Trey Hendrickson requests a trade !

Just now, Le Tigre said:

Neither has his agent or Trey. Neither side can divulge specifics of contractural negotiations until such time that either side signs off. 

I do this stuff all the time. 

Fair enough, but at this point you're assuming a lot of things based on feelings from how the Bengals did things 30+ years ago. I think the answer is a lot simpler than that.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jackie Treehorn said:

Fair enough, but at this point you're assuming a lot of things based on feelings from how the Bengals did things 30+ years ago. I think the answer is a lot simpler than that.

Perhaps. But as long as that old bald guy runs things, one never knows what he will do. 

The retirement threat to me looks really bad on Trey, as that's like the 'nuclear option' in negotiations and makes the team not want to even listen to you after that. 

The idea that a 29 year old player who just had his best year would quit and make $0 rather than $15 million because he thinks he deserves $20 million is absurd.

And if he wants to do the "I'll take my ball and go home" baby shit, then Duke should just laugh in his face. 

Yeah, on the open market Trey would get 25 a year instead of 15, but that pay difference exists all the time when a player takes the security of a longer term deal like Trey did.

In a few years, Burrow will be underpaid as his deal reaches its last 2 years as well.

IMG_20240425_013308.jpg

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals bet him on being a star player and won the bet. Fair and square. The players can't win every contract. 

But they can win the whining contest. 
Trey has 2 clear choices - make $29M for the next two years or make zero. Black meet white, grey has been dismissed. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure the Bengals front office were not happy with the timing of this, the night before they go on the draft clock.

It was unnecessary to announce this now, especially as they can't even extend Trey for 3 more months per NFL rules anyway. 

It also caused Tee's rat-faced agent Mulugheta to reiterate his demand for a trade as well, so now the media is running with the "2 Bengals stars both want out, what's wrong in Cincy?" narrative. 🙄

51 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I'm sure the Bengals front office were not happy with the timing of this, the night before they go on the draft clock.

It was unnecessary to announce this now, especially as they can't even extend Trey for 3 more months per NFL rules anyway. 

It also caused Tee's rat-faced agent Mulugheta to reiterate his demand for a trade as well, so now the media is running with the "2 Bengals stars both want out, what's wrong in Cincy?" narrative. 🙄

As all this goes on Katy sits in her office knowing both will play this year.

Nothing has changed.

Draft board stays the same.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, saphead said:

Fucking retire then. And sky-point your way right out the fucking door. 

No man, at least get something for him.  I bet the Patriots or Panthers would take him. 

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

Trey Hendrickson is a power rusher that left many games with back issues and is 29. Trade him. He will never get to where he was last year. He doesn't have pass rush moves. He has a motor. 

Maybe he hears the footsteps of

Myles Murphy ...😎

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Trey Hendrickson is a power rusher that left many games with back issues and is 29. Trade him. He will never get to where he was last year. He doesn't have pass rush moves. He has a motor. 

I tend to agree with this. No doubt he's been great, but his back issues at his age concerns me. If he wasn't making these demands I'd keep him, but I'd be okay with trading him now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BengalBacker said:

I tend to agree with this. No doubt he's been great, but his back issues at his age concerns me. If he wasn't making these demands I'd keep him, but I'd be okay with trading him now.

This is a more eloquent way to put it. I love him on the roster. At this price. And maybe higher, but not much and not longer. Someone will pay for him and then give him a long term contract he won't finish. 

• Upvote 2

He’s their only pass rushing threat that's proven… they are keeping him. I’m sure he wants longer term security… who doesn’t?

He got an extension last year and he happily signed it, so let him play out this year, see how he does, see how his back and overall health are, and also see how Murphy and Ossai perform. Then decide. For now, nothing changes. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BengalBacker said:

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

This is a more eloquent way to put it. I love him on the roster. At this price. And maybe higher, but not much and not longer. Someone will pay for him and then give him a long term contract he won't finish. 

You are winning me over.

Better to trade him a year too early than a year too late.

Age and back issues are a concern.  I say there's a good chance he retires after next year no matter where he is.

I'm also thinking no team would give all that much for him in a trade, anyway.

Great guy and addition to the team but his best football days are behind him.

• Upvote 2

My concern is the Bengals are doing what they did when Carson signed long term. Getting cheap again because they think they can win with just the top end QB.

That may get you into the playoffs, but as we saw last year with Mahomes. He did not win by himself, their defense carried him.

It can't be a one man show.

It's why I think Carson finally got fed up, and Chad the year before him. 

I'm not on this "fuck these players" train. This is solely on management.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

But the day before the draft is EXACTLY when you would expect a request like this. Ditto Higgins reaffirming his desire to be traded. If a veteran player is going to be traded, it will be for draft picks. Both Hendrickson and Higgins will not get their wishes granted though. Deep down they probably know it, even if their agents don't.

• Upvote 1

He's got zero leverage except for asking for a trade, but he's under contract until 2025. I'm sure the Bengals could give him a bit more cash to make him happy but he did just sign an extension and is an integral part of the team. 

I'm sure his agent has been talking with a few teams that will give him an extension but why would the Bengals trade their best pass rusher who is under contract until 2025? 

• Upvote 1