Tyler Boyd talks about idea he could join Stealers in free agency

Chris Roling
Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 4:27 PM CST·1 min read

bbc639e9ec89b5c0d4b3f3bf1521631f

Before he heads to NFL free agency, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Tyler Boyd was announced as a member of the WPIAL Hall of Fame Class of 2024.

A massive honor for the former Clairton football and Pittsburgh Panthers star, Boyd fielded many questions about his career recently during events related to the nomination.

One of those centered on the future.

While Boyd had nothing but good things to say about a Bengals organization that took a risk on him, he also gave an expected answer when asked what he thought about possibly joining the Pittsburgh Stealers in free agency.

“You never know,” Boyd told Dominic Campbell of Pittsburgh Sports Now. “I love Coach Tomlin. He’s probably one of the realest dudes in the sport’s business. Obviously, I played at Pitt, and I had a lot of run-ins with him and talked to him just about football. His personality is more like a father figure, it’s a great connection, but who knows? Even if I don’t go after this year, I could do a one-year deal at the end of my career and maybe finish up, but who knows.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The entire interview is very much worth a read, but Boyd leaving the Bengals to go home is something fans have speculated for a while now. There, he’d play the Bengals twice a year while forming a trio with George Pickens and Diontae Johnson.

Given the hometown connection, the Stealers have to be considered one of the likeliest landing spots for Boyd if he and the Bengals don’t find a way to work something out while the major contracts go to Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.

• Upvote 1

I really despise reporters. Toss a red meat question—one which is a certainty to be a positive answer—and then make a mountain of fake shit controversy. 

What’s the guy supposed to say: no I hate my home area, and the city I played college football in? Or I want Mike Tomlin dead, so I can run over his carcass with my car? 

How many times did he repeat “who knows?”. 

Fuck the media. 

• Upvote 2

Well, for teams out of the playoffs, it IS rumor and speculation season.

That said, could see Tyler going somewhere like Pitt. He's very QB-friendly, and the Stealers haven't exactly had a reliable set of WRs of late - Claypool, Diontae Johnson, Pickens, etc.  Tyler does a lot of things right... he's where he's supposed to be, he's catches the ball (SB, and last year a few bad drops notwithstanding), he's tough, he blocks, he plays hurt, he's smart. Would be a great mentor for other WRs and help a young/inexperienced QB. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:35 PM, AngrySquirrel said:

Just toss Boyd in there with the jersey. Let him swim to his new team.

I like that idea.😎

I'm thinking Chicago could use him 

as well as Washington ( who have the cap to sign anyone.)..

• Upvote 1