Random 2022 Stuff

Gotta admit I have a really soft spot for Perine and his style of play, but Mixon was very good yesterday while Perine had at least one critical drop.  Not to over analyze, but I'd say we have 2 very capable RB's who can get the job done behind an improved OLine.  Color me happy and I'll eat some crow for being critical of Mixon lately.

Regarding the special teams woes as mentioned with penalties above....What's up with McFearsome?  His kickoffs aren't going thru the endzone anymore and it doesn't look to me to be due to purposely kicking it high for coverage purposes, and thankfully that missed extra point didn't end up haunting us.  Does he have some lingering injury or something that I'm forgetting?  Chrisman with a shank at a critical point.  Field position was an issue yesterday due to special teams play/penalties which needs to be cleaned up.

It’s cool we have two good running back options , right?

I remember James brooks / Ickey / Stanley Wilson in 1988. 

several quality backs is a great thing. Puts relentless pressure on defense no matter which back is in.  Why the need to slag one or the other?

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

It’s cool we have two good running back options , right?

I remember James brooks / Ickey / Stanley Wilson in 1988. 

several quality backs is a great thing. Puts relentless pressure on defense no matter which back is in.  Why the need to slag one or the other?

It's a pretty nice problem to have.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

And that's totally fine, I have no issue with that. I just disklike this narrative that Joe is the problem.

First of all, Joe Mixon had a good day yesterday.  Glad to see it.  I was more impressed with some of his other runs than the 40 yarder.    He was barely touched.  Yes, Perine could have done that, too.  It was a great play call against the Browns scheme.  I like seeing him run hard at the end of the game.

I also think the "Mixon is the problem narrative" is a bit of a stretch, at least when it comes to me.  I think he's been pretty average, which isn't a problem unless you consider his salary.  I also prefer Perine's total package to Mixon.  Power running, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and good at pass protection.  To me the only "problem" with Mixon is how much money he makes and how much money the Bengals need to spend on other players.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

First of all, Joe Mixon had a good day yesterday.  Glad to see it.  I was more impressed with some of his other runs than the 40 yarder.    He was barely touched.  Yes, Perine could have done that, too.  It was a great play call against the Browns scheme.  I like seeing him run hard at the end of the game.

I also think the "Mixon is the problem narrative" is a bit of a stretch, at least when it comes to me.  I think he's been pretty average, which isn't a problem unless you consider his salary.  I also prefer Perine's total package to Mixon.  Power running, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and good at pass protection.  To me the only "problem" with Mixon is how much money he makes and how much money the Bengals need to spend on other players.

See that's a different conversation than "We need to talk about Joe Mixon"

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

See that's a different conversation than "We need to talk about Joe Mixon"

and a bigger conversation than just him.  Extending the right contracts over the next 2 years will be challenging and they'll still need good drafts to avoid a setback.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It wasn't 40 yards 

I have no issue with Perine, I'd love to see some 2 RB sets, to keep opposing D's honest, or confused.

I just am over this narrative that Joe Mixon is the issue in the running game, the stats simply do not bear that out. 

I'm not as anti Mixon as you and others think.

My thinking is that he isn't all that and rather mediocre.

I don't think he will be replaced at the end of the year but I think we could do as well (better) cheaper

and his salary best used elsewhere.

My 2¢... end of train of thought and importantly (to me) I do NOT hold anything against anyone who disagrees with me or has a different opinion

or point of view.  Seriously, don't want this to degrade into a personal insult pissing contest with people I consider friends.

Save the pissing for Pissburgh and their ilk.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/watch-former-cornerback-adam-pacman-jones-scolds-bandwagon-bengals-fans

Watch: Former NFL Cornerback Adam 'Pacman' Jones Scolds Bandwagon Bengals Fans
The team is one of the hottest franchises in the NFL as the season's final stretch approaches.

11 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/watch-former-cornerback-adam-pacman-jones-scolds-bandwagon-bengals-fans

Watch: Former NFL Cornerback Adam 'Pacman' Jones Scolds Bandwagon Bengals Fans
The team is one of the hottest franchises in the NFL as the season's final stretch approaches.

That dude loves himself some Cincinnati Bengals!

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

I'd hate to be without both Trey and Ossai. We can't give Brady all day in the pocket, he'll pick us apart

As much as any competent QB would.  This is not 2020 Brady we're facing, I don't think he's accepted that he can't make the same throws he used to & will throw INTs if the coverage is solid.  He's playing like a 45 year old guy that wishes he'd retired a Super Bowl MVP 2 years ago.

22 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

That dude loves himself some Cincinnati Bengals!

Pretty cool.  Mike Brown stepped out for him and stood by him.  It’s good to see Jones standing by the team.  It’s obvious he’s a different guy than he was coming out of college.  Hope they make him King of the Jungle soon. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Completely non-Bengals related, but I know our Sois would have interest:

Mike Leach suffers heart attack, situation dire for Mississippi State football coach

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/2022/12/12/mike-leach-heart-attack-mississippi-state-football-coach/69720334007/

It saddens me - even though he's a bit crazy, he is likable - unless you're a player he locks in a shed, I suppose. 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'm not as anti Mixon as you and others think.

My thinking is that he isn't all that and rather mediocre.

I don't think he will be replaced at the end of the year but I think we could do as well (better) cheaper

and his salary best used elsewhere.

My 2¢... end of train of thought and importantly (to me) I do NOT hold anything against anyone who disagrees with me or has a different opinion

or point of view.  Seriously, don't want this to degrade into a personal insult pissing contest with people I consider friends.

Save the pissing for Pissburgh and their ilk.

I'm not taking it personally. My issue is the thing we have discussed which is that until week 9 the Oline hadn't gelled and nobody, not even Perine was getting anything done. When that happened after week 9, both backs produced. 

As to the contract and what he is paid. If the Bengals decide to part ways with him before the contract has finished they set a precedent that they can and might do that with other players too. That's fine if you are the team that does contracts in a way that you front load it or back load it and cut guys before they pay out. However we are team that makes a point that guys get paid their full contract, and if we change that it's going to have a ripple effect in our ability to sign or keep other guys, because now we are a team that did something we said we don't do. That's a problem. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Pretty cool.  Mike Brown stepped out for him and stood by him.  It’s good to see Jones standing by the team.  It’s obvious he’s a different guy than he was coming out of college.  Hope they make him King of the Jungle soon. 

I think you mean Ruler of the Jungle?

He was in week 9

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/adam-pacman-jones-named-week-9-ruler-of-the-jungle

Archived