)
Saints (37)
Cards (36)

Teams with a young QB situation where they won't be seeking another QB any time soon

Broncos
Cowboys
Rams

Teams with a young solid QB and/or a solid young backup to pair with an older fella (Pats)

Bills
Pats (39)
Bengals
Colts
Chiefs
Raiders
Eagles
Lions
Packers
Vikings
Falcons
Panthers
Bucs
Seahawks

The potential guys. 

Free Agents

Cousins, Kirk 12/4
Glennon, Mike 13/3
FITZPATRICK, RYAN T/Hou
Brian Hoyer
Jones, Landry 13/4
Nassib, Ryan 13/4
Manuel, EJ 13/1
Geno Smith

Cap Casualty or Trade

ROMO, TONY CF03
RG3

Trade

McCarron, AJ 14/5

Draft picks

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

This draft is not very good at QB. I fully expect McCarron and Mike Glennon both to have starting jobs come next fall. 

5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I think they might bring in some big FA's in the off season. We don't need a TO or a Pacman. All we really need is about 3 really good O-linemen. The quit guys that don't come with all the baggage as a big time over paid WR or DB.

You mean for a visit only to leave without a contract? Maybe. Otherwise, the Bengals aren't going to be signing any big free agents. What are the biggest free agent signings you've seen this team make in the last 30 years? Antonio Bryant? Neil O'Donnell? Antwan Odom? This team re-signs their own, brings in a few role playing free agents, typically a token over-the-hill "name" FA and the odd reclamation project (some of which turn out while many others have combusted). I actually agree with this principle by and large.

Their priorities will be to re-sign Zeitler, Kirkpatrick and likely Whitworth, LaFell and Hunt. After that, Mikey will have Hobson pump out the annual "when you take escalators, rookie pool, injury insurance, dead money, forfeitures, grievances and plagues in to account the Bengals are essentially salary cap broke" article. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I am getting off topic. My feeling on AJ McCarron is that his worth in the trade market is very likely less than his current worth to this team. He is a solid, capable back-up QB who can start and win should it be necessary. You aren't going to get that much in equitable return for him. Unless a team would be willing to give up a starting, younger player or a first or second round draft pick (which I highly doubt would happen) then, it's not worth moving him. The Bengals have had two decent back-up QBs in the Marvin Lewis era (aside from McCarron), Jon Kitna and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Guys like this are more valuable than you realize.

I agree with the poster who said, deal him at the end of 2017 for the best you can get for him and move on from there. Until then, unless a stupid good deal comes along, I'd keep him here.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

You mean for a visit only to leave without a contract? Maybe. Otherwise, the Bengals aren't going to be signing any big free agents. What are the biggest free agent signings you've seen this team make in the last 30 years? Antonio Bryant? Neil O'Donnell? Antwan Odom? This team re-signs their own, brings in a few role playing free agents, typically a token over-the-hill "name" FA and the odd reclamation project (some of which turn out while many others have combusted). I actually agree with this principle by and large.

Their priorities will be to re-sign Zeitler, Kirkpatrick and likely Whitworth, LaFell and Hunt. After that, Mikey will have Hobson pump out the annual "when you take escalators, rookie pool, injury insurance, dead money, forfeitures, grievances and plagues in to account the Bengals are essentially salary cap broke" article. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I am getting off topic. My feeling on AJ McCarron is that his worth in the trade market is very likely less than his current worth to this team. He is a solid, capable back-up QB who can start and win should it be necessary. You aren't going to get that much in equitable return for him. Unless a team would be willing to give up a starting, younger player or a first or second round draft pick (which I highly doubt would happen) then, it's not worth moving him. The Bengals have had two decent back-up QBs in the Marvin Lewis era (aside from McCarron), Jon Kitna and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Guys like this are more valuable than you realize.

I agree with the poster who said, deal him at the end of 2017 for the best you can get for him and move on from there. Until then, unless a stupid good deal comes along, I'd keep him here.

Isnt he a free agent at the end of 2017?

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I agree and no I haven't seen this team sign a big FA since TO.

My thinking is that if this season ends in another Wild Card loss or worse then M.Brown might actually try something different and bring in the FA's to help get this team over the hump. Remember I'm not talking about going after a overpaid WR or DB. I'm talking about offensive linemen, signings that will barely be a blip on the radar of ESPN and all the other media. If M.Brown truly wants this team to make a run he has got to bring in the big ugly's that can handle the dirty work. 

8 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

My thinking is that if this season ends in another Wild Card loss or worse then M.Brown might actually try something different and bring in the FA's to help get this team over the hump. Remember I'm not talking about going after a overpaid WR or DB. I'm talking about offensive linemen, signings that will barely be a blip on the radar of ESPN and all the other media. If M.Brown truly wants this team to make a run he has got to bring in the big ugly's that can handle the dirty work. 

It's not the players, it's the coach.  Or at worst, both.  They know it too - it's why they brought in McNally.

10 hours ago, GoBengals said:

didnt the saints just give brees a new deal and extension?

and dont we have mccarron for two more years since his rookie season didnt count since he wasnt active for 6+ games?

Im confused about the McCarron thing. If we do have him for 2 more years I wouldn't trade him this offseason for anything that didn't blow our socks off. They seem to be preparing to trade him with keeping 3 QBs on the roster. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Im confused about the McCarron thing. If we do have him for 2 more years I wouldn't trade him this offseason for anything that didn't blow our socks off. They seem to be preparing to trade him with keeping 3 QBs on the roster. 

This seemed to be the consensus last time we talked about this.

We control him through 2018. Unless someone offers us the farm, we probably don't move him till next offseason, not this.

It doesn't matter whether you're active, IR or whatever else in terms of 4 years until free agency. The one exception is if you're suspended (like Josh Gordon). 

So we have a year and a half left of McCarron and then he's probably going to get $10M+ a year.

We can't afford to pay a backup QB anywhere near that, so McCarron's days in Cincy are definitely numbered. 

Archived