We'll certainly take at least 1 WR in this draft and most likely a LB or two. I'm assuming that Bailey and Bachie re-sign before the draft on cheap 1 year deals. If a rookie can beat them out, we'd have him for 4 years. We also need to re-sign Tupou and Scharping. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dex said:

Why wouldn't you want a WR? The draft is incredibly deep with them. The Bengals have to replace Boyd this year and likely Higgins next year. That to me is a double dip position, maybe a WR on Day Two and another one on Day Three.

They resigned Irwin and drafted Yoshi and Jones last year. I'd rather have another OL than a WR. If they draft one with a late day 3 pick I wont be too pissed but I'd rather see Burrow stay healthy next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gupps said:

They resigned Irwin and drafted Yoshi and Jones last year. I'd rather have another OL than a WR. If they draft one with a late day 3 pick I wont be too pissed but I'd rather see Burrow stay healthy next year.

Yes 

12 hours ago, gupps said:

I want a WR in the second round. Partly because of the incredible success that the Bengals have had with 2nd round WRs going back decades, but because there will be so many good ones going off the board around that slot. If Ladd McConkey should slip, he's definitely the one. Otherwise, I would love me some Roman Wilson, Ja'Lynn Polk, Ricky Pearsall...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The main thing for me is DON'T draft an unathletic OLineman, especially in round one. Here is a pic posted by Joe Goodberry on twitter showing what the Bengals could have had if they had just drafted the very next OL that had an RAS of 9.5+ instead of the bust that was picked.  Having said that, I would also be happy if either Newton or Murphy were selected. Edit to add, I don't consider Volsen to be a bust, but we COULD have done better.

olineathelets.jpg

Edited by Sox
Correct error
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sox said:

The main thing for me is DON'T draft an unathletic OLineman, especially in round one. Here is a pic posted by Joe Goodberry on twitter showing what the Bengals could have had if they had just drafted the very next OL that had an RAS of 9.5+ instead of the bust that was picked.  Having said that, I would also be happy if either Newton or Murphy were selected. Edit to add, I don't consider Volsen to be a bust, but we COULD have done better.

olineathelets.jpg

Whatcha got for some of those ‘Neer prospects? 

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:53 PM, sparky151 said:

We'll certainly take at least 1 WR in this draft and most likely a LB or two. I'm assuming that Bailey and Bachie re-sign before the draft on cheap 1 year deals. If a rookie can beat them out, we'd have him for 4 years. We also need to re-sign Tupou and Scharping. 

The signing of Scharping and Tupou show the lack of any decent depth.

What are D. Smith, Carman, Hill and the l two before mentioned if they sustain injuries?

Bad  situation if so.

Adding another capn friendly vet more productive than what they have would appear to make sense.

Katy is aware.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

OK... I admit it.

What is RAS?

I don't speak initials and abbreviations very well/

Relative Athletic Score

Relative Athletic Score (RAS) is a metric that combines the various categories measured at the NFL Combine -- height, weight, wingspan, drill exercises -- into one aggregate number that's then contextualized against other athletes of the same position.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JC said:

Rumor has it - Frank wanted to draft Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith in 21 and was overrode on both.

That's why they haven't fired Frank. Because they've been sabotaging his OL room by drafting bums over the glass eaters he wanted. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JC said:

Rumor has it - Frank wanted to draft Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith in 21 and was overrode on both.

If true, that’s insane… I mean, I get Creed… he was a high pick, so not shocked… but Trey was a late round guy who was highly regarded coming into the draft and I was scratching my head wondering why he was sitting there for so long. A low-risk, high ceiling pick if ever there was one… and he’s been really good for KC. Given the Bengals’ seemingly forever struggles on the OL, why would someone override that?!? Nuts. 

• Upvote 1

It's a shame that the Bengals got penalized in the 1st round tiebreaker for having a tougher schedule that the 4 other teams that finished with the same record. With the Bengals looking for OT help, The Saints(14) and the Seahawks are almost certain to draft OL themselves which figures to take 2 of the Bengals Big Board favorites off the board.

A team that figures to get a lot of trade calls on draft night is the Jaguars at pick 17.  Last year they were about 3 slots ahead of Cincinnati and took a small trade-back deal with the Bills to take an OT themselves. I could see the Jags trading back this year, but no more than 3 or so slots. I just wonder what it might cost the Bengals to move up one slot themselves. The Jags might prefer a trade with the Bengals if they aren't planning to draft OL themselves, even if the return is less than it would be with the Stealers(20) or another team in that general area. The Jags would know exactly what position would fall to them with pick 18 if they want a specific player.

• Upvote 1

I could see the Rams jumping up ahead of the Bengals to get Murphy. It really does feel like the Bengals might be going that route if the tackles do fly off the board quick and Nix/Penix aren’t surprise selections.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JC said:

I could see the Rams jumping up ahead of the Bengals to get Murphy. It really does feel like the Bengals might be going that route if the tackles do fly off the board quick and Nix/Penix aren’t surprise selections.

Agree that the Rams are a strong trade up possibility too. They have more draft capital this year than they have ever had before. But the Rams might prefer an EDGE like Latu over Murphy. Hard to say.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I think the Bengals need to be prepared to move up a few slots. They have 10 draft picks and 10 new guys are not even making this roster. 

Based upon the plethora of mock drafts, and the knowledge of the potential players spewed forth in this forum, I would recommend trading back a few spots in Round-1, still getting a coveted player plus some additional draft capital.  THEN using our draft capital to move up in Round-2 and/or get a second Round-2 pick…or Round-3 pick.  Let’s have more picks in “the sweet spot”, wherever that might be.  🦗

• Upvote 2