7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Allen  never rushed for more than 223 times his last 12 seasons.  Averaged about 175 attempts those last 12 years.  Caught a lot of passes for that era. 

Waters was done by age 30/31  from overuse. 

Watters had 1850 yrds from scrimmage at age 31. Allen made the pro bowl at 33. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

RB Moss 26 Brown 27 Williams 25 Evans 25 Collins 27

I think we all assumed that a draft pick was coming to push Evans off the roster in the fall. Yet here we are. Collins seems interesting. Great Freshman year at Michigan St.....but that was in 2019. 

We could go in lots of different directions. Boston Scott is still out there. Our camp RB Jacob Saylors is doing well with AJ McCarron in the UFL. Most likely its just a UDFA. 

EDIT Noah Cain added

Moss 26 Brown 27 Williams 25 Evans 25 Collins 27 Cain 27

After the Bengals draft they still have a very thin RB room. Any chance they go back into the free agent market? Still some interesting RBs available out there, still have cap room for one too...

Best Remaining Running Back Free Agents, 2024:

• Ezekiel Elliott
  • Dalvin Cook
  • Rashaad Penny
  • Cam Akers
  • Joshua Kelley
  • Latavius Murray
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Matt Breida
  • Jerick McKinnon
  • Jakob Johnson
  • Kevin Smith
  • Boston Scott
  • Melvin Gordon
  • Alex Armah
  • Brandon Bolden
  • Eno Benjamin

29 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ I would kick the tires on Rashad Penny. 

Former first Rd pick. Lots of potential if healthy. 

I'm really sad we missed out on drafting Estime (Fuck you Broncos!)  😢 

That was such a kick in the balls for me.  I wanted him badly.

• Upvote 2

There’s a pretty good possibility Samaje shakes loose in Denver after they took Estime. Not sure they’d take on $1.5M in dead cap though. It’s clearly going to be a rough year for them though.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I think they are waiting to see who is cut as the preseason gets rolling, even final cuts and the guys

teams are trying to fly under the radar and get back.

Bengals are aces at getting those kind of players.

May also be some June 1st cuts as well?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

The Athletic:

It might take a minute to get used to the Bengals without Joe Mixon, given his lengthy tenure in Cincinnati. Zack Moss could be an upgrade, though, if he maintains the same potent running he displayed last season with the Indianapolis Colts. Moss’ role changed once a healthy Jonathan Taylor returned, hence a dip in his EPA over the second half of the season.

Second-year  tailback Chase Brown also brought an explosiveness in limited action last season. A Moss-Brown mix, even if Moss plays the primary role, should improve a sluggish 2023 ground game.

40 minutes ago, dex said:

The Athletic:

It might take a minute to get used to the Bengals without Joe Mixon, given his lengthy tenure in Cincinnati. Zack Moss could be an upgrade, though, if he maintains the same potent running he displayed last season with the Indianapolis Colts. Moss’ role changed once a healthy Jonathan Taylor returned, hence a dip in his EPA over the second half of the season.

Second-year  tailback Chase Brown also brought an explosiveness in limited action last season. A Moss-Brown mix, even if Moss plays the primary role, should improve a sluggish 2023 ground game.

I think it may be Brown-Moss duo.

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I think it may be Brown-Moss duo.

I think the plan is to make it close to a 50-50 split. 

I think Moss will get the majority of snaps when Burrow is in shotgun - that was the scheme where he excelled rushing from last year. As in 5.2 YPA. 

Brown will likely get more snaps when Burrow is under center...could be a terror in the screen game.

• Like 1

Just some food for thought, but I read Dolphins HC Mike McDaniel suggest that starting RB or WR may end up returning kickoffs under the new rules.  The logic being the possibility of big returns without the previous risk of the opponent getting a 50 yard running head start.  He also said that you could see more starting defensive players on coverage teams as well.  Not sure if it plays out that way but it wasn’t something I had considered before.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just some food for thought

The kickoff is going to become another offensive play with starters from both sides of the ball on the field. Could even use a QB for a lateral pass back there. 

Not sure what the players union will think when many guys are only on the team for special teams. Not great for job security. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The kickoff is going to become another offensive play with starters from both sides of the ball on the field. Could even use a QB for a lateral pass back there. 

OR…teams will merely kick into, and through, the end zone, giving the opponent the ball at the 30…instead of risking a long return.  :shrug:  

I guess we’ll see how it plays out in pre-season, but the NFL’s plan to revive the kickoff return may possibly lead to even fewer returns.  🦗

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cricket said:

the ball at the 30…instead of risking a long return.  :shrug:  

Then they should have made the penalty the 40 yd line, and likely will if everyone is kicking it through the end zone. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Then they should have made the penalty the 40 yd line, and likely will if everyone is kicking it through the end zone. 

The ball does go to the 40 if kicked out of bounds or it lands short of the 20. Basically, it's 40 for bad kicks, 30 for touchbacks, and wherever the play finishes for balls that land inside the 20 and stay in the field of play. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Cricket said:

OR…teams will merely kick into, and through, the end zone, giving the opponent the ball at the 30…instead of risking a long return.  :shrug:  

I guess we’ll see how it plays out in pre-season, but the NFL’s plan to revive the kickoff return may possibly lead to even fewer returns.  🦗

That’s definitely a possibility and we won’t know until the season starts.  I also read that in the UFL, the kicker was involved with the return (tackle, attempted tackle, making the returner change direction, etc.) on something like 25-40% of the returns.  That’s concerning in terms of injury risk and was a major reason why the UFL ditched the rule.