The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Bengals still have one of the worst by any metric available. The average may be bad but they're well below even that. Doesn't excuse not drafting OL at all. 

Im not saying not to draft OL, I just don’t really think it has to be done in R1 is all. 

Now obviously that changes if we end up picking high enough to get one of the very top guys available. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gupps said:

As I posted in another thread, I think the Bengals OL problem is mainly coaching. Pollack has not developed anyone that I'm aware of and it can't all be bad luck Maybe the scheme doesn't fit the players or it is too complicated (missed assignments,  Volson knocking down the C  because he went the wrong way, etc..). A coaching change might not make them all Pro Bowlers but it can't make them any worse.  Bengals draft priority should be to protect Burrow because without him they are going nowhere.

The problem is partly coaching but there are not many better options out there, if you fire Pollack who is going to get to replace him? Taylor fired Pollack once before and he hired Jim Turner, who was most recently fired from Texas State for being Jim Turner. Firing people without a proven better option isn't the right thing to do, it's an emotional reaction that often blows up in your face. 

Willie Anderson could be a great offensive line coach, he's been coaching high school and college kids for a long time in Atlanta and he's even been consulted by some NFL teams. Having a guy who played at an HOF level coach you is different because he can teach you techniques that actually work and he's not some hack like Turner who has never played at a high level.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The problem is partly coaching but there are not many better options out there, if you fire Pollack who is going to get to replace him? Taylor fired Pollack once before and he hired Jim Turner, who was most recently fired from Texas State for being Jim Turner. Firing people without a proven better option isn't the right thing to do, it's an emotional reaction that often blows up in your face. 

Willie Anderson could be a great offensive line coach, he's been coaching high school and college kids for a long time in Atlanta and he's even been consulted by some NFL teams. Having a guy who played at an HOF level coach you is different because he can teach you techniques that actually work and he's not some hack like Turner who has never played at a high level.

I think you look as assistant Oline coaches for your next guy, and preferably from some team that has a good Oline. 

I like Roy Istvan from the Eagles.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

A lot of teams do.  Just look at Burrow’s draft.  7 tackles chosen in 1st round.  1 great (Tristan Wirfs 4th tackle chosen) 5 ok and 1 guy played 1 game and is already out of the league, Isaiah Wilson Titans.   Getting an OK tackle in the first round is now a goal. 

It took Penei Sewell a year to figure it out.  Detroit fans thought he was a bust after the first year b

Isaiah Wilson..

Boy did I get him wrong.

Getting inside a kids head to see his 

,desire to excell is as important as any physical trait.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you look as assistant Oline coaches for your next guy, and preferably from some team that has a good Oline. 

I like Roy Istvan from the Eagles.

Yes but PM has a good point about Willie 

Love to see him get the job as I've grown more skeptical on Pollack's methods.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

[Bengals next O-line coach]: “Hold my beer.” 🍺

[Sorry.  I’m in a very dark place regarding this team.]

I LOL'd.  Thanks.  😅

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I actually thought about Big Willie when I was typing that. Glad I wasn't alone.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gupps said:

I LOL'd.  Thanks.  😅

I actually thought about Big Willie when I was typing that. Glad I wasn't alone.

It's decided then...someone inform Pollack he's been fired by the members of the GoBengals.com message board, send the jet to collect Large William, and send out the press release...Ryan you got this covered?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bengals may not make it into top 10 of the draft. If we lose out to finish 5-12, I think all the other current 5 win teams will get at least 1 more victory this season. But not many of the current 4 win teams will get to 6 wins to draft after us. 

We won't get a shot at Alt or Fashanu.

No thanks to Latham, he looks to me like a poor man's Evan Neal. 

If we haven't extended Tee before the draft, then Bowers or a WR would make sense in round 1. We need a RT and C in this draft. I don't trust Pollak to develop project guys so we probably need to use early picks there. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes but PM has a good point about Willie 

Love to see him get the job as I've grown more skeptical on Pollack's methods.

I would much rater see Max Montoya.

Remember how he was the league's best stealth holder, holding without getting

caught, and how he introduces spraying Pam anti stick kitchen spray on the dark jerseys

to prevent D linemen from engaging.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Well, we do love to draft players that have won awards….   

[Who needs a large scouting department when conferences give out awards to let you know who their best players are?    No 🥷   ]

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals may not make it into top 10 of the draft. If we lose out to finish 5-12, I think all the other current 5 win teams will get at least 1 more victory this season. But not many of the current 4 win teams will get to 6 wins to draft after us. 

We won't get a shot at Alt or Fashanu.

No thanks to Latham, he looks to me like a poor man's Evan Neal. 

If we haven't extended Tee before the draft, then Bowers or a WR would make sense in round 1. We need a RT and C in this draft. I don't trust Pollak to develop project guys so we probably need to use early picks there. 

I think realistically we move up 3 spots. Above the Rams, Saints, and I think Bucs win 5 of their last 6 as they are playing some pretty horrible teams down the stretch. Drafting at 12 gives us an outside shot at Alt imho. There is going to be at least 2 QBs taken, likely 3, at least 1 WR, likely 2, Likely 1 DT, and at least 1 DE maybe even 2 And Bowers in the top 10 isnt out of the question either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Well, we do love to draft players that have won awards….   

[Who needs a large scouting department when conferences give out awards to let you know who their best players are?    No 🥷   ]

The kid is an absolute monster, the awards have nothing to do with it. 

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

The kid is an absolute monster, the awards have nothing to do with it. 

the guy playing next to him is someone I have my eye on too

If we can't resign Reader, Daxon Dezel looks the part, hell even if we do resign Reader I would like to have him.

On 11/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, BlackJesus said:

My way too early wish list would have TE Brock Bowers at the top, as I think Burrow has always been deprived of the security blanket of a dominant TE over the middle, a luxury that Mahomes and Lamar have. 

bowers.jpg

You're not wrong but he's also been deprived of an OL that can keep him healthy & on the field for an entire season.

Any other concern is a distant second.

#2 may be a TE but I'd also like a RB that can create on his own and doesn't need perfect textbook blocking in order to gain more than 2 yards. Smiling a lot is optional. A credible running threat would protect JB as much as an OL. Mixon doesn't scare anybody other than his neighbors and people in front of him in turn lanes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You're not wrong but he's also been deprived of an OL that can keep him healthy & on the field for an entire season.

Any other concern is a distant second.

#2 may be a TE but I'd also like a RB that can create on his own and doesn't need perfect textbook blocking in order to gain more than 2 yards. Smiling a lot is optional. A credible running threat would protect JB as much as an OL. Mixon doesn't scare anybody other than his neighbors and people in front of him in turn lanes.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It's decided then...someone inform Pollack he's been fired by the members of the GoBengals.com message board, send the jet to collect Large William, and send out the press release...Ryan you got this covered?

Maybe it’s the weed, but this made me chuckle. 🤭 

• Upvote 1